Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Simbeline
Simbeline began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader with subfolders

Hi! Sorry if this is something obvious, but I've been having trouble cooking up info on this on the web. It seems like it's either something people think everyone knows about or no one knows about, I'm not sure.

Okay, so I'm looking for an ereader to read a large number of (let's say epub files, they can be anything though - mobipocket, for instance, so if Kindle works for this format is not an issue) files that don't have any sort of metadata information (author, genre, etc), just a title which I want to keep as just the title of the file, rather than having to name things "author-series-title" or something like that (because that would make the titles often ridiculously long). In other words, difficult to search through, because I have to know the name of the file I'm looking for.

SO - I want an ereader that has the ability somehow, someway, whether it's plugged into a computer and using some kind of software to organize this into not just folders, but most importantly SUBFOLDERS. All the ereaders I've looked at in the stores and online have the ability to make shelves/collections/whatever, but not SUB-shelves/SUB-collections. This is annoying. I thought of using a work around by naming my folders "Mainfoldername-Subfoldername1" followed by "Mainfoldername-Subfoldername2" etc, and keeping them alphabetically organized, but as most ereaders don't have a way to quickly scroll through a large number of folders. For reference, I currently have 19 folders with more than 100 subfolders inside them - using this method would mean having over 100 shelves to scroll through.

Currently, I keep all these files on my ipad organized on Dropbox, but I really want the paper-like screen, size (the ipad doesn't fit in my purse, but an average 6" ereader would) and battery life of an ereader.

I've found some places that seem to indicate that you can plug some ereaders into your computer and just make folders and subfolders on the device from there, and the ereader will display them appropriately, but it's a mixed bag as to WHICH ereaders do this. Some people say Sony does, but that the ereader also messes with the folders/files. Some people say the Kobo can't do this. Some people say the Kindle might do this? It was kind of unclear from what I was reading. Please note I live in Canada and so far as I know at the moment, Nook is not an option. Also note things like ergonomics/speed/harddrive space/etc are not really issues - even as PDFs as they are right now the 1400-odd files I'm talking about only consume about 1GB of space.

Thanks for any help m(_ _)m
Simbeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I don't know of the availability in Canada but from the most recent readers you can choose between
Onyx Boox i62HD, Pocketbook622, Cybook Orizon
or older models of these brands.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Simbeline

Thanks for the reply! The pocketbook seems like it's difficult to get in Canada but the other two look good. My only problem is I've never seen any of those in retail store so I'm a little leery of them (just because I like to play around with one before I buy), although I'll certainly give them a try if they seem like a good fit. Anyone know if kobo/sony/kindle can/can't deal with subfolders?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbeline View Post
Anyone know if kobo/sony/kindle can/can't deal with subfolders?
No on the Kindle.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
My Bookeen Opus can have infinite sub-folders.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The Kobos don't have folders either.

But if you are using subfolders to organise the books by author/series then current Kobo firmware does this for you, so for example if you list or search books by author then the titles by that author are listed with each series grouped together and in proper series order.

The Kobos have shelves, which are esentially the same thing as collections or categories in that you can put a book on more than one shelf. So combining shelves with the series sorting it is easy to organise your books by category --> author --> series without the need for subfolders.

Of course if you have some other organisation in mind then this won't help you.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
@GeoffR: But the Kobos use metadata rather than file/folder names to do all this. And that is what the OP does not want.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Anyone know if kobo/sony/kindle can/can't deal with subfolders?
They can. They do read books from inside subfolders and display them in a simple linear list

OK, OK ...
This is not the answer you wanted to hear, so here is better one:

Kindle Touch can deal with subfolders, and actually use those for book navigation. Just install Duokan on it. Duokan is alternative Chinese firmware. I have installed it for a friend. Just check what firmware your new Kindle Touch has and do not connect it to internet. You might have problem installing Duokan on Kindle Touch with the newest firmware.

SONY can deal with subfolders and actually use those for book navigation. Just buy T1 or T2 model AND root them. Then you can install quite a few Android reading applications and file managers. T1 and T2 models are Android devices.
Also older Sony readers, most notably PRS 505 had interesting third-party hacks available that let you use subfolders.

You can also root Nook Simple Touch.
Using Android on it is not a pleasure, but an ugly hack, but, once you open FBReader or CoolReader, you do not need to interface with Android that wasn't built with e-ink screen in mind and. Those two reading applications are nice and can deal with hierarchical directories.

From devices that support hierarchical directories AND many book formats "out-of-box" I would recommend PocketBook.

Last edited by kacir; 01-11-2013 at 06:50 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
@GeoffR: But the Kobos use metadata rather than file/folder names to do all this. And that is what the OP does not want.
The metadata can be generated automatically by Calibre and inserted into the Kobo database, so it doesn't matter that the books themselves don't have metadata.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
The nook ST series can handle folders just fine.

I got one for xmas and thats how I organize all my stuff.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Simbeline

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I found a place where you can buy the nook in Canada, so I'll take a look at it. Previously I didn't think you could get one here.

Re: metadata - Popped one into calibre. It does generate some metadata, but not information that really relavent to how I want search/sort it =/ (like series and genre). Edit: Although I suppose I could do that manually with bulk edit or something - it's not a deal breaker.

Last edited by Simbeline; 01-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Re: metadata - Popped one into calibre. It does generate some metadata, but not information that really relavent to how I want search/sort it =/ (like series and genre). Edit: Although I suppose I could do that manually with bulk edit or something - it's not a deal breaker.
Calibre has very extensive functionality regarding metadata, tags, series, genere, downloading metadata and covers automatically from net *and* bulk management of that metadata with support of regular Expressions and other *very* powerful tools. Calibre also has tools that let you bulk import metadata you have in form of filenames, directory names and other things.

One more thing:
Have a look at the Kindle Collection manager at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186305

It lets you to use PC (Calibre) AND/OR user interface on Kindle itself to create nested collections on Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite. You can import/export collections to/from Kindle itself or to/from Calibre.

Last edited by kacir; 01-13-2013 at 06:05 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It is mind-boggling that such a simple and desirable feature remains unavailable on all the major brands. I used a Sony 650 with Prs+ which allows me use sub-folders on an SD card which I can browse directly. I know the Opus Cybook does it out of the box, so presumably the later models do, too. However, they are very poorly supported in N.America. Getting a case will cost you an arm and a leg in shipping. But they are good readers. Yes, I too would look at the option of a Nook. Where can you get them in Canada?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
Simbeline

http://www.shopereaders.com/Barnes-N...ook-2-glow.htm

This company ships to Canada =).
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Too bad the brand did not take off, but Astak's EZ Pocket Pro had nested folders and is a great, though outdated, reader.

No touch screen, no wifi, no builtin dictionary. It has a TTS with an unacceptable voice; but it does do nested subfolders.....

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote