Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Wink Why not get two?

OK, so I just got my eBookwise 1150 a couple of weeks ago, and have been happily playing with it and loving the whole concept of "ebooks", which I'd never really experienced before.

And I thought that would be enough.

But then - last night I saw someone on Amazon was selling a Kindle 1.0 for $200 and I thought, "hmm ... there *do* seem to be a lot more books & stuff available for it. Should I?"

Bottom line: I did!

I'm still gonna keep my eBookwise (for a while anyway) - I've already put over 25 books on it and I'm thinking it'd be nice to have an extra device around "just in case", and for traveling.

So - am I the only one who has more than one ebook reader? (somehow I doubt it! ) If you have more than one, which are they? and do you still buy/upload new books for each or have you pretty much settled on one as the "default"?
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I don't have two, but a lot of people do!

$200 is a good price. I've been kind of tempted to go to Circuit City to see if they have any cheap 505s in stock (for a backup)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'll have two starting tomorrow hopefully, if my K2 arrives. I don't know if I'll keep the Sony (had it since 10/07) or not. It's certainly a good device & I have no real issues with it, but I might pass it on to a friend who's interested in a reader, but can't afford one right now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I read completely different kinds of books on my Kindle (my 1st e-novel at the moment) and my iRex DR 1000s (I've put about 15 role playing game books on it).
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have (will have) Kindle 1 and 2 but when the Plastic Logic Reader comes out, I may be added it to the collection.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Count me into the “two” readers (Cybook and 505) club…
As I have said before “better then to have 1 eBook reader is to have 2 eBook readers”!

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Yep! I'm also thinking it would be nice to keep one in my nightstand, for pre-sleep reading, and those occasional bouts of insomnia. :-)
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
2 readers

i've got the red sony 505 and the cybook and my sister borrowed my silver sony 505....
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I would love to add a Cybook as my 2nd reader..hehe.
(but, shhh.. don't tell hubby.. lol)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my red Sony 505
but I do love gadgets and a Cybook would be nice
for the dictionary and mobi books.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Can't even decide on one, let alone two! Readers here are around 300-400 euro, so for that money, I want to make the perfect choice (if I only knew what it was...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
There's no perfect choice, as the technology is not perfected yet.

I will get a 2nd ereader someday. One with a bigger screen (colour would be a bonus), for good PDF and comics/manga support.

iRex's new ereader was a disapointment to me. The battery lasts 5 hours? It takes 5 hours to recharge? Also, 700€ (900USD)?? I'm hoping for FLEPia, Plastic Logic and Astak's Mentor to consider buying a 2nd eReader.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm one of those with two devices as well. I bought my Kindle just a bit over a year ago and then bought the Sony 505 last summer. Similarly to PhishStyx, I read different stuff on them. The Kindle is my primary reader and I purchase about 60% of my books from Amazon. I have never registered the Sony or even installed the Sony software, so for now I'm relegated to reading DRM-free books on it. These I have purchased from Baen and Fictionwise. (Yes, I put these same books on the Kindle.) Since I have the lighted cover for the Sony, it is the first choice for reading in the car at night so as to avoid problems with the map light or flashlight bothering my hubby's eyes as he drives.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
There's no perfect choice, as the technology is not perfected yet.
Did you notice you gave the reason why I don't have even one ereader?

But, if I were honest, I'd say I have 2... I got 2 Franklin eBookmans... They both still work perfectly, but I don't use them anymore.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Did you notice you gave the reason why I don't have even one ereader?

But, if I were honest, I'd say I have 2... I got 2 Franklin eBookmans... They both still work perfectly, but I don't use them anymore.
If you'll be waiting for the perfect choice, I guess you would wait forever. Technology is always evolving.

You have to think what you want and what ereader gives that to you.

It makes me remember when I buy a cell phone. I look to all those fancy features, including photo, video, live tv, mp3 player, etc... And after 2 months, I only use it for talking and messaging. So I guess next time I won't look for the ultimate cell phone. Just one that does the job.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
johanm
johanm began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (Hanlin v3) and iPod Touch
Well I ended up with 2 ebook readers; a BeBook (Hanlin v3) and an iPod Touch, although I hesitate to consider the iPod Touch as a real ebook reader. In my opinion it is something you can use for short reads (article, chapter) for those odd moments that otherwise seem a waste of time (eg. sitting on train or in waiting room), but not for reading outdoors, a whole book or hours on end. However, I must admit that the iPod Touch outperforms the BeBook for CHM ebooks and PDF emagazines. I just finished a review today on the use of the iPod Touch to read ebooks: http://blog.johan-mares.be/ict/gadge...o-read-ebooks/
BeBook reviews: http://blog.johan-mares.be/category/ict/gadget/bebook/
johanm is offline   Reply With Quote