Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
File names with "(" and ")" can cause screen freezes

Just discovered that any ebook with a file name containing "(" and ")" could not be opened with JB. The hour-glass wouldn't go away and a reset is required.

"[" and "]" are ok though.

Just thought of sharing.

Last edited by greenapple; 02-03-2010 at 10:32 PM.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
wackywalt
wackywalt began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook Lite
I can't agree with that for folders because I have plenty of folders with parenthesis, "(" and ")". Calibre Software generates these on the folder names.
wackywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

I don't really understand what's going on. Early on I've got a couple of files with "()" and they could be opened with the JB.

But the last few days, any freshly transferred files containing "()" as part of the file name could not be opened by JB. They worked only after I removed "()".

Really, really weird..
Old 02-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Power on change of SD card

Try removing and reinstalling the SD card with the power on your JB.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist

I created a simple text file, with nothing in it except the word "hello", saved it as "untitled (new).txt", and the JB wouldn't be able to open it. But it's able to open it as "untitled.txt". Both were transferred to the main memory.

I've also tried removing the SD card and reinserting. Didn't help though.

Could the firmware be corrupt or something.

Last edited by greenapple; 02-04-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
greenapple
Evangelist

Re-installed firmware v0.33g (over the same version).

Created again with a very simple text file. Named one as "new(again).txt" and another as "new.txt" and transferred both to JB's main memory. JB could not open "new(again).txt" - the hour glass wouldn't go away. I reset JB, and loaded "new(again).txt" again. Still no go.

After another reset, I tried loading "new.txt". It opened. I closed it, and tried "new(again).txt". This time, to my surprise, it opened.

I've taken all the precautions gr8npwrfl mentioned. Both files were stored only 1 level deep in the folder structure. Refreshing with SD card also didn't seem to do the trick.

Something to do with hardware/linux glitch. Perhaps.