Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2020, 02:57 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
"Hidden" feature I was not aware of

Coincidentally I found a "new" feature, which I seemed to have overlooked for a long time. It is nowhere described, so I might have an excuse.

On my Home-screen, I was always surprised to find some random set of collections (screen middle, right side).
I discovered that you can actually choose yourself which collection is displayed.
Go to TAB My Books, TAB Collections, and choose some collection to your liking, return to your Home-screen via TAB Home and presto, the chosen collection is now visible. It does not seem to work for Series though, which is a pity.

Just my 2cts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.png
Views:	206
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	182076  
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That might be new, but, the behaviour is not as simple as that.

Firstly, that tile on the home screen can display an author or a collection. It cannot display a series.

The collection or author displayed is usually associated with the book you are reading, or the last one you finished. If you finish a book, the author will probably be displayed there. Or possibly a collection that contains the book. There are other rules. Such as it doesn't display empty collections/author, or a collection/author where all books in it are finished. Once a collection is you can probably keep the collection there by opening it, but, if you finish a book, there is a fair chance it will be replaced.

The above is from observation. I don't have any knowledge about the rules other than that. Though I did ask Kobo if series would be displayed. Not at that time was the answer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:13 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed. It's rule-set is indeed complicated.

I discovered another "rule": when removing all books from the top-line, save for the one I'm currently reading, then "magically" a collection to the right appears based on the author of the book I'm reading. It even indicates the amount of unread books for that author.

It is a nice-to-have feature, but totally uncontrollable and disappears when you open a second book.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, that tile on the home screen can display an author or a collection. It cannot display a series. ... Though I did ask Kobo if series would be displayed. Not at that time was the answer.
The only collections I have on my Libra ARE series, so effectively, that tile does show a series if I select a collection
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The only collections I have on my Libra ARE series, so effectively, that tile does show a series if I select a collection
A lot of us have dropped series based collections since we don't need them any longer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
My Clara always displays other selections from the current author in the lower right.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the lower right, I have a collection based on a book I am currently reading and maybe one I recently read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never created a single collection, all the collections on my Libra, and before that on my H2O2 were, I presume, created by the device. Definitely not by me.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I've never created a single collection, all the collections on my Libra, and before that on my H2O2 were, I presume, created by the device. Definitely not by me.
The device does not create any collections. If one is created on a device, the collection will be synced to any other devices or the Kobo apps. But, the only books in them will be the purchased books.

If you are using calibre, then it can do this for you. But, you need to configure the driver.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
The device does not create any collections. If one is created on a device, the collection will be synced to any other devices or the Kobo apps. But, the only books in them will be the purchased books.

If you are using calibre, then it can do this for you. But, you need to configure the driver.
Intriguing. If I want to create a collection, how do I go about telling Calibre which books to include?
Old 09-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Agreed. It's rule-set is indeed complicated.

I discovered another "rule": when removing all books from the top-line, save for the one I'm currently reading, then "magically" a collection to the right appears based on the author of the book I'm reading. It even indicates the amount of unread books for that author.

It is a nice-to-have feature, but totally uncontrollable and disappears when you open a second book.
Yes, most people only see that on a brand new device. As soon as they open a few books, it is replaced by the books. But, I thought it would be still there if only two books were opened. Not that I'm ever going to be able to check that status
Old 09-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #12
lel24
lel24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Another interesting feature with collections is they can contain HTML. They can also use basic CSS through the style attribute or tag. Once, I even managed to add an image to the collection title!

Note that it only displays on the homescreen and while you are in the collection, not in the list on the My Collections page.
lel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Always been there. Had my Clara since Day one of the Release.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
...Not that I'm ever going to be able to check that status
I know that feeling: normally I read about 10 books at the same time. But today I ran out of stock so by magic I had a pristine home-screen, hence the amazing discoveries. There must be some lessons learned here
Old 09-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Lesson is Pay Attention to Details!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote