Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
dzigili
dzigili began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Question Copying bought kindle book to other device?

I`m a bit confused. I bought a book in Kindle store with my Kindle 3. Then, for the sake of testing DRM and it`s limits, I copied that book (actual .azw file) from my kindle to my computer. Then I took my roommates Kindle 3 (which is registered to his account, not mine), plugged to my computer and copied that book to his kindle device.
Now we both have that book and are able to read it without problems. Tried clicking 'sync&check for new items' on both kindles and nothing happenes. I expected that his Kindle would erase that book. Can someone explain this to me? For example, what stops me(you, or somone else..) to buy a book, and copy it to XXXX number of devices (upload it to the net, or smthn else) if every device could open it?
I have kindle only for a few days, maybe I got something awfully wrong, but hey, I tried this and it is stupid from Amazon side if it can be done.
dzigili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, dzigili

If you can read that book on your friends device, it does not have drm.

Which book was it?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
this is true... if it works on both kindles then the book does not have DRM... even for kindles on the same account you can not simply copy a book from one to the other since the DRM is based on the specific kindle
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
dzigili
dzigili began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Thanks. The book was : http://www.amazon.com/Start-Up-Still...pr_product_top
dzigili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yeah, that's a no-DRM book. The "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" in the Kindle edition's Product Details is basically a code phrase for that, although Amazon won't officially admit to it.

Also, welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzigili View Post
[..] For example, what stops me(you, or somone else..) to buy a book, and copy it to XXXX number of devices (upload it to the net, or smthn else) if every device could open it?
Your conscience, hopefully. As making the file available for many people would definitely be illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzigili View Post
I have kindle only for a few days, maybe I got something awfully wrong, but hey, I tried this and it is stupid from Amazon side if it can be done.
The publisher decides if a book is DRM protected or not, not Amazon.
I for one are very thankful, that some publisher still believe that they can trust their customer to obey the law.

In the end, DRM is mostly a nuisance for user with multiple devices. People who want to pirate the books are not really dissuaded by it.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
how can you tell? i did a search on the page for the word simultaneous and didn't come up with anything. then i tried Unlimited - and also didn't come up with anything. has my firefox gone crazy or am i missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Yeah, that's a no-DRM book. The "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" in the Kindle edition's Product Details is basically a code phrase for that, although Amazon won't officially admit to it.

Also, welcome to MobileRead!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
Simon69
Simon69 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
how can you tell? i did a search on the page for the word simultaneous and didn't come up with anything. then i tried Unlimited - and also didn't come up with anything. has my firefox gone crazy or am i missing something?
You have to select the Kindle edition, the posted link points to the paperback edition.
Simon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks - i assumed (wrongly) that the link would point to the kindle edition. sent a little karma your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon69 View Post
You have to select the Kindle edition, the posted link points to the paperback edition.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote