Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
For all the potential epub may have, its implementation currently blows. Blame the viewer software all you want, but until there's a good viewer that actually exists, that potential means absolutely nothing to me as a consumer.
Can you tell me what reflowable eBook format is actually better then ePub?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There isn't one, although depending on the device, some reflowable formats may look better than epubs. (LRF comes to mind. And my Clie doesn't read ePub, so eReader is a better format for it.)

However, non-reflowable formats *designed for user requirements* are currently better than ePub in some cases. A PDF that's designed for the screen size it's being read on, and set to the preferences of the reader (with/without margins, extra lines between paragraphs, indents, justification, etc.) is easier to read than ePub.

And while ePub is great for reading novels for entertainment, it's got some serious problems for academic use--lack of good page indicators makes it hard to use for reference work.

The fact that nothing reflowable is currently better than ePub doesn't mean ePub is perfect.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I think long term that price will go down, and quality up.... as the market slowly moves to a digital base.....

iPub is as good as any for general reading IMHO.... I convert most everything to it... academic and technical... are another matter.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As Elfwreck said, there's not really a better option for reflowable ebooks. I only read custom-made PDFs, as I can't stand LRF or ePub. It'd be great if I didn't have to go to such lengths to have decent quality ebooks. In the future, ePub may be good enough for me to quit typesetting PDFs. It's definitely not there yet though. Just being the "best" reflowable format doesn't make it good.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Price will go up.

Quality will remain the same. :/
The reason: There are just too many screen size/resolution combinations out there.
With paper, the typesetter controled the environment. With e-readers, there is no control PC with 28" Widescreen to a *-phone screen.
Auto Hyphenation, Auto-Page breaks. IMHO just don't make it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #21
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
It seems that there are many who are VERY dissatisfied with the lack of perfection in ebooks. If I were so obsessed I would sell my ereader and find a less stressful recreation.

================================================== ========================

Please note the picture on the feft? Perfection is a loooong way off. I can wait.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-09-2010 at 04:28 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I think quality has a long way to go yet. We might get some minor price decreases, but mostly new releases will be feature adding.

In about 2-3 years the technologies will be sufficiently advanced that most new releases will be adding minor features, but getting cheaper. Eventually It will be similar to the iPhone which now just adds somewhat minor features (like 3G) and lowers the price.

But until all of these readers have color touchscreens, internet access, easy to read display technology like mirasol but better, and better form factors and high battery life, they have a lot of technological improvements to achieve.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote