Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #61
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Yeah, I read that too... 8 level grayscale.
16 level would obviously have been better but would come at a higher cost and probably we would never even notice the difference.
Shame though because Kindle 2 and 3 have 16 level apparantly.

We may still find that the M90 DOES have 16 level as an extra too, but I'm just speculating Actually I read somewhere that the M91s was going to have a Vizplex screen and the M90 a Pearl screen, but we now know that not to be true.

I personally intend to read mostly technical documents (PDFs), with little or no images but to people that want to use it to read Comic books the level of grayscale could matter some and may be a decider.
Even then it could well be that a 8 scale Pearl screen gives better contrast than a 16bit Viziplex screen... it's still bound to be better than the previous generation eInk screens.

Last edited by kleykenb; 05-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #62
Drop Bear
Enthusiast
Drop Bear began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
Does the wifi mean that you can use this device as a web browser too? Reading newspaper articles would be ideal on this device.

Is there a text highlight function for PDF's? If underlining is the only option then is there the possibility of having point to point vector drawing as running the stylus across the length of the page often covers words up due to human inaccuracy.
Also, are notes exportable to the PC? Do they save to the PDF itself? If not, can you do a screen capture of the PDF and the notes then export that?

Is there an inbuilt dictionary? If so, how is it utilised? Can you tap on a word to look it up as with the Sony PRS650?

Is there a way of rotating the display 180 degrees as it is not always convenient having the usb charger or headphones at the bottom?

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to seeing more reviews of this promising product.

Last edited by Drop Bear; 05-07-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #63
brombus
Enthusiast
brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Yeah, I read that too... 8 level grayscale.
Here on the Chinese website they write that M91S has got 16 level grayscale pearl screen. Who is eventually right?

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...L7PhzEWdpRWxwQ
brombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #64
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
http://www.onyxboox.com/index.php?cPath=21

This page also says "16 level grayscale" and I did read somewhere that the type of screen was largely going to depend on "what is available at the time". Whatever that may mean :-)
More interesting, that website also says for the M90 : Pre-Order Only! Ships May 31, 2011.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #65
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
I thought the m91s comes with pearl - now it says vizplex?
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #66
brombus
Enthusiast
brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OphReader View Post
I thought the m91s comes with pearl - now it says vizplex?
They seem to suggest on the Russian forum that M91S in America will be sold with Vizplex screen and the same model sold in Europe will be with Pearl screen.

http://translate.google.pl/translate...hp%3Ft%3D18873

I have found a Chinese user manual for Boox M91S where we can read just at the beginning (Google translated):"Boox in 8 / 16 gray electronic paper screen, display as a real paper. Lighting by way of passive
And surface diffusion technology, which greatly reduces user eyestrain when reading generated. Handwriting system allows you to record at any time".

http://www.mobread.com/software/user...xm91s_help.pdf

And in China they sell it with 16 grayscale pearl screen:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10148052249

Is there anybody here who could clarify this screen matter?

Last edited by brombus; 05-07-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #67
Drop Bear
Enthusiast

In another forum on Mobileread the Onyx rep states that the screen is Pearl. Pearl appears to be a descriptive term used by Vizplex rather than a trademarked brand.
http://www.onyxboox.com/product_info...products_id=30
This site states that it is a Vizplex PEARL with 50% higher contrast than standard e-ink. Given that standard e-ink is 6-7:1 I am not sure how that equates to the 12:1 figure I have seen floating around. But I do get the feeling that the m90 has the Pearl screen. At the very least it means that it is higher than standard e-ink screens but I am not 100% sure it means the 12:1 ration expected of the pearl best screens.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #68
brombus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Bear View Post
But I do get the feeling that the m90 has the Pearl screen.
M90 has got the Pearl screen with 16 level grayscale. You can see it here:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...KC8X5SUjJCQobQ

But what about M91S?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #69
Drop Bear
Enthusiast

Right you are. The US site omits the word Pearl in the m91S description. Could be a translation issue. I think we will have to wait for the official word from our devoted Onyx rep.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 AM   #70
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Bear View Post
Right you are. The US site omits the word Pearl in the m91S description. Could be a translation issue. I think we will have to wait for the official word from our devoted Onyx rep.
Distributors can chose between a normal 9.7" EPD display (contrast ratio of 7:1) or the PEARL screen (contrast ratio of 12:1).
For the European market (and onyx-boox.com) we chose to equip all the devices with the PEARL screen.

I don't know if the US distributor does the same.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #71
brombus
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
For the European market (and onyx-boox.com) we chose to equip all the devices with the PEARL screen.
Thanks for this info and it is great to hear that in Europe M91S will be available with the Pearl screen (contrast ratio 12:1). I think you could correct the information in the M91S manual on your website. I mean that sentence which has caused so much misunderstanding and confusion: "Boox is powered by an 8-level grayscale e-ink screen that looks and feels like paper" (http://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-m...ox-m91s-manual).

Let's hope that American distributors will also choose their M91S devices with the Pearl screen and contrast ratio with 12:1. That will surely be good for the market and improve sales.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #72
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brombus View Post
I think you could correct the information in the M91S manual on your website. I mean that sentence which has caused so much misunderstanding and confusion: "Boox is powered by an 8-level grayscale e-ink screen that looks and feels like paper" (http://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-m...ox-m91s-manual).
Thanks that you reviewed the manual. I've changed it already.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #73
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
There's a mistake in the manual. off course it has a 16-level greyscale screen.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #74
sammy
Connoisseur
sammy began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 700 entourage edge PB 360 PB603 Kindle DXG Onyx Boox M92
hello I have one more question, when I use the dictionary, can I point on a word in the text and it ist translated, or have I to open a program first? And is it possible to print a text when I did notices and higtlighning in it? Last question: can I make annotations an hightlitning also in pdf wpub and word douments?
Thanks
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #75
Wispy
Wispy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Are there any videos/pictures out there of the M91s? Would love to see it in operation before buying one!
Wispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90