Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Doctor Who was always a cult item over here, as was things like Blake's Seven. Cheesy production values were part of the appeal. The current production has better production values, good acting, and intelligent scripting (if you can swallow the underlying premise.) The current Doctor's somewhat bug-eyed manic intensity can get a little wearing...

I'm a little surprised you find our SF more slick and interesting (unless you are specifically referring to the film and TV variety). I tend to think of British SF as higher general quality than ours, at least on the literary end.
______
Dennis
There has been excellent American SF. "Babylon 5" was, I think, superb, to name but one example.

I went to Stratford-on-Avon last week and saw David Tennant playing the lead role in the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of "Hamlet" (in which Patrick Stewart also appears). David was equally "bug-eyed" in that - a wonderful performance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then doesn't it have to be referred to as Dr. Who 2005 season 4 and if not, then you mean the original season 4. Looks like time for someone to go back and edit a post to fix a boo-boo.
I'm afraid this is something you're going to fight in vain against, Jon . Like it or not, the current DW is universally referred to as "Season X", starting with the revival of the show in 2005. It's generally obvious whether one is referring to the new or the old series.
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #33
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid this is something you're going to fight in vain against, Jon . Like it or not, the current DW is universally referred to as "Season X", starting with the revival of the show in 2005. It's generally obvious whether one is referring to the new or the old series.
Call me obstreperous but as far as I am concerned we've just closed season 30 with Doctor nr. 10

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-11-2008 at 11:31 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fine, but don't go to Amazon and look for a "Season 30 Box Set" - you won't find one .
Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #35
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I recently read Connie Willis' All Seated on the Ground, and am very happy that it won. There aren't many scifi Christmas stories out there.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #36
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
While this is mostly kindle-store related, the spreadsheet is a database of all hugo, nebula, and fantasy award winners (novel category only). Sometimes its nice to sort by a favorite author or search on a book title.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24766

I have the 2008 nominations, but have not updated it with the winner yet.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #37
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
When a book isn't available in an electronic edition, I normally point the finger of blame at the publisher first. I don't recall hearing Chabon had an opinion one way of the other.
I agree. Sometimes it's about the author but usually not. I've really been wanting to read Yiddish Policemen's Union. It was the first thing I flagged when Amazon introduced their new little feature to let the publisher know you want the title for the Kindle. Sadly a lot of publishers are slow to get on this bandwagon. I'm glad to have an easy way to tell them. He does have some of the McSweeney's stuff on Amazon but they're by a different publisher. YPU is "Harper Perennial". Not sure how that relates to HarperCollins who I thought was getting fairly enthusiastic about electronic publishing. Still, if we want it, we need to keep pestering. Folks could go write them or go hit that button on Amazon. Even if you don't own a Kindle, it seems to me publishers often release a title on multiple formats once they've bothered to do it at all.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't always point a finger at the publisher. It's quite possible the author doesn't want eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #39
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
There has been excellent American SF. "Babylon 5" was, I think, superb, to name but one example.
I was speaking specifically of British written SF as being generally superior to the American variety. I concur on Babylon 5 - I consider it one of the best TV series, period, and it's one of the very few shows I actively wanted to watch every week and was unhappy if I missed an episode.

Quote:
I went to Stratford-on-Avon last week and saw David Tennant playing the lead role in the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of "Hamlet" (in which Patrick Stewart also appears). David was equally "bug-eyed" in that - a wonderful performance.
Stewart has gotten rave reviews for his performance in Hamlet over here, too. I'm not a particularly big Star Trek fan, but Stewart's performances in Next Gen went a long way toward making it watchable.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 AM   #40
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't always point a finger at the publisher. It's quite possible the author doesn't want eBooks.
Indeed, witness JK Rowling. But in general, the publisher is the likely culprit.

In this case, all I know is that Chabon's work isn't available in electronic form.
______
Dennis
Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 AM   #41
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I agree. Sometimes it's about the author but usually not. I've really been wanting to read Yiddish Policemen's Union. It was the first thing I flagged when Amazon introduced their new little feature to let the publisher know you want the title for the Kindle. Sadly a lot of publishers are slow to get on this bandwagon. I'm glad to have an easy way to tell them. He does have some of the McSweeney's stuff on Amazon but they're by a different publisher. YPU is "Harper Perennial". Not sure how that relates to HarperCollins who I thought was getting fairly enthusiastic about electronic publishing. Still, if we want it, we need to keep pestering. Folks could go write them or go hit that button on Amazon. Even if you don't own a Kindle, it seems to me publishers often release a title on multiple formats once they've bothered to do it at all.
Harper Perrenial is an imprint of HarperCollins. HarperCollins was formed when News Corporation (Rupert Murdoch's company) bought Harper and Row, and merged it with British publisher William Collins. Other HarperCollins imprints include PB house Avon, William Morrow, and Zondervan, the Christian imprint. Harper's specifically SF line is Eos Books.

I suspect how enthusiastic Harper Collins is about ebooks depends upon just which imprint you are talking about.
______
Dennis
Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #42
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Chabon is pretty tech savy, and most the authors who are anti-ebook are the.. giant pop-fiction writers. I can't imagine Chabon is anti-ebook himself.

But here's hoping... Man, I want that book on my Kindle. I have the real thing but.. real books just don't get read around here!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:48 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Stewart has gotten rave reviews for his performance in Hamlet over here, too. I'm not a particularly big Star Trek fan, but Stewart's performances in Next Gen went a long way toward making it watchable.
______
Dennis
I saw him also a couple of years ago when he was taking the lead role in the RSC's production of "Antony and Cleopatra". He was excellent in that, too. He was, of course, a Shakespearean actor for many years before becoming publically "famous" for his role in ST:TNG!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #44
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I suspect how enthusiastic Harper Collins is about ebooks depends upon just which imprint you are talking about.
Ahhhh, that would explain that. I wasn't considering it consciously, but Eos seems to be pretty gung-ho about e-books, which I think is where I got the idea that publishers in general might active in producing e-book editions of their SF works. The whole semi-autonomous-imprint thing makes it all make sense.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #45
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
I saw him also a couple of years ago when he was taking the lead role in the RSC's production of "Antony and Cleopatra". He was excellent in that, too. He was, of course, a Shakespearean actor for many years before becoming publically "famous" for his role in ST:TNG!
Many of the folks I'm impressed by seem to have been classically trained and done time in legit theater aside from movie and TV appearances, so I'm not surprised.
______
Dennis