Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #211
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Argh, double-post.

Last edited by ixtab; 04-27-2012 at 08:45 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #212
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even more shamelessly plugging in here... ;-)

yifanlu's kindletool is (unfortunately) horribly broken in too many ways.

I know this sounds like an offence, but it's definitely not meant to be one. Yifan confirmed that this was one of his very first projects in C, and that the purpose was primarily to learn about native memory management from it. The resulting C code works well on a few configurations, but fails in various ways on others. There are a multitude of justifications or explanations for this, but the simplest one is that "C isn't really portable". Yifan's code is not "bad" or "wrong" - it just makes some assumptions that can change with the environment.

This is why I created the KindleToolTask task (for the KT localization) in the first place. It was always meant as a workaround, and it still involves the original kindletool.

The whole logic of a real "KindleTool" has beed developed and pointed out by yifanlu. The only thing that is really needed left is to actually make it work in all circumstances. I delivered a partial solution above. My (personal) recommendation is for someone with C and Java experience to look into the existing work, and to extend the Java implementation in order to reflect the original logic. Yifan Lu's original code is actually very understandable, and a good starting point.

(I don't have the time to do this by myself, but I seriously hope someone else will pick up on this)
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #213
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, in the same vein, I also badly suck at C, and it was an occasion to play with it and libarchive in a somewhat productive way .

FWIW, I just re-added support for your java front-end .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #214
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yup, in the same vein, I also badly suck at C, and it was an occasion to play with it and libarchive in a somewhat productive way .

FWIW, I just re-added support for your java 'front-end' .
Okay, watch the demo and figure out how this simple little C program actually does all those things (you might learn a few C tricks): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176802

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #215
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: I'm not on very good terms with maths either, unfortunately .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #216
junaid
junaid began at the beginning.

Device: KT
KT brick

Hi all,

i tried to follows Method 1(http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/). I copied the data.tar.gz to the Kindle’s root and thn reboot it. But unfortunately it stuck on the main screen (boy sitting under a tree).

Any suggestion, what went wrong ? how to recover it
i am not an expert so i will really appreciate if any one can tell me each step

Last edited by junaid; 05-03-2012 at 03:27 PM.
junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #217
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid View Post
Hi all,

i tried to follows Method 1(http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/). I copied the data.tar.gz to the Kindle’s root and thn reboot it. But unfortunately it stuck on the main screen (boy sitting under a tree).

Any suggestion, what went wrong ? how to recover it
If anyone could help it would be appreciated
*learn to use mfgtool ( use "Kindle main" profile)
* install usbnetwork hack
* execute this command on ssh:
Code:
idme -d --bootmode main
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #218
junaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
*learn to use mfgtool ( use "Kindle main" profile)
* install usbnetwork hack
* execute this command on ssh:
Code:
idme -d --bootmode main
Thanks for ur reply
i m little new, can u please refer me some link or some more detail steps
Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #219
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for ur reply
i m little new, can u please refer me some link or some more detail steps
The word "mfgtool" is underlined (even in the quote in your reply), which indicates that it IS a link. Just click it...
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #220
junaid

what are the steps to install usbnetwork hack
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #221
geekmaster

Quote:
The nature of your questions indicates that you need to read this before you ask more questions:

http://mattgemmell.com/2008/12/08/what-have-you-tried/
Old 05-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #222
ixtab
(offline)

@junaid: RTFM.

And I admit that I absolutely hate it when people don't even bother to end their questions with a question mark. I guess I'll simply ignore such posts in the future.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #223
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I guess I'll simply ignore such posts in the future.
I have been sent PMs from other devs on multiple occasions suggesting that I ignore "lazy" requests too. I am most assuredly "almost" convinced (near the tipping point). Helping people is taking a lot of time away from development, so I think I will waste a lot less of my time on people too lazy to bother reading the debricking threads (the important one is now a sticky, to which I added some K3 links).

And yes, seeing requests with no capitalization or punctuation is like finding a neighbor knocking at your door asking for a cup of sugar, while they are wearing only dirty underwear.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #224
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Here you go: how to use usbnetwork

Please search and read before asking a question and be more specific

There are plenty of such questions on this forum that's the reason of the "angry answers" to your's.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #225
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
There are plenty of such questions on this forum that's the reason of the "angry answers" to your's.
Not so much "angry" -- just tired of answering the same old worn-out questions over and over and over and over and ...