Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
eReader battery needed!

(duplicate deleted)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-21-2014 at 12:43 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread moved out of the Freebies forum - which is inappropriate for this forum - and moved to the Flea Market forum where it belongs.

Now moved to the Sony Forum - the best fit.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-20-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Edited to reflect changed view
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don, Since you have now elected to move the message to the Sony section can you perhaps add the 950 icon to the front of the message.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If I remember, the original price of the PRS-950 was well over $200. The original price of the 350 was $179, then discounted to $129, discounted price on the 650 was $179.

If you should break down and order it from Sony or their supplier, make sure it's through a credit card where you have some leverage to be able to dispute the charge if they don't deliver, where the credit card company will refund the amount.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard

Replacement battery needed!

I need a battery for my Sony PRS 950 ereader.

The battery model number is A-1792-542-A. It is ~3 7/8" long, ~1 3/4" wide, and very thin, perhaps 1/8".

Sony and one of Sony's suppliers tell me they can "back order" the battery for $87.78 plus shipping and handling. What a joke. This is more than the ereader cost plus getting delivery is dubious at best.

I struck out on eBay and Amazon.

Anyway, if anyone can steer me to a source for this battery, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 08-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
The LiIon batteries are pretty standard. Some cellphones as well as other appliances have this thin model, and a bit of soldering harms nobody. Pick one smaller, you can't cut a bigger one, but you can fill in the remaining space with anything suitable.

Unless of course you wanna buy one of the last T3s outthere.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I can't remember if you're in the US or not, but if so have you tried taking the battery into a Batteries Plus store? If they can't order one they should be able to build you a new battery pack (probably cheaper than the almost $90 Sony want for the backordered official part).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard

Thanks for the good suggestions.

I prefer a ready-to-use battery of known good provenance.

I have NOT been impressed with Batteries Plus.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The topic of where to get good replacement batteries came up on Slashdot a few days ago (http://ask.slashdot.org/story/14/08/...ment-batteries). Many swore by Anker, but their website only shows batteries for cellphones and laptops. Maybe it would be worth contacting them about a battery for an ereader?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard

Thanks! I have emailed Anker.

. . . . Pete
Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard

Response from Anker was negative...they don't have a battery for the Sony PRS 950.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Bumping this in the desperate hope that there's something new on this front.

My 950, the best-loved and workhorse of my ereader chicks, dies as soon as I take it off the charger. I would give thanks for a long and valiant life and move on IF I could replace it with another 7" reader that plays nice with Calibre tags, and even be secretly glad to get higher resolution. But since size and organization are my two highest priorities, I'd like to give old Bessie the kiss of life if possible.

Anything? Bueller?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I have an old mp3 player whose battery died. There wasn't any battery available that was explicitly made for it, so I just ordered some random one of the same type (Li polymer) that had similar dimensions and the same voltage and charge capacity (mAh). It doesn't cycle quite like the original did, but it works.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I have an old mp3 player whose battery died. There wasn't any battery available that was explicitly made for it, so I just ordered some random one of the same type (Li polymer) that had similar dimensions and the same voltage and charge capacity (mAh). It doesn't cycle quite like the original did, but it works.
This sounds doable and worth trying. Thank you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
This sounds doable and worth trying.
i, Please report back as to what you found and how it worked.

I'm still looking for a replacement battery for one of my 950s.

Thanks!

. . . . Pete