Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Glo and Mini have Browser?

Does anyone know if the Glo and Mini have a web browser?

Secondary issue - does calibre sync the Current Page in any way, so one could keep two Kobo devices on the same page, so to speak?
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If the Glo and Mini use the same base software as the Touch (which is highly likely) then yes... there will be a browser; mind you it is unsupported, so not all might work as expected. Calibre however has no support for it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Quote:
Calibre however has no support for it.
Eh? Are you saying that calibre won't load/unload books from the new Kobos?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Eh? Are you saying that calibre won't load/unload books from the new Kobos?
You can use the browser to "point" to the Calibre server and get the books wirelessly, I would think... Using the URL http://192.168.1.50:8080/browse [where the 192.168.1.50 is your own network's IPv4 Address and 8080 is the port the Calibre server is using as verified in preferences-sharing over the net].
Although I'm sure that books will be able to be transfered by usb to the new Kobo's as with other e-readers.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
EldRick
Evangelist

Thanks - I'm hoping you are correct.
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Glo and Mini have a web browser?

Secondary issue - does calibre sync the Current Page in any way, so one could keep two Kobo devices on the same page, so to speak?
Sorry.,... I thought that for some reason you were talking about syncing the Web browser current page!

While calibre will more than likely support the new models, I really doubt it will support syncing the current page in ePubs. Current support does include an option to sync. the annotations and % read of a book to calibre from the Touch; however, all that does it to add data to the Metadata stored within calibre on the % read; there is no support within calibre to go from calibre BACK to the reader with that info.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
EldRick
Evangelist

Quote:
...no support within calibre to go from calibre BACK to the reader with that info.
Pity - I was thinking of a Mini for going out to lunch, and a Glo for reading at home.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Pity - I was thinking of a Mini for going out to lunch, and a Glo for reading at home.
Kepub page sync will be fine between devices. I read them on the go for exactly that reason.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist

"Kepub page sync will be fine between devices."

Unfortunately, I can't find any clean way to convert to kepub, and I strongly prefer to buy books from Amazon.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

And I believe that even if you COULD create kEpub the only books that Kobo would sync are those kEpubs from Kobo themselves.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Is it possible with the kobo's to select and copy text then to go to evernote within the browser and paste the text in a note?
Looking for this capability for the glo for research.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am pretty sure you won't find that in any Kobo reader. FWIW, when I am using a book for serious work, I convert it to RTF using calibre and then can cut and paste into what I am working on with ease. i find a phrase to search on, open the rtf file and do the search. It works beautifully. oh, the Power Points...the lecture notes...the reviews...the blogs

I have never used Evernote with a Kobo reader. Not saying it isn't possible to open it, but, AFAIK, there isn't a copy function in the reader firmware.

Last edited by taming; 09-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote