Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Tey, Josephine: The Daughter of Time, v3. 05 October 2010

Alan Grant, Scotland Yard Inspector (who appears in five other novels by the same author) is confined to bed in hospital with a broken leg. Bored and restless, he becomes intrigued by a reproduction of a portrait of King Richard III brought to him by a friend. He prides himself on being able to read a person's character from his face, and King Richard seems to him a gentle and kind and wise man. Why is everyone so sure that he was a cruel murderer?

With the help of friends and acquaintances, Alan Grant investigates the case of the Princes in the Tower. Grant checks historical information and documents with the help of an American researcher. Using his detective's logic, he comes to the conclusion that the claim of Richard being a murderer is a fabrication of Tudor propaganda, as is the popular image of the King as a monstrous hunchback.

Further, the author explores how history is constructed, and how certain versions of events come to be widely accepted as the truth, despite a lack of evidence. "The Daughter of Time" of the title is from a quote by Sir Francis Bacon: "Truth is the daughter of time, not of authority." Grant comes to understand the ways that great myths are constructed, and how in this case, the victorious Tudors saw to it that their version of history prevailed. Several other such myths are explored by the author, such as the commonly believed (but false) story that troops fired on the public at the 1910 Tonypandy Riot.

From Wikipedia and Fantastic Fiction

Regards, Alex

Version 2 fixes three punctuation typos

Version 3 fixes more typos, and has a better content.opf file and structure

Version 4 fixes yet more typos, curls quotes, and simplifies front matter and end matter
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Daughter of Time.epub (640.8 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by AlexBell; 05-07-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Version 3
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tey, Josephine: The Daughter of Time, v3. 05 October 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post

Version 3 fixes more typos, and has a better content.opf file and structure
Regards, Alex
Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
JThaddeus
JThaddeus began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
Thank you.

I've been wanting to read this for some time, but especially now that I've seen Richard III on stage at the American Shakespeare Center.
JThaddeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThaddeus View Post
I've been wanting to read this for some time, but especially now that I've seen Richard III on stage at the American Shakespeare Center.
You're very welcome. For what it is worth I think Richard was perhaps the most maligned man in history.

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-06-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
You're very welcome. For what it is worth I think Richard was perhaps the most maligne man in history.
So true. He was a victim of a massive amount of political spin and outright lies. I recommend, after reading Tey, that you also read Richard III: His Life & Character by Sir Clements R. Markham (Project Gutenburg) for a scholarly view.

Tey's view is the same as Markham's. Tey weaves a very interesting story around the history. Markham's is pure historical research.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
So true. He was a victim of a massive amount of political spin and outright lies. I recommend, after reading Tey, that you also read Richard III: His Life & Character by Sir Clements R. Markham (Project Gutenburg) for a scholarly view.

Tey's view is the same as Markham's. Tey weaves a very interesting story around the history. Markham's is pure historical research.
Thanks so much. I've downloaded it, and it will be the next book I read.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #7
jadecala
jadecala began at the beginning.

Device: Booken Odissey
I am trying to download this book but I get a .php file that is not readable. I am new in MobireRead so I may have something wrong. I wish to have an ePub file for a Bookeen Odyssey eReader. Thanks.
jadecala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
That's a glitch I also get sometimes. Sometimes it goes away when I left-click instead of right, or the other way round... But if nothing helps, it still shouldn't be a problem: Download the .php file and you should notice that it's the same file size as the .epub (because it IS the .epub file: just change the extension to .epub and you should be good to go.

Thanks for bumping this, btw, and to Alex for putting it up: looks very interesting!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadecala View Post
I am trying to download this book but I get a .php file that is not readable. I am new in MobireRead so I may have something wrong. I wish to have an ePub file for a Bookeen Odyssey eReader. Thanks.

I just downloaded it from the library without problem, so I don't understand what's happening.

Anyway, if you like to send me your email address by private message I'll send it to you. It's about 654 kb.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Version 4 now available: quotes curled, typos fixed, front matter and end matter simplified, minor changes to punctuation, spelling and hyphenation following oxforddictionaries.com