Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
jeh35
jeh35 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Kindle Dictionary

I loaded the Kindle app to my iPhone several months ago and bought an ebook the same day. Either loading the app or buying the book (I can't tell which) triggered loading of the American dictionary. The dictionary appeared on the app home page and I've found it very useful indeed.

Yesterday, when I opend the app after not using it for a couple of weeks, I got a message saying that the dictionary was no longer visible on the home page but that it could still be used by highlighting a word in whatever ebook I was reading. That's true, it does work, but that would only be about 10% of my usage of the disctionary.

Two things have happened since the last time I used the dictionary on the iPhone :
1. I loaded a Kindle reader to my laptop and bought one book for it.
2. Amazon have released, and I've loaded, an update to the iPhone app.

Can anyone suggest why the dictionary might have vanished from the accessible area when it is still obviously present in the iPhone? It seems likely that the loss of direct access is related to either(1) or (2) above. I've lost access to a rather valuable resource.

TIA

John
jeh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Yes, it was the latest update that did it. For some reason they decided to remove this feature of a separate dictionary.

Options to get around this would be that you could still browse or search the dictionary, but in an awkward fashion, by looking up a word in a book and then going to the dictionary from there; or you could buy another dictionary that is not tied to the lookup feature. I found this one for $5.00 that looks pretty good. It has 150,000 words.

Wordnet 3

http://www.amazon.com/WordNet-larges...4798902&sr=1-1

There are a few others in the dictionary section. Make sure the one you pick is compatible with the Kindle for iPOD, though, as some of them are not.

FYI - I read the reviews before installing updates to see if there are any bugs/problems or removal of features, such as this.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
jeh35
jeh35 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thanks Nightbird. I often read Release Notes first (if I can find them!) but was in a hurry when the Kindle update came through and just accepted it. Have you, or anyone else, seen an explanation from Amazon decided to remove the dictionary from easy access?
jeh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Yw. No, I haven't seen anything mentioned by Amazon themselves about this. I only learned about it from the reviews by people who had downloaded. I find it very puzzling and disappointing that they would do this.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert