Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
PVI revenues drop - weakening e-paper orders!

We're a bit heavy-hearted to report the news, but it appears that recent e-paper sales aren't as rosy as some analysts and industry insiders like us to believe (while others are a bit more conservative). Details are sketchy at this point, but Digitimes reports that last month, PVI has suffered from a drop in revenues by more than thirty percent, which is at least partly caused by "weakened e-paper orders from the US." Meanwhile a display competitor confirmed that "the weak economy is expected to continue, dampening demand in the US market."

So what does this exactly mean? Granted, e-book readers are not exactly low-budget, but is it possible that the current economic downtrend has already a negative impact on e-book reader sales? Is it a coincidence that just two weeks ago, Amazon dropped the price of its Kindle reader?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
RE:Weak sales

No doubt! The weakening US economy is *KILLING* so much of the retail market. If PVI would just cut volume prices to something approaching 'reasonable', that would allow device manufacturers to lower wholesale prices and, maybe, entice people away from dead-tree. But the basic models that are currently available just aren't appealing at the current price-point.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Holy Carp! I am buying all the eInk screens I am able to!

We must lobby congress to pass tax breaks for the eInk industry!

Personally, I blame the usual suspects. France, I am watching you! (sorry Zelda)

Donn

P.S. I hope I am not overreacting.

P.S.S. If rumors were wishes, horses would ride for free.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
You know, The weakening US market might get Sony and Amazon to get off their backsides and launch the Readers outside the US.

After all while the economic slowdown is affecting the whole world, it is mainly concentrated in the US.

As such most companies are looking to diversify their holding outside the states to limit their losses.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If PVI would just cut volume prices to something approaching 'reasonable', that would allow device manufacturers to lower wholesale prices and, maybe, entice people away from dead-tree. But the basic models that are currently available just aren't appealing at the current price-point.

Derek
The display is by far the most expense component in any e-reader, however as long as there is only one supplier of electrophoretic ink, we will not see any substantial price drops.
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
The display is by far the most expense component in any e-reader, however as long as there is only one supplier of electrophoretic ink, we will not see any substantial price drops.
Which brings up PlasticLogic again, whose factory in Dresden is presumably ready to produce. I guess we will see first consumer products in Q1 2009.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:45 AM   #7
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Plastic Logic won't be taking off as soon as that, i think:

Careers galore: http://www.plasticlogic.com/careers.php

Last edited by beachwanderer; 06-11-2008 at 04:50 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If PVI would just cut volume prices to something approaching 'reasonable', that would allow device manufacturers to lower wholesale prices and, maybe, entice people away from dead-tree.
With the reported yield numbers I don't think they can do much to lower their price unless they improve the production process. Maybe if E-Ink licensed their tech to more manufacturers...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Yeah, the gas prices are hitting hard. When I bought my Iliad (standing in line early 2 years ago) I could fill my tank for around $15. Last month I had a fill up that was a tad over $60. And I do that 3-4 times a month (even though the car is a fuel efficient diesel engine getting nearly 50MPG I have a relatively long drive to work). Doesn't take long for most people cut back on non-essentials with prices that high. Particularly when you consider that 50% of what has been sold in the last several years would probably need to go downhill with a tail wind to get half the mileage I do.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
PVI should do what Nintendo has done with the new Wii Fit. Sell most of the units to Europe where the currency is much stronger than the United States. From a personal perspective, I'm selling a lot more to Europe than here. Even with the substantial shipping costs it's still cheaper to buy here and ship there.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
For me its logical in the sense of product life time events.

The Kindle, as far as I know biggest seller, was opened to the market, then a lot of people bought it. Now everyone who regulary vists amazaon, and would have bought a Kindle, has already one. Now it takes much more time to have the mouth-to-mouth "propaganda" work, and convincle people to buy one, by seing a friend to have one etc. This is still a growth, but not as fast as the intro to the market.

As iLiad-lover I'm sorry to not have mentioned iLiad into this calculation, but AFAIK iLiad sales hardly pay a big role in total eInk sales. Not? From my "mouth-to-mouth-propaganda" aspect, there are people who like me always wanted a product like this, and are quickly converted to buyers. However for the "normal" people I hand over the device, two things quickly turn them off. a) Its slow. (And this is not only the screen refresh rate people complain about, sometimes you press a button, 5 seconds nothing happens, then the screen refreshes for a second). b) when playing around, they notice the writing gap, along with the text appearing delayed. c) then they ask how much does it cost? Then they summerize "Ah well not for me then"...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
For me its logical in the sense of product life time events.
As iLiad-lover I'm sorry to not have mentioned iLiad into this calculation, but AFAIK iLiad sales hardly pay a big role in total eInk sales.
That is because the data is based on 6-inch displays, that's why iRex is not mentioned, but we take 100% share on the 8.1-inch display production
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
For a second there I thought I dropped in on a spam posting about gaining 2".
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
If Amazon have a glut of Kindles on their hands they could always ship them to Europe - with or without wireless chips!

But seriously, I'm not sure that the figures quoted say much about the potential ebook market. The original story lays the blame for the fall in production mainly at the door of a fall in demand for hand-held devices (not ebook readers) in China. At this moment the Shanghai stock exchange stands at half its peak in 2007, so it wouldn't be surprising if discretionary purchases like e-ink devices were taking a hammering.

Consumer confidence in both the US and much of Europe is also low, so it's difficult to read the significance of sales levels. Almost no-one 'needs' an ebook reader and there very few examples out there in people's hands so far to create desire among friends and family. In those circumstances if it is true that, on Amazon, Kindle books are taking an average of 6% of sales where they are published in parallel with paper editions (as Bezos claims), I think that is a truly astonishing level of market penetration in such a short time.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
Gadzooks Mike
Gadzooks Mike began at the beginning.

It's not the price of the readers that are holding back sales, it's the price of the books. No paper, no printing, no shipping, no storeage = savings of $1 if you're lucky. And I can't even give them to my friend after I've read them.
Gadzooks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-paper, pvi