Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Shirohane
Enthusiast
Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nook Tablet
Smile Choosing my first eBook reader

So, I'd like some help with choosing my first eBook reader. Currently, I use my smartphone as a reader and I want a bigger screen. So far, I have narrowed down what I wanted to the following three readers: BeBook Neo, Sony PRS-600 and Kobo.

The tricky part is that I would want a reader that will allow me to draw on it. And by draw, I mean sketch or draw and not doodle. I don't know whether the Sony PRS 600 or the BeBook Neo would allow to do that. What I'd like to do is draw on the reader as I would on paper and export the drawing to my computer. (From what I saw the eeeTablet/eeeNote might just be what I want but I don't know whether I can wait that long or if I'd like the price tag on it.)

In the case where I can't get a reader that will allow me to draw, I'd go for the most basic reader. In this case, the Kobo.

Of course any suggestion for a reader that would fit the bill would be great too. It's just that I live in Canada so it pretty much disqualifies most readers out there. (Including the Iliad which I was drooling over.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who actually bothered reading the whole post.
Shirohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, you can draw on both the BeBook Neo and the Sony PRS-600/900, although the Neo does it a lot better, due to its more accurate and responsive Wacom touch screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Shirohane
Enthusiast
Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a lot for that. I actually just sampled the Sony PRS-600 and I must say that I was disappointed. The lines were too rough and the touch screen had trouble keeping up with my strokes...

Is the BeBook Neo like that too? And should I just get the Kobo and save up for an eventual tablet PC at this point? I mean I'm not expecting the BeBook Neo to be like a tablet PC but I don't really want it to be worst than trying to draw with a mouse in MS Paint; which is what the PRS-600 felt like to me. =(
Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
You might want to wait a few more months as there are a crop of new readers coming out. In particular you might like the upcoming Pocketbooks with touchscreens. They have both a 6" and a 9" screen touchscreen model upcoming.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Shirohane
Enthusiast

I just looked up the Pocketbook 302 and that's actually quite interesting. Does anyone know how good it is for drawing?
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
This guy talks about that one and shows it kinda drawing in the vid at a point.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ands-on-video/
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Shirohane
Enthusiast

I saw the video. It's interesting but then again, I thought about it and I'll probably get a second-hand tablet PC for drawing.

That aside, I was comparing the Kobo and the Amazon Kindle 3 (with 3G) and I think I'll just order a Kindle 3 in the end.

Tags
canada, choosing ebook reader, drawing