Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #76
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I'm assuming this lovely feature still works fine with firmware 2.5.1?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #77
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm assuming this lovely feature still works fine with firmware 2.5.1?
To answer myself: yep, works. (As far as I can tell.)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #78
spMatti
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgvirtual View Post
Well, you cannot syncronize only one directory inside Google Drive, - that is a Grive (or maybe - Google Drive as such) limitation, but you certainly can mount only one directory among those you have syncronized using Grive That was the essence of my request.
This script is responsible for mounting the sd:
https://github.com/softapalvelin/kob.../virtual_sd.sh

So, if you change this line
Code:
mount --bind $grive_sync_settings/sd /mnt/sd
to
Code:
mount --bind $grive_sync_settings/sd/subdir /mnt/sd
then only "subdir" from google drive is visible in the virtual sd card.
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #79
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I have not yet tried on my Aura (not sure I am going to keep it anyway), but, although I know that the lack of SD Card Slot on the mini is the problem, is there anyway that could work with the mini ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #80
spMatti
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have not yet tried on my Aura (not sure I am going to keep it anyway), but, although I know that the lack of SD Card Slot on the mini is the problem, is there anyway that could work with the mini ?
Fake SD card is used to tell Kobo firmware that there's new content in the file system and library must be updated. So, you must find another way to update library.

There's also another hack that forces Kobo firmware to scan for new content. You can send "usb plugged" event to the firmware and then "usb unplugged". Problem is that sending "usb plugged" event will disconnect the wlan.. I think it's not a good thing if it happens in the middle of synchronization.

usb plugged:
Code:
echo usb plug add >> /tmp/nickel-hardware-status
usb unplugged:
Code:
echo usb plug remove >> /tmp/nickel-hardware-status
To change the way library is updated edit /usr/local/grive-sync/refresh_library.sh file. (https://github.com/softapalvelin/kob...esh_library.sh).

I don't know any other hacks that can update the library. I wish there would be cleaner way to update library. Once I compiled sqllite to ARM processor and installed it to my Kobo touch, but I had no success inserting content to the library using that.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #81
Royalblue
Royalblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo blue
Sync Works like a charm. Thanks.

My Question: Is there a way to mount the virtual sd as drive when plugged in to pc. (Instead of the real sd card.)
Royalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #82
spMatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalblue View Post
Sync Works like a charm. Thanks.

My Question: Is there a way to mount the virtual sd as drive when plugged in to pc. (Instead of the real sd card.)
Synchronized files can be found from the drive that is normally mounted when you connect the eReader to computer. The files are in .grive-sync/sd folder.

If you really want to mount virtual SD as a drive, I think it's not possible, but I'm not 100% sure. When user clicks "connect to computer" in eReader the firmware executes "/usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb" script. It uses this code to create the drives:

Code:
if [ -e /dev/mmcblk1p1 ]; then
	LUNS=/dev/mmcblk0p3,/dev/mmcblk1p1
else
	LUNS=/dev/mmcblk0p3
fi
/sbin/insmod /drivers/$PLATFORM/usb/gadget/g_file_storage.ko file=$LUNS stall=1 removable=1 $PARAMS
You notice that LUNS variable holds only devices, but virtual SD is not a device. It's just a bind mount from .grive-sync/sd to /mnt/sd. It looks like g_file_storage.ko file-parameter can be either a disk partition or a file image (http://linlog.blogspot.fi/2011/02/us...age-gadget.html).
Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #83
Royalblue
Royalblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo blue
Thanks for the answer spMatti.

That the files are on /mnt/onboard/.grive-sync/sd I knew. Just thought it would be more comfortable if they were accessible from a mounted drive.

That Firmware executes this usb-script I noticed to. Thought: maybe one could place the mount-command here.

----

Did I get that right, that: If a sd-card is inserted the sync still works, but the content isn't shown because the Kobo will show the contents of the real instead of the virtual sd-card.

If so, is there any reason one shouldn't use the real sd-card and if there is None, how do I do that. (Coz than the sd-card would definitively be mounted on usb-connect)

---

And another one: I read in this Forum that g-drive isn't compatible with calibre. (adding and changing file names while uploading) Does that mean if the filename of my uploaded files contain specific patterns g-drive will rename them? (And since that is still called a Feature not a bug by Google, it won't change.) => This lead me to the question if dropbox or any other cloud/server-sync tool wouldn't be better (/possible)?
Royalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #84
spMatti

Sorry that it took so long to answer.

Quote:
That Firmware executes this usb-script I noticed to. Thought: maybe one could place the mount-command here.
Yes, you could add command there. Actually kobo-grive-sync scripts add code to end of that file so in the end execution will jump to /usr/local/grive-sync/udev_usb_program.sh.

Quote:
Did I get that right, that: If a sd-card is inserted the sync still works, but the content isn't shown because the Kobo will show the contents of the real instead of the virtual sd-card.

If so, is there any reason one shouldn't use the real sd-card and if there is None, how do I do that. (Coz than the sd-card would definitively be mounted on usb-connect)
Yes, if real SD card is inserted then files are synchronized to /mnt/onboard/.grive-sync/sd, but only real SD card content is visible in library.

If you could make files to synchronize to the real SD card then you would get what you wanted. /usr/local/grive-sync/config.sh contains variable "grive_sync_libfolder" that defines where files are synchronized. If the value is /mnt/sd then files are synchronized to real SD. The value was /mnt/sd earlier, but I changed it, because if scripts is executed when /mnt/sd is not mounted then some files get written to firmware partition of the internal SD. Here is the change I made.

Quote:
And another one: I read in this Forum that g-drive isn't compatible with calibre. (adding and changing file names while uploading) Does that mean if the filename of my uploaded files contain specific patterns g-drive will rename them? (And since that is still called a Feature not a bug by Google, it won't change.) => This lead me to the question if dropbox or any other cloud/server-sync tool wouldn't be better (/possible)?
Sorry, I don't know if google drive renames files. I know that dropbox is hard to get working in ARM processor. You can search open source synchronization software for linux and then compile it to kobo firmware. That's what I did to grive.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #85
shezzuk1
shezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animalsshezzuk1 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus S
This is fantastic, I joined the forums because of this. Works great on Kobo Glo 2.5.2 ... Can't thank you enough
shezzuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #86
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
polite enquiry: any chance to make this work on devices with no SD card - well, on the Mini really?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #87
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
polite enquiry: any chance to make this work on devices with no SD card - well, on the Mini really?
Just installed it on my Mini yesterday with out any issues, works great!

Only thing i noticed was that if you have the ebooks a few folders deep on the gdrive/mini the covers didnt show in sleep mode. show up fine in the library.

I just followed this guide https://github.com/softapalvelin/kob...c/wiki/install
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
Only thing i noticed was that if you have the ebooks a few folders deep on the gdrive/mini the covers didnt show in sleep mode. show up fine in the library.
My first thought was a path length issue. The cover images files names are generated using the full path of the book plus a suffix and extension for each size. It isn't hard to get close to the 260 character FAT32 limit. But, the name used for the sleep screen cover is actually the shortest.

But, this is faking a SD card? If so, the current firmware has a bug that for books on the SD card. if the cover image file used for the sleep doesn't exist, it just uses a text cover with the title and book type on it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #89
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My first thought was a path length issue. The cover images files names are generated using the full path of the book plus a suffix and extension for each size. It isn't hard to get close to the 260 character FAT32 limit. But, the name used for the sleep screen cover is actually the shortest.

But, this is faking a SD card? If so, the current firmware has a bug that for books on the SD card. if the cover image file used for the sleep doesn't exist, it just uses a text cover with the title and book type on it.
This is exactly what appears. What images is used for the sleep covers? could i just ad a .png or something with the same name as the file and it will show? not to well versed in how these things work.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #90
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
This is exactly what appears. What images is used for the sleep covers? could i just ad a .png or something with the same name as the file and it will show? not to well versed in how these things work.
The cover files are JPEGs but with "parsed" as the extension. The file needs to be in "koboExtStorage/images" on what the device sees as the SD card. The file name looks like:

Code:
file____mnt_sd_Bagley,_Desmond_Spoilers_-_Desmond_Bagley_epub - N3_FULL
That is for an epub on the SD card with the path:

Code:
/Bagley, Desmond/Spoilers - Desmond Bagley.epub
The image size should be 600*800. But, if you don't want to stretch the cover, you can maintain the covers aspect ratio and size to either the width or height.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote