Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
11 year old daughter

I got a Nook Classic for Christmas and I love it!

Except ... my daughter is always snagging it and dear hubby reads a half hour or so each night (luckily he goes to bed before I do!)

Daughter is a very responsible 11 years old. Her birthday coming up.

I'd like to get her an eReader. I'm leaning towards the Kobo because of the price.

With my Nook, I get books (usually free) from Sony, B&N, Borders, Smashwords and probably a few others. I also check out books from my library (LOVE that feature!)

So, I'd like some advice on what to get her. Really like the $99 tag on the Kobo!

1. Can it read all the books I already have (I have some for her on my Nook .. I use Adobe Digital Editions on everything that's not B&N)

2. Can it read library books? (my library uses Overdrive, as do most, I assume)

3. Can I put B&N books on a Kobo? (using Adobe Digital Editions?????)

Other ideas? I do not want to go the Kindle route for her, since I think the library book checkout is a must have.

Thanks for your advice!
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Free does not always mean DRM-free, and B&N DRM for ePub isn't compatible with Adobe DRM (which is what Kobo uses). So that is the downside of going with anything except a Nook - a lack of B&N bookstore compatibility.

If you get two Nooks, you can share B&N and Adobe DRM ebooks. If you get a Kobo, you can still share Adobe DRM ebooks.

It is possible to strip the B&N DRM from the ePubs and then they work on any ePub-capable device. Without DRM-stripping all DRM-ridden ebooks are to some extent locked to a subset of the available devices.

EDIT: Another possibility is a jetBook Lite. It now supports both B&N and Adobe DRM for ePubs. I don't know if it can handle lending library ebooks.

Last edited by wallcraft; 03-04-2011 at 01:27 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Hi Catsnkites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
So, I'd like some advice on what to get her. Really like the $99 tag on the Kobo!

1. Can it read all the books I already have (I have some for her on my Nook .. I use Adobe Digital Editions on everything that's not B&N)
If the books use Adobe DRM (not B&N's proprietary format), then yes, the Kobo will be able to read the books you already have.

Quote:
Yes, the Kobo can read library books.

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. B&N uses their own proprietary DRM for their books. So you would only be able to read an eBook from B&N on a Nook or a Nook app for a mobile device.

Quote:
Other ideas? I do not want to go the Kindle route for her, since I think the library book checkout is a must have.

Thanks for your advice!
Since you already have Nook books for your daughter, another Nook might be the best way to go. Nook has the lending feature so you could share books between Nook. I'm not sure if B&N allows multiple Nooks to sync from the same account. Does anyone know?
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
You can get a refurbished Nook for $99 on eBay, seller Barnes and Noble, so all es it should with warranty and such.
Since you have a Nook and a B&N account I think that would be a good buy.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
If going forward you only get books for sharing that are Adobe DRM (such as from Kobo & Sony), you might consider finding a going-out-of-business Borders as they have slashed the price of Kobos to $79.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can put BN books on a Kobo if you are willing to strip DRM.

Personally, I think it would be better to get a Nook for her and share an account but I like account sharing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
One thing I've noticed about my kids reading is they do most of their reading at night. I bought my daugter the eBookWise 1150 because of the backlit screen. She would often read at night in bed then tuck her ereader under her pillow when it was time to go to bed. When my son broke her reader I replaced it with a Kindle, since I had one I thought it would make things easy for me. I've noticed she does not use the kindle as much because of the lighting issue. She rarely reads on it.

On the same note I later bought my son an iPad Touch and he uses it for everything from games, reading trivia facts to reading books.

In retrospect I should have stuck to my gut instinct and stayed with a backlit device for my daughter.

That said I would recommend a backlit device over the Kobo for your children.

There are several inexpensive backlit readers like the eBookWise1150, Velocity Cruz, Pandigital Novel and last the iPad Touch (not a reader but cable of reading many formats).

The first three options all go for about $100. Borders is selling the Cruz for $119 http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_ereaders

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Dava
Enthusiast
Dava began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy I5700 Spica, Kindle 3
I don't agree with =X= about the backlight, even though I like it myself on the Palmpilot m500.

If she already are snatching your NOOK I can't see the lack of backlight as a problem.

Can you really get the "new" Kobo for $99? I found it to be very fitting for an 11-year old girl, lightweight and pink
If you want to share the NOOK books without stripping it from its B&N DRM NOOK may be the only choice.

But if she mostly will borrow books on the library I'd recommend the KOBO!
Dava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dava View Post
Can you really get the "new" Kobo for $99? I found it to be very fitting for an 11-year old girl, lightweight and pink
In her(imagined) words ---- OMG ... no WAY in pink!

I didn't relaize I could get a refurb Nook for $99. I think that's probably what we'll do.

Thanks for all your input, everyone!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In her(imagined) words ---- OMG ... no WAY in pink!

I didn't relaize I could get a refurb Nook for $99. I think that's probably what we'll do.

Thanks for all your input, everyone!
I think the refurbished Nooks are $119.00 not $99.00. That's how much they are selling for on both B&N's website and B&N's page on eBay. $119.00 is still a pretty good price although not as cheap as the $99.00 Kobo.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
There are some going for 99 at eBay.
Strangely enough they've got some for 119 and some for 99, all fron B&N.
Link to the 99 auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NOOK-Barnes-and-...item1c19517bc1
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
faithbw
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
There are some going for 99 at eBay.
Strangely enough they've got some for 119 and some for 99, all fron B&N.
Link to the 99 auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NOOK-Barnes-and-...item1c19517bc1
Thanks! I wonder why they have two different prices listed on eBay.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I got a Nook Classic for Christmas and I love it!

Except ... my daughter is always snagging it and dear hubby reads a half hour or so each night (luckily he goes to bed before I do!)

Daughter is a very responsible 11 years old. Her birthday coming up.

I'd like to get her an eReader. I'm leaning towards the Kobo because of the price.

With my Nook, I get books (usually free) from Sony, B&N, Borders, Smashwords and probably a few others. I also check out books from my library (LOVE that feature!)

Thanks for your advice!
Jetbook Lite would meet all your requirements. It supports both ADE and BN's DRM, so you can borrow from the library, buy ebooks from pretty much any bookstore EXCEPT Amazon (BN, Kobo, Sony, Borders, etc.). And the price is right: only $80 at Newegg, with free shipping.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

Well, daughter got the JetBook lite and love, love, loves it ..... except ... for the shakiness in the sunlight and under fluorescent lights. When she first asked me about the shakiness, I could have returned it to JR Computers for a refund ... but she said she did not want to return it, she loved it soooo much ... she likes that it's small and that it runs on AA batteries rather then needing to be recharged. She said she could live with the shakiness now that she knew what it was and what was causing it.

I should have insisted, but I didn't .... Yesterday, she said, "Mom, I can't read it outside, even in the shade, I can't read it in the waiting room at the drs office, I can't read it in the kitchen (all CFLs)" I do know that the CFLs don't bother it nearly as much as regular fluorescent blubs.

Anyway, I chose the JetBook because it could read everything my Nook can and that was the most important thing to me. I also like that books can not be purchased directly from it.

So, now that I can't find the refurb Nooks anymore (and at such a great deal ..$79!), I'm not interested in the Nook simple touch since most of the books she reads are not from B&N and I don't like the space restrictions, it looks like my only choice is to get a full priced Nook classic for $120 .... any other ideas?

Thanks much!

Susie
Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Why not get yourself a Nook touch and gift her the Nook Classic
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote