Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2015, 05:20 AM   #271
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
The T1 is also very picky on "correct" epubs. Even very long paragraphs might sometimes let it lose its direction. Re-opening the ebook, turning off-on can correct this most of the time. The T2 & T3 seem to be more robust on these matters. Still the T1 is my primary reading device.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #272
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I liked my T1 enought to give one to each of my sistes and they also are still using them. T1 is not perfect but in some waysbetter than my Kobo readers. Now mostly using Kobo Mini liking how 5 inch screen reader fits in shirt pocket without cover.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #273
lizzielou
Connoisseur
lizzielou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, 300, 350 & 650
I really love my PRS-505 which I have had for years without problems and am not persuaded to buy a newer Kindle or Kobo. I even have a couple of spare ones tucked away in case it ever breaks. I read books in lrf format which I generate using BookDesigner as I think these look better on the reader than the epub files.
lizzielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #274
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzielou View Post
I really love my PRS-505 which I have had for years without problems and am not persuaded to buy a newer Kindle or Kobo. I even have a couple of spare ones tucked away in case it ever breaks. I read books in lrf format which I generate using BookDesigner as I think these look better on the reader than the epub files.
LRF looks terrible and if you go to embed fonts to make LRF look not terrible, it then becomes slow. The reason LRF i terrible is because the font isn't all that good and it doesn't have true italics and the simulated italics don't work well. ePub on a 505 is better because you can embed fonts without a noticeable slowdown.

But a Kobo compared to the 505 is no comparison. The 505 has an older version of RMDSK (ADE) and tends to be more finicky. Also the version of RMDSK on the 505 is so old, all you can have is left justify. With a Kobo, you can choose your font & adjust the weight (patched). You get kenning, ligatures, & hyphenation. The screen on the H2O & Glo HD is much nicer than the 505. You don't get a flash on every page turn. You can swipe or tap to change pages. With a Kobo, you get many more font sizes. The 505 had a problem of sometimes the font size is too small and the next up is too large. I cannot see anything with the 505' reading software that's better than RMDSK on the Kobo.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #275
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Glad you are still happy/content with your PRS505. I am a ereader junkie and have many devices but I still very much like reading on my PRS505.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #276
astrolux
astrolux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 6, Kindle Eink 4, PRS500, PRS300, Kobo Touch
I have a 500, old firmware, still use it to this day. I just use it via XP virtual OS, and then convert any files (epub/mobi) to LRF and put them on my 500, works great, its built like a tank. I do love my PW, and Kindle Glare free 6', but they do not feel "tough". I also have a sony prs-300 pocket edition; I bring that to work a lot, just cause its sturdy and is very compact. Sony had the best e-readers IMO. I am a huge amazon fan, but I really wish Sony would have stayed in the US e-reader market. I really want a new one, but people on ebay charge way too much for the newer models.
astrolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #277
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
I still love my 505 too, even if I don't use it much these days. The construction was great and the integrated cover was much nicer than most modern ones.

Unlike you, I switched to epubs from LRF but I agree that LRFs could look better. I never got used to the standard font used for epub display; it was too condensed for my taste. Always hated the spinny loading wheel on LRF books I made myself though
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #278
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
LRF looks terrible and if you go to embed fonts to make LRF look not terrible, it then becomes slow. The reason LRF i terrible is because the font isn't all that good and it doesn't have true italics and the simulated italics don't work well. ePub on a 505 is better because you can embed fonts without a noticeable slowdown.
It's been a long time since I did it, but I am fairly certain that you can replace the default fonts used by the LRF renderer as long as you use the name of an existing font.

Embedding fonts in epub isn't a great solution in my opinion since it inflates the size of every book you load (unless you do the thing where you point to some font files in the reader's file system instead of within the epub itself; but that semi-breaks the epub for use elsewhere).
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:31 AM   #279
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The PRS 950 is arguably the best Sony ereader. Too bad, it faces its demise when the battery wears out.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #280
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I just bought a T2 and T3, both with cases for $50 each. Beautiful readers, both immaculate. It's a real shame they'll be no more, but I'll be okay for 2-3 years

I do think the T2 is nicer than the T1. The T3 seems very comparable to the T2, though apparently the screen-def is higher, but I can't see a difference.

I also think these old pre-frontlight pearl screens are clearer to the newer lighted and Carta screens. And they flick between pages quicker.

Newer is not always better. Indeed, it seems to more and more the case.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-31-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #281
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
The PRS 950 is arguably the best Sony ereader. Too bad, it faces its demise when the battery wears out.
Sony made some of the most asthetically pleasing readers. They were beautiful to look at. Especially considering what the first kindle looked like.

I did manage to change the battery on my PRS-505. Twice. It wasn't easy though. If you know someone who is good with electronics, there is hope. Search for "prs-950 battery" on eBay. Only try as a last resort, because it is possible to break the reader trying to change the battery.

Last edited by Angst; 04-03-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #282
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I wasn't in the mood for any of the books I'm reading, so I decided to crank up my 950, which has a somewhat different library. Oh, it's so nice to hold! It's sleek and balanced and my left thumb curls around perfectly to rest on the page turn button. Tapping to turn the page on my H2O isn't nearly so comfortable.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #283
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
No question, the Sony PRS 950 is among the best, if not THE best, ereaders. I only wish the battery was replaceable in my two 950s.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #284
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Hehe, on a whim, I pulled my PRS 650 out of storage and fired it up. These days, I'm usually reading on my iPads or my iPhone, and usually with Kindle apps because they just...work. However, once in a while I do end up purchasing an ebook from Kobo. Honestly, the Kobo apps on i-thingies don't always behave well.

I have the Sony Reader Library software on my netbook. I logged into Kobo and updated the Library. Honestly, it's been so long since I've connected the 650 to a computer that I had forgotten how to load books to it. But with a bit of looking around, I found the sync function and that's what's going on now. Seems to be taking a while...

The last time I used the 650 was on a camping trip. It really is much nicer to read outside than my iPads, although the phone with its anti-glare screen is not too shabby.

I've always liked the look and feel of the PRS 650. I have a black leather cover with a light for it as well. The 650 was my first e-reader. I remember the early days of e-reading, how happy I was to be able to borrow a library book online and load it onto my e-reader, all of this during a snowstorm and without having to leave my cozy house. I think its major drawback was its lack of wireless connectivity, but it was nice for a first reader. I suspect the battery isn't up to par, doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as it should. I found a seller on Amazon that sells replacements along with a kit and instructions. Those of you who have 950's...might be worth a look, maybe there's something for you as well.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #285
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
There's been a boatload of Sonys at my local Goodwill in the last year or so, pick them up for 10-20 bucks each and give them to friends. Probably because the Sony Store closed and their owners couldn't figure out sideloading.

Sony beats Kindle on format, and has better build than Nooks. Although my hacked NST works better than my hacked T1 for Android.

Just got the crown jewel last week--a 950, with the Sony lighted case, for 20 bucks.
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote