Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 03:50 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thumbs up Free (DRM-free) Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber [SF Future Conflict Space Opera]

Off Armageddon Reef by bestselling MilSF author David Weber (ISFDB, Wikipedia, SFE) is the 1st novel in his Safehold series of far future science fiction military space opera where humanity has fled hostile aliens to form a hidden stronghold in faux-medievaloid stasis, this installment kicking off changes in the status quo when an android from the past awakens to fulfill its ancient programming, destined to rebuild the strength of humanity by making its hidden technology accessible to all, thereby coming into conflict with the theocratic rulers, free courtesy of publisher Tor Books.

This is their featured eBook Club of the Month offer for January.

Currently free through January 10th directly @ the eBook Club's special promo page (DRM-free ePub & Mobi in exchange for newsletter signup with your valid email address; officially only available to Canada & the US due to geographic publishing rights restrictions)

You can also follow along with the actual bookclub discussion via the dedicated tag on the Tor.com blog.

Description
Humanity pushed its way to the stars - and encountered the Gbaba, a ruthless alien race that nearly wiped us out.

Earth and her colonies are now smoldering ruins, and the few survivors have fled to distant, Earth-like Safehold, to try to rebuild. But the Gbaba can detect the emissions of an industrial civilization, so the human rulers of Safehold have taken extraordinary measures: with mind control and hidden high technology, they've built a religion in which every Safeholdian believes, a religion designed to keep Safehold society medieval forever.

800 years pass. In a hidden chamber on Safehold, an android from the far human past awakens. This "rebirth" was set in motion centuries before, by a faction that opposed shackling humanity with a concocted religion. Via automated recordings, "Nimue" - or, rather, the android with the memories of Lieutenant Commander Nimue Alban - is told her fate: she will emerge into Safeholdian society, suitably disguised, and begin the process of provoking the technological progress which the Church of God Awaiting has worked for centuries to prevent.

Nothing about this will be easy. To better deal with a medieval society, "Nimue" takes a new gender and a new name, "Merlin." His formidable powers and access to caches of hidden high technology will need to be carefully concealed. And he'll need to find a base of operations, a Safeholdian country that's just a little more freewheeling, a little less orthodox, a little more open to the new.

And thus Merlin comes to Charis, a mid-sized kingdom with a talent for naval warfare. He plans to make the acquaintance of King Haarahld and Crown Prince Cayleb, and maybe, just maybe, kick off a new era of invention. Which is bound to draw the attention of the Church...and, inevitably, lead to war.

It's going to be a long, long process. And David Weber's epic Off Armageddon Reef is can't-miss Sci-Fi.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Do the Gbaba's talk too much?

Why do alien creatures have such strange names?

This morning as got out of bed, I pushed against space and encountered....nothing.

Well, I guess I'll have to get the darn thing, make this post and push against space as I make my way toward the kitchen for my first cup of coffee.

In the meantime, don't take any wooden nickels from Nanu-Nanu. I mean Nimue.

WILL SOON GET IT, AFTER MY FIRST CUP OF COFFEE!

THANKS.

Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Thanks

This time it accepted that I was already registered. Last month, it didn't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I just saw Off Armageddon Reef listed here if one signs up with Tor.com, so I signed up and downloaded a copy of the ebook as an epub. Problem...can someone please tell me where I find the downloaded ebook on my pc?
First time I have done this and I have looked in my downloads...cannot find that darn book

Please ignore this plee for help. Guess my eyes weren't focussing earlier. I found the ebook in my downloads folder on pc. This looks like an interesting book..looking forward to reading it soon!! Thanks for the post.

Last edited by Kaysclie; 01-04-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: my error
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free ebook