Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Epub on PC

I'm doing some research using several sources in ePub format, obviously I have no problem reading them on my Sonys, however, it would be convenient to also access them on my PC, especially when it comes to annotations and even better if it supports those little balloon pop-ups (Look into what Philborne says on this subject) kind of reminders.

I looked in the Win 8 store, but they seem to come up short for my needs. I prefer it to be a standalone program, rather than a browser extension (too many browser tabs open as it is). I don't care if it costs, as long as it lets me do what I need.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I almost hate to suggest it, but why not the Sony Reader Library software on the PC? That reads epubs very nicely.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It syncs the books in a funky manner. Because I have Japanese firmware on them the Reader software will overwrite everything that is on the devices. Hence, the need for something else.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It syncs the books in a funky manner. Because I have Japanese firmware on them the Reader software will overwrite everything that is on the devices. Hence, the need for something else.
They might have removed it in the new software, but in the old software you could turn of the syncing. Click on preferences, and it should be there. ( My memory is a bit foggy, and I don't have the software, since my harddrive crashed earlier this year)
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I'm doing some research using several sources in ePub format, obviously I have no problem reading them on my Sonys, however, it would be convenient to also access them on my PC, especially when it comes to annotations and even better if it supports those little balloon pop-ups (Look into what Philborne says on this subject) kind of reminders.

I looked in the Win 8 store, but they seem to come up short for my needs. I prefer it to be a standalone program, rather than a browser extension (too many browser tabs open as it is). I don't care if it costs, as long as it lets me do what I need.
Adobe Digital Editions?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Adobe Digital Editions?
No annotation.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
No annotation.
Hmmm...Nook for PC? That does do annotations, according to this
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Thanks for the tip. It isn't bad, but it is still too limited. I would need a selection of colors for highlighting, different color for different usage. That sort of thing. It is a nice reader though, no doubt. I just thought there might be something made by an ambitious developer.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Friendly bump here. Would also like to find a standalone software that permit annotations!
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Discovered that ADE has a 2nd edition. That seems to have some of the functionality. One problem is that I need to jump around a lot in the text, and the suggested applications doesn't have support for that. Only page movement. I can't jump a 100 pages, jump back another 20 and then return to my original place without putting in bookmarks. After a while there will be so many bookmarks that they become useless.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Nook for PC is nice. Can do annotations but I wonder if they are saved in my account. Anyone aware of this? I know I can read books on every PC I installed the app, but do the annotations stay in memory in my account or on the PC? WOuld love to have the annotation everywhere I go!
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. It isn't bad, but it is still too limited. I would need a selection of colors for highlighting, different color for different usage. That sort of thing. It is a nice reader though, no doubt. I just thought there might be something made by an ambitious developer.
Check and see if you can get NOOK STUDY.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookst...load/index.asp
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Yes, this is more in line of what I was looking for. Didn't know B&N had a specific Nook edition for studies. Kindle is behind the curve here.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Yes, this is more in line of what I was looking for. Didn't know B&N had a specific Nook edition for studies. Kindle is behind the curve here.
They also have a specific app for the Kids books.
Nook Kids.
Needed because the regular Nook apps can't open the kids books.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Use the ebook reader that comes with Calibre. It's called in ebook-viewer.exe and it's in the calibre program folder. I think it will open most formats.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote