Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Keep in mind this is 6" form factor device. PDFs created for trade paperback or A4 or 8-1/2 x 11 format are going to be "small" by definition. The great attraction of pdfs is they preserve the page markup intact. If you reduce the screen size by 50%, yes, it's going to be small. Pan and zoom help in a pinch, but what's really needed is ePub not pdf. This applies to all readers, not just the Kobo.
Believe it or not, I was able to read pdf on my pocketpc quite comfortably it was the size of the device which tired me out.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthoid View Post
They have some kind of desktop software on the device (I cannot find a separate web download for it) which the sales person mentioned did something but its not clear to me what that would be and I have no other information. So that is why I asked the question.
When you plug the Kobo into your computer, it should be recognized as a removable USB drive -- just like a digital camera. In my case, it shows up as the temporary drive "F'". Open that, and there are three folders -- one of them labeled "Desktop Installers". Open that, and there are two folders: one for Mac OS X and one for Windows. I clicked on the Windows one and it shows one file, "Desktopinstaller". Double click that to install the PC software that will be the bridge between the Kobo bookstore and your new Kobo. If you already have a Kobo account, you can login; if not, create a new account.

It's pretty much dead simple although the printed instruction could be clearer.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #18
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I clicked on the Windows one and it shows one file, "Desktopinstaller". Double click that to install the PC software that will be the bridge between the Kobo bookstore and your new Kobo. If you already have a Kobo account, you can login; if not, create a new account.
So other than allow you to buy/download from their store and perhaps organize your books what else does this Desktop software do? Does it perform and conversion of existing files?

Thanks
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthoid View Post
So other than allow you to buy/download from their store and perhaps organize your books what else does this Desktop software do? Does it perform and conversion of existing files?

Thanks
You can use the Desktop software to read books you've purchased from Kobo as well. When we release firmware updates, the Desktop software will be used to update the device.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #20
cycles
cycles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thumbs up

I'm happy! This is my first e-book reader. I tried reading e-books on PCs, Macs and smart phones and was less than pleased. This device is so much better. The text is clear, the device is easy to use and purchasing content from kobobooks.com is painless. I'm currently reading a bestseller and enjoying it as much as I enjoy paper books.

There are, of course, a few minor bugs but I suspect that Kobo will fix them soon. I'm also a little concerned about publishers insisting on restrictive DRM and agency pricing but will wait to see how that unfolds.

So far, so good.
cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #21
srid
srid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
You can use the Desktop software to read books you've purchased from Kobo as well. When we release firmware updates, the Desktop software will be used to update the device.
I have a question. When you press the 'sync' button in the Desktop software, does it do the processing of books ... so, when the USB cable is disconnected, the device won't have to it laboriously do it itself? I ask because I use those OReilly epubs, by copying them in the USB device, and the processing stage in the ereader is taking forever.
srid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #22
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
The device is my first e-ink based reader and I'm generally pleased with the reading experience on it. Also I found that the screen refreshes were manageable for reading, but for using the menus and scrolling pdfs the refreshes create a delay which takes some getting used to (ie. different from using a device which uses an LCD screen).

$149 is a great step for the eBook industry (Kobo's strategy is well thought out) and we may see lower prices for ebook readers if the eReader proves successful. Still feel that the device is best suited at an $89-$100 price point.

Happy Reading and God Bless.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #23
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
Ok, this is going to sound stupid, but how do I rename it?

And do I have to do this individually? I have more than 60 ebooks all but a few in HTML. Since I can do the converting in bulk, it wasn't a problem, but if I have to do this one by one....it's just not worth it.
Get a WinRAR or free Zip or something that deals with zip files, you don't have to rename anything, in my case I use winrar, I set winrar as default opener for .epub instead of adobe digital edition, and I open each and every epub file that I have with it, found a file called stylesheets.css , right click it and delete it, and that's it. This whole process can be done without rename the file and it won't damage the .epub files. If you don't know how to set a software as default opener for a file, just right click the file, choose "open file with" or something like that in the menu, then you'll be able to browse which software you wish to open that typical file defaultly.
The whole process take me about 1 minute for all my 40+ files, so I'd say it's worth it.

Last edited by ttluisa; 05-05-2010 at 05:46 PM.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #24
cycles

I've shown my Kobo to a few friends and coworkers. They all love the hardware. The most common remark was that the screen is surprisingly clear and easy on the eyes.

Unfortunately few of them plan to buy a Kobo or any other e-book reader in the near future. DRM, pricing uncertainty and privacy concerns were mentioned.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Privacy concerns?

Could you be more specific on which concerns where raised on the matter of privacy regarding an e-book reader?

Thanks
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #26
laruecc
laruecc began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
new kobo

I have just purchased a kobo and would like to load ebooks from the public library on it. I have downloaded them onto my computer using adobe digital editions - now what do I do?
laruecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Privacy concerns?

Could you be more specific on which concerns where raised on the matter of privacy regarding an e-book reader?

Thanks
Concerns were raised about e-book sellers and DRM companies (Adobe) building databases of reading habits and interests for marketing purposes. One person also mentioned that the USA Patriot Act grants the US government the right to demand that booksellers turn over their databases. I suppose it would be worrisome if some government decided they wanted to identify purchasers of a certain type of religious or political book, etc.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #28
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Oh yeah, that indeed poses a threat. But that is also true if you buy books in a regular book store using their discount card.
True, there you can choose not to opt in that feature, but many many people do it.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #29
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycles View Post
Concerns were raised about e-book sellers and DRM companies (Adobe) building databases of reading habits and interests for marketing purposes. One person also mentioned that the USA Patriot Act grants the US government the right to demand that booksellers turn over their databases. I suppose it would be worrisome if some government decided they wanted to identify purchasers of a certain type of religious or political book, etc.
I was explaining the Kindle store to my non-techie parents and when my stepdad asked about sharing books with my mom, I told him they could share Kindle purchases to devices on the same account. He was concerned about what this meant and asked me if 'having an account' meant that Amazon could 'spy on' his books. This comment was from a total ebook newbie...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I was explaining the Kindle store to my non-techie parents and when my stepdad asked about sharing books with my mom, I told him they could share Kindle purchases to devices on the same account. He was concerned about what this meant and asked me if 'having an account' meant that Amazon could 'spy on' his books. This comment was from a total ebook newbie...
There is a record of everything you buy using a credit card, discount card, or anything else with your name on it. There is a record if you supply a shipping address. If you are really worried about that you will need to be a hermit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote