Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
any way to prevent calibre from making a copy of the book when added to its library?

like the title says is it possible to prevent it from making a copy and just add the books?
Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Nope. This is how calibre manages its library. If you don't want calibre to manage your library, you don't need calibre.

More specifically, what are you trying to do that you care? If you're just trying to convert books, use calibre's command line tools and you won't need to import books. If you're trying to use calibre to manage your library, let it manage your library.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Nope. This is how calibre manages its library. If you don't want calibre to manage your library, you don't need calibre.

More specifically, what are you trying to do that you care? If you're just trying to convert books, use calibre's command line tools and you won't need to import books. If you're trying to use calibre to manage your library, let it manage your library.
im fine with it managing my library but making a copy is not managing it
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
silentguy
Connoisseur
silentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't littersilentguy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10. Generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
im fine with it managing my library but making a copy is not managing it
The way it's intended to work is that you don't care about the actual files any more, i.e. you can now just delete the file you added. Think of it as calibre moving it into the proper shelf in the library but being kind enough to leave you a copy cause if it just deleted them even more ppl would complain
Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
The way it's intended to work is that you don't care about the actual files any more, i.e. you can now just delete the file you added. Think of it as calibre moving it into the proper shelf in the library but being kind enough to leave you a copy cause if it just deleted them even more ppl would complain
well im not saying it should delete them but list them from the directories there in already at least have an option to turn it off sense it has the link to direct you to whatever folder the book is in i.e the calibre library it could just send you to whatever directory the book is in
Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
well im not saying it should delete them but list them from the directories there in already at least have an option to turn it off sense it has the link to direct you to whatever folder the book is in i.e the calibre library it could just send you to whatever directory the book is in
Wrong thinking.
With the single library structure, in case the big OOPS happens, Calibre has a single branch to rescan and recreate the metadata (backup for each book is stored in with the books.
Your way = total loss, instead of letting Calibre grind away on the branch for 10 or so minutes.
Smart people pick the Calibre way.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Wrong thinking.
With the single library structure, in case the big OOPS happens, Calibre has a single branch to rescan and recreate the metadata (backup for each book is stored in with the books.
Your way = total loss, instead of letting Calibre grind away on the branch for 10 or so minutes.
well i just meant that it could be an option in settings to turn on and off the feature but sense it seems impossible guess i have to leave it as is
Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
well i just meant that it could be an option in settings to turn on and off the feature but sense it seems impossible guess i have to leave it as is
That would make for a much bigger database (metadata.db) as it would then need to store full paths. The risk of losing files gets bigger (e.g. user deletes files, renames files/folders, moves files to a different location, network drives get disconnected, etc). There's also the issue of what to name and where to store converted copies, and backup metadata and covers.

There's already several threads regarding this. Suffice to say, you're not meant to consider the files inside calibre's library folder as files. They're really more of an extension of calibre's database.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
GoldThreader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That would make for a much bigger database (metadata.db) as it would then need to store full paths. The risk of losing files gets bigger (e.g. user deletes files, renames files/folders, moves files to a different location, network drives get disconnected, etc). There's also the issue of what to name and where to store converted copies, and backup metadata and covers.

There's already several threads regarding this. Suffice to say, you're not meant to consider the files inside calibre's library folder as files. They're really more of an extension of calibre's database.
yeah i realize this just thought it might have been available guess not
Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
It would be better all round, if there was a short explanation as to what Calibre does, on the main Download page.

Lots of people come from the perspective of itunes or Wmplayer, that just index files and does not move them or copy them, its unusual behavair to most people.
It would not work for other files because of their size - imagine a calibre for you videos or game install files - trying to copy over hundreds of GB.

Anyway what I'm saying is - when people install Calibre they don't know the "program" works and what its doing, so they understandably get confused.

Quote:
"This program manages all your books, by copying them into its own folder structure inside a single folder you specify. The originals can be deleted after importing. This is intended behavior and is the best way to manage ebooks" See forum and/or wiki for more info."
Something like that would suit.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
It would be better all round, if there was a short explanation as to what Calibre does, on the main Download page.

Lots of people come from the perspective of itunes or Wmplayer, that just index files and does not move them or copy them, its unusual behavair to most people.
It would not work for other files because of their size - imagine a calibre for you videos or game install files - trying to copy over hundreds of GB.

Anyway what I'm saying is - when people install Calibre they don't know the "program" works and what its doing, so they understandably get confused.

Something like that would suit.
You're right. This is a common question. Which is why it's (obliquely) in Calibre's FAQ. And is stickied in Library Management forum. Look, on some some level, I understand where you're coming from, but if a user can't be bothered to read the FAQ or the program's dedicated forums, he or she almost certainly can't be bothered to read the fine print. What you're suggesting is a 3rd source for information that is already intuitively available to all but the most stubborn users.

PS - Also, I think your argument about the impossibility of a comparable indexing system for other media files assumes that calibre is dealing exclusively with small files. But a single PDF can easily climb into the 100+ MB range. And CBR/CBZ files are frequently around 20MB each. That means that even a limited-run comicbook series of 5 or 6 issues is likely going to exceed 100MB. By comparison, most mp3 albums today clock in at around 75-80MB.

Last edited by ElMiko; 12-18-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
I can only speak for my own experience with iTunes, but when you import files it does copy them into its own directory structure... without telling you that it did it, or where they are.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I can only speak for my own experience with iTunes, but when you import files it does copy them into its own directory structure... without telling you that it did it, or where they are.
You can disable that behavior in recent versions. Apple caved in to customer demand and eventually added that option to iTunes.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #14
phuocle
phuocle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch, iPad 1
Quote:
Wrong thinking.
Please. Don't be so condescending. Just because you or Goyal think & work this way does not mean that's the way everyone work or think. Or hell, that it's even the best way. And they may have some damn good reason to do what they do. I'll let you think about that for a minute or maybe you need two.

As for me, I do not work your way and the big OOPS would not result in a total loss for me at all. Perhaps Calibre is the wrong app for me but unfortunately it seems to be the only ebook manager out there. I can tell you that in my case, it's much better if an ebook management program gave the option to link to the location where books are stored with the full understanding that there may be additional overhead (which is a BS argument since it would be minimal to store one additional field; the path). That way, people who do things a certain way (for good reason) can do things their way.

BTW, if you need a clue, see the message right above mine and think why Apple caved. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote:
Smart ass people maybe.

Last edited by phuocle; 12-23-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:12 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
While theducks may have been a little pointed in his comments there are many ways to do things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuocle View Post
Just because you or Goyal think & work this way does not mean that's the way everyone work or think. Or hell, that it's even the best way. And they may have some damn good reason to do what they do.
The call to place all books in one central place was more of a quality control / customer service call. This minimizes the constant calls, questions, posts about what happened to my books when folks move indexed files. You might want to ask Apple how much indexing music instead of copying it to a central library cost them in customer service in the early years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuocle View Post
BTW, if you need a clue, see the message right above mine and think why Apple caved. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
I may be wrong, but it seems the one who needs "a clue" is you. By default iTunes has always indexed files not purchased through Apple. The feature iTunes caved on is the option to move your files into a central media library instead of indexing them. The following is from iTunes help:

Quote:
By default, adding items to your iTunes library places a pointer to each file in the iTunes folder; the original file remains in the current location. For information about copying files to the iTunes folder instead of referencing them, see Copy files to your iTunes folder automatically.
Maybe you should "think about that for a minute or maybe you need two."

At some point in the future indexing may be an option in calibre but currently there isn't any great customer demand for this feature.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-23-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Closed Thread