Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Overdrive & PDF Library Books

I read library books via the Overdrive app on my Android phone, but I can't seem to figure out how to read the library books that come in PDF format. I just get an error indicating that they're not available for my mobile device. Next step--I download the ebooks to my computer, load them on my phone and try to open them with Aldiko. No luck--get an error implying that it's a DRM issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you using ADE to transfer them to Aldiko? That worked when I tested it months ago, however Aldiko isn't very useful for reading PDF's (unless they've changed something).

Have you activated/registered Aldiko with your Adobe ID?

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-13-2011 at 11:37 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
You'll need the "official" Adobe Reader for those. Does it even exist for your mobile?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
You'll need the "official" Adobe Reader for those. Does it even exist for your mobile?
Aldiko uses the Adobe RMSDK which allows it to work with both "standard" ID based DRM (like Overdrive uses) and Password based (like B&N uses). Adobe doesn't make any of their own ADE type apps.

There are two ways I know of to transfer the DRM'd books to Aldiko. The first, as described above, is to hook your device up via USB and it will appear in ADE so you can drag & drop your books.

The other way is described on the Aldiko website...
Quote:

You can use the Aldiko Book Reader to read eBooks borrowed from public libraries. To do so,

(1) Go to your local public library’s website on your computer, select any eBook in Adobe ePub or Adobe PDF format, check out and then download the eBooks files. Normally, libraries will offer you an acsm file for each eBook.

(2) Put the acsm file in the SD card of your device.

(3) Download and install a file manager app (e.g. ASTRO) from the Android market. Use the file manager app to locate the acsm file.

(4) Tap on the acsm file in the file manager app. If you have verified your device with an Adobe ID already, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko. If you haven’t verified your device with an Adobe ID before before, you should see a pop-up window which asks you to authorize your device with an Adobe ID. After authorization, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko.
http://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/37...blic-libraries

All that said Aldiko doesn't reflow nor allow zooming of PDF files so is often not great for viewing them (unless there's been an update since Feb. when I tested it).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Ha! Maybe that's it. I'm just transferring the files--not via ADE. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert