Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
Brief review of Jetbook

And I do mean brief, I'll be happy to do an in depth one later, but I'm just not feeling up to it.

I recieved my Jetbook Tuesday, purchasing from an authorized Jetbook dealer on eBay. Arrived within two days of my ordering it, and cost under $300. I have the burgundy one, which is an actual burgundy color and not the redder color shown on the webpage for Jetbook.

PDF:
Pro: These view fairly well. If you go over 100% in most cases, it makes it so you have to scroll. Since I have the Apire One, I'm already used to this scrolling so it wasn't a big deal to me.

Con: New installed PDFs seem to take longer to open. New ones also risk not opening at all, or seem corrupted. I've yet to install a PDF over a certain size that worked.

Conclusion: I have not worked with PDF much, so I refuse to say that the Jetbook is bad for PDFs. I simply need to figure them out better than I have so far.

Text:

Pro: Far easier to find text files for most books. This is not to say all but given how much time I spend on Gutenberg, text is perfect.

Con: This is just me. The text if it is not cleaned up from Gutenberg, or where ever, looks choppy. You might spend some extra time in an editor cleaning up the text, creating better page breaks. This may not be worth it to some. It is to me.

Conclusion: Text viewing is great here. But, since the Jetbook is made for text, of course it rocks at it.

FB2:

Pro: None so far.

Con: I need to qualify the "con". I haven't worked with the FB2. I need to figure out first how to do the upgrade. I understand that in order to view these files, I need to upgrade the Jetbook. Having said that, my "con" is the fact that Jetbook should release the new models with the upgrade installed already. It is an overly complicated effort for the average user.

MP3

Pro: Works great in background.
Con: None really. I didn't get the Jetbook for this feature, its simply a nice addition. You aren't going to store a ton here either, this feature is meant for audio books.

Screen:

Pros: Not backlit, no "blip" when you turn the page, and super super crisp images and text. (as long as you don't sneeze on your book)

Panoramic view is clean and looks great.

Page flip is fast and clean. As long as your text is clean.

Cons: I can see where backlight might be nice, but I don't miss it.

Pictures:
I haven't taken many, sorry folks. But this is the Jetbook with a comic book on it. The comic book is in color, but the Jetbook did a nice job turning that to greyscale. It is readable, clear, and crisp in PDF format. No delay on load (as I mentioned above) and page flipping is easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0136.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	747.9 KB
ID:	25108   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0135.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	704.3 KB
ID:	25109  
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If I recall correctly there is an "update" option on the settings/system menu that you use to point to the update file. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes once you find the file and get it on your jetbook.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If I recall correctly there is an "update" option on the settings/system menu that you use to point to the update file. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes once you find the file and get it on your jetbook.

BOb

This one doesn't appear to have it, so as soon as I get home (unexpected hospital sidetrack) I'll find a small card and attempt the upgrade.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote