Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #181
davidfosterart
davidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Well I was going to get a basic Kindle and wanted the case with a light but I heard of the Kobo Glo. I had discounted Kobo and walked past them every time I go into WHSmith. (I have been there with Betamax!)

I thought what the heck, I could try it for the weekend and if not happy take it back and go Kindle.

My wife has a Kindle keyboard so I can compare the two.

Very impressed with this Kobo Glo. It may be staying. Love the light, it may be a bit blotchy, shadowy, but great for night time reading. Much better than a £10 add on LED. Without the light it is exactly the same as the Kindle. Got the same book up on both, same font size, the Kobo seems better layout with title and chapter and pages header and footer.

I have used my wife's Kindle and I thought I would miss the buttons, didn't want to touch the screen while reading but I find the touch is great.

If the Kindle Paperwhite was available here I would have got that instead though because so far I have found Amazon to have better book choice and cheaper. I have found the Kindle buying experience better than Kobo's.

The hardware is spot on though, like the rubber finish and no buttons.
davidfosterart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #182
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Instead, try taking each line in chunks - start with 2-3 words, then blip to the next two or three, move on to the next chunk, etc. As you practice, you will take in a line in fewer and fewer pieces, with more words/chunk. That's when you gain the speed.
Thanks again EldRick! I forgot about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
sombreastre - I assure you that it works for anyone who doesn't have to spell out the words to understand them - the whole idea is to get away from subconscious vocalization. It's not just a scam.
I just practiced your "blipping" whilst reading the rest of this thread. It was extremely difficult to concentrate on the words instead of remembering to blip... I was concentrated on what I was doing instead of reading the content, so I kept having to re-read everything I'd already "blipped." And, that annoying vocalisation won't bugger off. If I don't do it, I don't know what I'm reading.

Oh well, I guess it's up to a lot of practise. I'll keep trying, I hope I'm more patient this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
As Mrs. Often says, weird is good. Normal is boring (it's our eccentricities and peculiarities which make us interesting).
That's exactly what I always say!

Quote:
As for the speed reading. I used to be able to do something with the whole page absorption thing but with diagrams and with auditory stimuli (I could just sit and absorb six conversations at once) but it's like any skill, it gets rusty with disuse.
Interesting! I'd love to examine brain activity and such with people doing such absorption tricks. Makes one wonder how small a percentage of brain function we actually use in day to day life.

Quote:
As for more "normal" speedreading, I am sometimes able to read quite a bit faster and process all the information and forget about the imaginary auditory accompaniment ringing out inside my head. But I have to say is that I enjoy books a lot more when I don't speed read. Books are all about the storytelling, which is like theatre, creating a setting, little by little as the lights come on and illuminate the different parta of the stage. Revealing to us the characters while the shadows hide things unbeknownst to us and villains hide in the wings.
I can imagine!

Quote:
But I do agree that speed reading could be quite beneficial as a mandatory course for students though you could only give them credit for participation and not actually grade them (how unfair would it be to punish someone with a low grade just for not having their brains like so, not to mention the torture such a course would be for anyone with dyslexia).
I agree. So useful. The time I wasted re-reading sentences when I was revising because I was reading so slow I got bored and started thinking about other things... Sigh. But the dyslexia... I think speed-reading can help there too. I did one speed-reading, mind-mapping and memory training course of a few days yeeears ago, and the instructor was actually dyslexic. He used to read about 75 wpm and decided he had to do something about it. So he taught himself to speed-read and finished his psychology degree reading books and books at >800 wpm with time to spare. Again it could differ per person, but if this speed-reading is trainable, it might be useful to the dyslexic as well.

Quote:
And just to pretend that I am not promulgating an off topic conversation...
Agh. I'm being horrible topic-wise to this thread. Perhaps I should make a new thread to accommodate this interesting conversation.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #183
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Actually the device, at least the KT, is first rate. . . . It's the firmware and whoever designs the interface that is 3rd rate. Personally I think the 1.9.17 firmware home screen is the best by far. It's a shame really the Kobo has s-o-o-o much potential, they really need a top notch UI designer. The UI should be intuitive, not the way it is now.
If this is really true, and Kobo is the most popular e-reader company in Canada, then why has no one developed custom firmware for their hardware? We have excellent CF on the pre-Android Sony readers. Is there a reason no one's developing CF for Kobo?

Picture a scenario in which we asked some coding MR veteran to try their hand. Imagine setting up a proposal on Kickstart to motivate them. With any luck, the custom firmware that might develop would attract other programmers as well, and prove so much better than stock that the Kobo rep who posts here would end up hiring the people who wrote and perfected it.

A pipe dream, perhaps, but no worse than the pipe itself.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #184
Big Mack
Enthusiast
Big Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of lightBig Mack is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPod Touch 4; iPhone 4; Kobo Touch; Kobo Glo
Hi folks,
longtime lurker, but just started posting...

just bought 2 Glo's (for my sister and me) and I have noticed how much faster it is than my KT (though it is still on FW 2.0.). The light is also nice, but would like it to go still dimmer. The one thing I like better on the KT, though, is the quilted backing. If Kobo ever makes the same sort of backing available later, I'll buy it.

I have had the spontaneous reboot issue 3 or 4 times since initializing it yesterday morning. In all instances, I was reading sideloaded epubs from an SD card. I usually use Calibre to handle these, but since I kept them all on the SD card in my Touch, figured I'd just eject the thing and transfer it to my Glo. Tonight, I may just hook it up in Calibre and wipe the card and reinstall all the epubs fresh while in my Glo.

The characteristics of my reboot issues (repost from another thread): often after turning on/off the light and turning the page immediately - i noticed the page was back a few pages after it returned to normal. And this morning, it froze after the reboot - for awhile i couldn't do anything, but i put it aside for about a half hour and then was able to shut it off - it was fine after i turned it back on (though, again, the reader was behind a few pages).

I figured I'd post details of the issues, since Sameer and other Kobo developers frequent this forum, it may help in identifying the issue.
Big Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #185
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfosterart View Post

If the Kindle Paperwhite was available here I would have got that instead though because so far I have found Amazon to have better book choice and cheaper. I have found the Kindle buying experience better than Kobo's.

The hardware is spot on though, like the rubber finish and no buttons.
You can still use Amazon if you use Calibre on your PC with some plugins from "apprentice alf" (Google this). Also, there are lots of other bookstores with great prices such as Booksonboard, diesel-ebooks, your public library (free!) etc.

Also you will find a very active thread on Mobileread about Kobo coupon codes in the Deals thread. You can use these codes virtually every time you buy a book unless it has agency pricing, in which case everyone, including amazon must sell at the same price.

Enjoy your Glo!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #186
Loafers
Alexic
Loafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricle View Post
Just picked up my Glo at Chapters today. So far so good. And I was able to load an Epub to it though it took me a bit to go through all the initial hoops. There's probably other ways to do this but here's what I had to do (and this seems to be the way suggested by Kobo according to their help).
- First I had to install Kobe Desktop and synch and update the Glo
- Then I had to install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Google for it.
- Then I had to login in to my Adobe ID. I had an Adobe ID already so I just used it.
- Then I had to Authorize my computer in ADE
- Then I had to Authorise my Glo in ADE
- Then I had to load my Epub in ADE
- Finally I used ADE to load the Epub to my Glo

Of course, now that all this is setup, it should be much more straightforward.

Hope this helps anybody else doing this for the first time.
wtf... you had to do all that JUST to read ePub?!

also, is ADE mandatory? i hate that shit...
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #187
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
ADE is mandatory for any side-loaded DRM'ed epubs. So far I only have to deal with it for library books. Thankfully, the first five steps above are one-time-only. From here on in, all you have to do is load the book into ADE and then use ADE to transfer it to the Kobo.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #188
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafers View Post
wtf... you had to do all that JUST to read ePub?!

also, is ADE mandatory? i hate that shit...
it's only if your epub is encrypted. If it's an unencrypted epub, you simply have to drag and drop it to the device.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #189
Loafers
Alexic
Loafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura aboutLoafers has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
it's only if your epub is encrypted. If it's an unencrypted epub, you simply have to drag and drop it to the device.
awesome. thanks for the quick response!
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #190
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Finished a couple books now, a few more comments:

- The light is great. Whether a supplement in dim lighting or reading in pitch black, it's great. Sometimes it looks very blue, often it just looks a little off white. I'm using it more than I thought I would.

- I've had absolutely no problems with crashes or hard resets. The only thing I have on my microSD card is CBZ files, no ePubs.

- I wish the English dictionary was a little more comprehensive. It seems like often if there's a word I'd like to look up, no definition is found.

- It'd be nice if the lowest brightness setting for the light was a little bit lower.

- I've been unable to download a ePub file from my Dropbox account. Can anyone give me a little tutorial?
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #191
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I wonder if we'll get a low battery warning now as well, instead of just telling you mid-read that "oops, you have to plug in, I don't care if you're on the train and can't charge, but you just can't read the next page!"
Nope, I can confirm it just dies with the "charge your reader" message, and it's a bit more disconcerting with the light on in a dark location, suddenly the light just goes out.

On the other hand I read almost 6 books on the partial charge with the light on continually, and left the thing turned on and lit with auto sleep & light off disabled for about 15 hours when I wasn't reading just to run it down to test.

So perhaps the 50 something hours reading with the light on is close, but even if it's not, I can plug it in every few days, not an issue.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #192
Auricle
Connoisseur
Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Finished a couple books now, a few more comments:

- I've been unable to download a ePub file from my Dropbox account. Can anyone give me a little tutorial?
Could you give some context here? Where did the ePub come from (the important thing to note is whether there is any DRM on the ePub)? Are you trying to do this directly/wirelessly to the Glo or using a PC or Mac?
Auricle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #193
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricle View Post
Could you give some context here? Where did the ePub come from (the important thing to note is whether there is any DRM on the ePub)? Are you trying to do this directly/wirelessly to the Glo or using a PC or Mac?
No DRM. It's an ePub generated by Instapaper. When I try to download it on the Glo, the browser just sits there doing nothing.

Edit: This is on the Glo's browser.

Last edited by buffaloseven; 10-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #194
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
  • I generally have the touch lock about once every other book or so (power off and back on always clears it), but so far no lock ups with the glo.
Should have "knocked on wood"
Reading a side loaded book on the glo last night and every 10 to 15 pages it was locking up, had to hold the power button till the light went out then turn it back on and each time I lost the position.

I find myself wondering if it has something to do with being charged, as at the time it was plugged in to charge, I'd read the first 2/3rds of the book with no lockups then ran out of power, after plugging in I starting getting the regular lockups and after about the fifth one I gave up for the night and went and watched the DVR'd first two episodes of Elementary (not bad).

This afternoon with it fully charged and unplugged I went back to about the point where I started having issues, and have now finished the book with no lockups at all, so tough to blame the epub.

Could using a "too powerful" charger cause this? We have the charger that came with the vox in a convenient location in the bedroom and that was what I plugged into, I know the vox wont charge properly with any of our chargers except that one, but could it cause issues with the glo?
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #195
trevormorse
Enthusiast
trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.trevormorse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Should have "knocked on wood"
Reading a side loaded book on the glo last night and every 10 to 15 pages it was locking up, had to hold the power button till the light went out then turn it back on and each time I lost the position.

I find myself wondering if it has something to do with being charged, as at the time it was plugged in to charge, I'd read the first 2/3rds of the book with no lockups then ran out of power, after plugging in I starting getting the regular lockups and after about the fifth one I gave up for the night and went and watched the DVR'd first two episodes of Elementary (not bad).

This afternoon with it fully charged and unplugged I went back to about the point where I started having issues, and have now finished the book with no lockups at all, so tough to blame the epub.

Could using a "too powerful" charger cause this? We have the charger that came with the vox in a convenient location in the bedroom and that was what I plugged into, I know the vox wont charge properly with any of our chargers except that one, but could it cause issues with the glo?
Interesting, the only time I experienced a lock-up or spontaneous reboot was while I was plugged in to power. In my case it was an old kindle keyboard charger we had lying around.

You may be on to something there...
trevormorse is offline   Reply With Quote