Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
add an mdash or ndash in book view

is it possible, in sigil book view, to type in an mdash or ndash - I can copy / paste one from elsewhere on a page , but if the open current file does not already have one then I am stuck ..
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
is it possible, in sigil book view, to type in an mdash or ndash - I can copy / paste one from elsewhere on a page , but if the open current file does not already have one then I am stuck ..
I'm not sure if ths is what you are looking for, but this chm file has all printable characters in all formats.

I put it together for just your reasons.
Attached Files
File Type: rar eBook Char Codes.rar (12.6 KB, 259 views)
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
is it possible, in sigil book view, to type in an mdash or ndash
What OS are you using??

If, by chance, you are using Windows you can enter the characters by pressing and holding the ALT key and then typing 0151 for an em dash or 0150 for an en dash and then releasing the ALT key.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
What OS are you using??

If, by chance, you are using Windows you can enter the characters by pressing and holding the ALT key and then typing 0151 for an em dash or 0150 for an en dash and then releasing the ALT key.
windows — hey it worked - its a lot of numbers to remember but if I make a sticky...
Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I'm not sure if ths is what you are looking for, but this chm file has all printable characters in all formats.

thanks - any easy way to format & print that as a 1 page crib sheet ?
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
thanks - any easy way to format & print that as a 1 page crib sheet ?
I've never tried to print it. I'ts just an html file. I put it on the win desktop and find, copy, and paste as needed but 0151 s burned into my memory.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post

It would be nice to see which character will display on the various devices and which will give a questionmark. All with the default fonts of course.

How about creating a test-epub so we can all check on our devices?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
A couple of things to know: this alt-#### trick works only if you use the numeric keypad, not the number keys on the top row of your keyboard (at least on most systems). Also, 0150 is sometimes taken as a non-breaking hyphen.

Here are a few more from my crib sheet. I have a more complete table I can convert to ePub and will try to place here this evening.

0128 - €
0160 - non-breaking space
0149 - •
0150 - en dash (or non-breaking hyphen)
0151 - em dash
0153 - ™
0169 - ©
0174 - ®
0145 - left single quote
0146 - right single quote / apostrophe
0147 - left double quote
0148 - right double quote
0162 - ¢
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

it would also be good to have shortcuts / clickable icons in a future version of sigil for inserting the most used ones into books. I guess those would be the quotes & dashes ?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
it would also be good to have shortcuts / clickable icons in a future version of sigil for inserting the most used ones into books. I guess those would be the quotes & dashes ?
I asked (on the tracker), Valloric did not seem to be interested. Given the lack of user 'consensus' on how something should be done: 'But my xyz character is not there', he smartly left the lid on the Worm Can
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You surely have a "character map" application in your operating system.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You surely have a "character map" application in your operating system.
Yup!
It is just a Pita to use,
when a few frequently used (mdash, ndash, R+L curly quotes) (probably should be renationalized ) could be one click away
I tend to use my handy-dandy 'entity' chart
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
I have a more complete table I can convert to ePub and will try to place here this evening.
Ummmm, make that tomorrow evening.

And, yes, this is seriously ugly, but it serves the purpose. I declared the font as Courier, which makes it a little less ugly, but still....

You may want to play with fonts anyway. Fixed-width is strongly recommended.
Attached Files
File Type: epub SpecialCharacters.epub (2.5 KB, 262 views)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

OK, that didn't take long. I just realized that, in the above edition, I left out the leading zero on each number.

Try this version.
Attached Files
File Type: epub SpecialCharacters.epub (2.5 KB, 252 views)
Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
OK, that didn't take long. I just realized that, in the above edition, I left out the leading zero on each number.

Try this version.
Great table.

It should be noted that a few of the character spaces are blank. Also, FWIW, it converts to MOBI fine.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote