Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Vauh
Zealot
Vauh began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Please help with quotation marks

I have the problem that quotation marks, like " " will be accepted, but unfortunately not with html pages from the web:

» and «

When I write in Word and save as html, then these marks will be accepted.
I do not know, how the web html pages were created.

Any hints?

Vauh
Vauh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
In HTML quotation marks are meant to be escaped - normally to the sequence "
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
You should be able to use the entities for guillemets:

«
»

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Vauh
Zealot
Vauh began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
OK, thanks. It works, but I was looking for an easier way within Calibre.

Vauh
Vauh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
you can quote me

Left and right double quotation marks, often use “ and ”, so you can do a search and replace in the html and replace them with less fine but universally readable ". You can use a program like Notepad++.

As I recall this is a problem with LRF files than EPUBs.

You can also get odd characters by the code pages not matching. There is a place in the conversion settings where you can experiment trying different ones.

You might do what I have done from time to time. Search for &# in the html and when you find something you don't recognize, copy it to the clipboard and paste it into a Google search window, It will mostly not find anything, but it will display what it is.

Then you can decide what you want to do with it and all the other &# codes.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Left and right double quotation marks, often use “ and ”
If I might ask: What method did you use to generate those double quotation marks? Do you copy/paste them from a program that can generate them, use the ALT codes on your keyboard, use a custom BB/Forum plugin or what?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote