Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #601
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've figured out which number in a given font control how ADE handles the default line spacing of a given font.

It is either Typo Line Gap and/or Line Gap. Just set them the same and you'll be fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #602
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've figured out which number in a given font control how ADE handles the default line spacing of a given font.

It is either Typo Line Gap and/or Line Gap. Just set them the same and you'll be fine.
It doesn't work for Kindles though. I've tried every thing the Kindle sets it's own line spacing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #603
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It doesn't work for Kindles though. I've tried every thing the Kindle sets it's own line spacing.
KF8's line spacing can be adjusted by editing the metrics in the font.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #604
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
we still talking about fonts?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #605
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
we still talking about fonts?
Yep! Although I am no longer on the lookout for new ones I have settled on my 4 Favs: Amasis XL, Palatino Tall, Charis Fixed XL and Gentium Book XL.

I also now have my other Kindles using Amasis Large. So they now match the PW perfectly in size and line spacing.

I can now read for hours in light or in the dark.
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #606
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I have managed to extract the fonts from the fonts.cramfs.img from my PW and was wondering what suggestions anyone who has modded their own PW base fonts have for changes to play with as a starting point.

I am most interested in Caecilia since that is my favourite. I was thinking of trying to increase the weight and decrease the line space a bit. As a reference, I use the font at size 2 normally.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #607
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I have managed to extract the fonts from the fonts.cramfs.img from my PW and was wondering what suggestions anyone who has modded their own PW base fonts have for changes to play with as a starting point.

I am most interested in Caecilia since that is my favourite. I was thinking of trying to increase the weight and decrease the line space a bit. As a reference, I use the font at size 2 normally.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
You will find the line spacing really tight compared to the defaults. Try it before changing the line spacing. It is not the same as the ones on the PW which uses a custom style sheet.

You will find both Caecilia's versions you extracted to be identical to each other. Even though it says condensed it's not.

What I did was add weight to mine I started with the default 25/20 weight on Font Creator.

I then made a scaled down condensed version to try to match the default but finally gave up. It's near impossible. 5% was too small. I think I settled on 8% but I can't confirm that.

Most of my fonts are 35/30 weight on Regular and Italic. 15/10 on Bold and Bold Italic (or none at all depending on how bold they were in the first place)

Last edited by Blossom; 02-18-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #608
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You will find the line spacing really tight compared to the defaults. Try it before changing the line spacing. It is not the same as the ones on the PW which uses a custom style sheet.
Sorry Blossom, did you mean that the if I changed the name of the base Caecilia and reloaded it without changing any characteristics of the font, that the new Caecilia would display differently from the base Caecilia? If so, that's really annoying of the way the KPW handles fonts!

Quote:
What I did was add weight to mine I started with the default 25/20 weight on Font Creator.

Most of my fonts are 35/30 weight on Regular and Italic. 15/10 on Bold and Bold Italic (or none at all depending on how bold they were in the first place)
Given your experience then, I should play around with the line spacing first, then the font weights?

Thanks for your feedback
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #609
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Sorry Blossom, did you mean that the if I changed the name of the base Caecilia and reloaded it without changing any characteristics of the font, that the new Caecilia would display differently from the base Caecilia? If so, that's really annoying of the way the KPW handles fonts!

Given your experience then, I should play around with the line spacing first, then the font weights?

Thanks for your feedback
Yes that's what I meant, custom Caecilia will look different than default Caecilia. You wont need to mess with line spacing much if at all.

I would start on the weight first.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #610
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would modify the line spacing first and get that right. Then play around with the weight. For my versions of Charis SIL (other then the lighter ones) I used 15/12 for the weight. Some feel that's a bit dark and I've made one with about 1/2 the added weight using 8/5. I've not modified the bold and bold italic as their weight is fine with the others at 15/12.

While Blossom is happy with her weight, I find that a bit too heavy for me. But, at least it gives a choice. And soon there will be yet a third choice.

Today I am updating the readme file in the larger Charis SIL and releasing it out of beta.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #611
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Is there a way to delete some of the normally installed fonts, so as to have room for custom fonts and still see the icons for line spacing and margins?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #612
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Is there a way to delete some of the normally installed fonts, so as to have room for custom fonts and still see the icons for line spacing and margins?
From what I understand, not without jailbreaking.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #613
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've installed the jailbreak - do I need to do more? (I'm a little leery about doing too much with the jailbreaks, though, since I really don't know what I'm doing)
Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #614
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I've installed the jailbreak - do I need to do more? (I'm a little leery about doing too much with the jailbreaks, though, since I really don't know what I'm doing)
It's not exactly trivial to accomplish this. Apart from jailbreaking, USBNetwork needs to be installed and configured. This is necessary to gain access to the directory where the file local.conf needs to be saved: /etc/fonts/

See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...24#post2358224

Getting USBnetwork up and running can be a fiddly process if you're not sure what you're doing.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-18-2013 at 01:29 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #615
BeccaPrice
Wizard

That's way beyond my level of competence. I'll just stick with what I've got. oh, well. I'd rather have the fonts list limited to fonts I'll actually use, but I guess I have to have the whole USE_ALT_FONTS list showing to get my custom fonts to be available.