Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #166
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember portions of the code is licensed from (among others) Adobe.

I doubt their license allows any form of open sourcing
Another factor is DRM. We may not like DRM, Kobo may or may not like DRM, but the publishers seem to love it. DRM is kinda hard to enforce when someone can modify the code to circumvent it, modify the code to dump encryption keys to disk, etc..

Besides, the quality of the software depends mostly upon the people maintaining it. Open source software does well when there is strong leadership and talented developers. Proprietary software does well when there is strong leadership and talented developers. Because of this, we see excellent software on both sides of the fence. In other words, don't expect open source to be some sort of pancea.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #167
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Considering Kobo's inability or lack of interest in resolving long standing issues(I'm not sure which would upset me most?), one might imagine they'd be glad for all the FREE third party support they could get... but then we have to live in the real world where some kids will simply take their baseball home with them unless you play by their rules.

I also imagine the possibility of someone popping up looking for money later would destroy their ability to fold any advances back into their product and the lawyers and management would likely no doubt deficate a collective three dimensional orthotopic clay based building material.(swearing is OK as long as you make the kids learn something while they're trying to figure it out.)
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #168
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
koreader-v2013.03-273-g01d0425.zip is missing koreader_kobo.sh.

Is there any chance of getting KOReader to work with Kobo Launcher?
I find the change in the KoboLauncher ini file to launch KOReader directly from there too dangerous, I ran a few times into the problem of KOReader starting directly from there after a reboot with no chance to connect to USB anymore, so I had to open the device to rewrite the internal SD card. Would be much better if I had one more step where I had to confirm that I really want to run KOReader to prevent this...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #169
cgm999
Enthusiast
cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.

Device: kobo
WS64: getting koreader to work with nickel/KoboLauncher is not a easy task. From what it seems once the fb is rotated and then re-rotated back as nickel wants it , is not working properly.

but You can try run it maybe from telnet/ssh ? I wonder why you had those issues , maybe we should add a sync before running koreader ?
cgm999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #170
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktv View Post
Now koreader in kobo aura hd can't support djvu files.Once open a djvu file,it will reboot.
What do you mean with "now"? is it just the last archive I've
uploaded?

Quote:
koreader-v2013.03-273-g01d0425.zip is missing koreader_kobo.sh.
Sorry, I forgot to include it. Please take it from koreader_old.zip until a new version is released!
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #171
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm999 View Post
WS64: getting koreader to work with nickel/KoboLauncher is not a easy task. From what it seems once the fb is rotated and then re-rotated back as nickel wants it , is not working properly.

but You can try run it maybe from telnet/ssh ? I wonder why you had those issues , maybe we should add a sync before running koreader ?
I don't know how to get telnet/ssh to work.
I did it long ago with 1.9.something firmware, but it was too complicated to create new TGZ files with changed files from my Windows system, is there an easier way to enable this today?

One way that I could repeat the automatic-load-issue was to do some changes on the PNG file after all was running already. Still a change there does not explain why it would automatically load that file after a reboot.

I am not sure what you mean with "sync before running koreader"...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #172
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I don't know how to get telnet/ssh to work.
I did it long ago with 1.9.something firmware, but it was too complicated to create new TGZ files with changed files from my Windows system, is there an easier way to enable this today?

One way that I could repeat the automatic-load-issue was to do some changes on the PNG file after all was running already. Still a change there does not explain why it would automatically load that file after a reboot.

I am not sure what you mean with "sync before running koreader"...
Do you have the problem of automatic koreader launching also with the original launcher, after modifying the script? I think it is not possible... I'd just avoid xor_'s launcher for the time being. I am trying to port Tweaks to 2.6.1 but still I can't compile qt.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #173
cgm999
Enthusiast
cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.

WS64: I used KoboLauncher which include ssh (usbnet starts that),just that on my AuraHD I had to load the proper .ko modules :

[root@KOBO_AURAHD usbnet]# cat /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/usbnet/start.sh
#!/bin/sh

root=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/usbnet

insmod /drivers/ntx508/usb/gadget/arcotg_udc.ko
insmod /drivers/ntx508/usb/gadget/g_ether.ko

#insmod $root/arcotg_udc.ko
#insmod $root/g_ether.ko

ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.101
touch /var/log/lastlog
$root/dropbear -p 2 -E -r $root/host.key.rsa -d $root/host.key.dss

. This days I also have 2 launchers,one that looks for /mnt/onboard/launcher.png and one that looks for /mnt/onboard/koreader.png , and for launcher.png I execute the KoboLauncher, and for koreader.png I do koreader.sh

Both started from the same script that KoboLauncher set:

[root@KOBO_AURAHD init.d]# cat /etc/init.d/on-animator.sh
#!/bin/sh

PRODUCT=`/bin/kobo_config.sh`;
[ $PRODUCT != trilogy ] && PREFIX=$PRODUCT-

i=0;
flag=0;
while true; do
i=$((((i + 1)) % 11));
zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\on-$i.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic 1;
usleep 250000;
if [ $flag -eq 0 ]; then
if [ -e /mnt/onboard/launcher.png ]; then
/usr/bin/launcher &
/usr/bin/launcher-kr &
flag=1;
fi
fi
done

giorgio130: do you know if there is a method thats called when menus are hidden? I would like to set the fullpage refresh while I read books but when one of the menu shows up to set that to 6 then back to 1 when those go away.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #174
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
Do you have the problem of automatic koreader launching also with the original launcher, after modifying the script? I think it is not possible... I'd just avoid xor_'s launcher for the time being. I am trying to port Tweaks to 2.6.1 but still I can't compile qt.
I had the problems with automatic koreader launching with a second PNG file.

But even when I installed it completely new today, just new installation of KoboLauncher and KOReader I made a mistake with the Launcher, I think I installed the TGZ file withut the PNG, and when I add the PNG later my Kobo booted into KoboLauncher. If I had the ini file modified at that point with booting directly into KOReader I had run into that issue again.

I think it just happens when you touch the PNG file after the corresponding TGZ file was installed.

What I still don't understand with the KoboLauncher/KOReader incompatibility, why does it render the KOReader screen correct first and just messes everything up once you touch the screen?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #175
ktv
ktv began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
What do you mean with "now"? is it just the last archive I've
uploaded?

Sorry, I forgot to include it. Please take it from koreader_old.zip until a new version is released!
I only try your first archive which does not support djvu format.
ktv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #176
WS64

Quote:
WS64: I used KoboLauncher which include ssh (usbnet starts that),just that on my AuraHD I had to load the proper .ko modules
I'll get an IP conflict on 192.168.2.101 that way on my computer, have to try later at home once more.
But, how does that help? Once I boot into KOReader I can't start USBNET, or should I modify my KOReader start script to first start USBNET and then KOREADER to make sure USBNET is up before KOReader is running?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #177
cgm999
Enthusiast

I assumed you want to debug starting korader from ssh to see if is doing any errors.
yes start usbnet before that.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #178
WS64

Quote:
I assumed you want to debug starting korader from ssh to see if is doing any errors.
yes start usbnet before that.
My idea was more to be able to access the filesystem of the Kobo to do some changes to the KoboLauncher start file after KOReader started, that way I could hopefully avoid to get stuck in KOReader.
But I have to get USBNET working for that first, will try that later on my computer at home.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #179
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If you look at Giorgio's last updates at GitHub Koreader there is a new koreader_kobo.sh.

Luck;
Ken

------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

# we're always starting from our working directory
cd /mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader/

# export trained OCR data directory
export TESSDATA_PREFIX="data"

# export dict directory
export STARDICT_DATA_DIR="data/dict"

# stop nickel
killall nickel

# finally call reader
./reader.lua "$1" 2> crash.log

# continue with nickel
reboot
------------------------------------------------

My guess is that this is what he intended to go with the other changes he made.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-11-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #180
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
WS64: I used KoboLauncher which include ssh (usbnet starts that),just that on my AuraHD I had to load the proper .ko modules :

[root@KOBO_AURAHD usbnet]# cat /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/usbnet/start.sh
#!/bin/sh

root=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/usbnet

insmod /drivers/ntx508/usb/gadget/arcotg_udc.ko
insmod /drivers/ntx508/usb/gadget/g_ether.ko

#insmod $root/arcotg_udc.ko
#insmod $root/g_ether.ko

ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.101
touch /var/log/lastlog
$root/dropbear -p 2 -E -r $root/host.key.rsa -d $root/host.key.dss

. This days I also have 2 launchers,one that looks for /mnt/onboard/launcher.png and one that looks for /mnt/onboard/koreader.png , and for launcher.png I execute the KoboLauncher, and for koreader.png I do koreader.sh

Both started from the same script that KoboLauncher set:

[root@KOBO_AURAHD init.d]# cat /etc/init.d/on-animator.sh
#!/bin/sh

PRODUCT=`/bin/kobo_config.sh`;
[ $PRODUCT != trilogy ] && PREFIX=$PRODUCT-

i=0;
flag=0;
while true; do
i=$((((i + 1)) % 11));
zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\on-$i.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic 1;
usleep 250000;
if [ $flag -eq 0 ]; then
if [ -e /mnt/onboard/launcher.png ]; then
/usr/bin/launcher &
/usr/bin/launcher-kr &
flag=1;
fi
fi
done

giorgio130: do you know if there is a method thats called when menus are hidden? I would like to set the fullpage refresh while I read books but when one of the menu shows up to set that to 6 then back to 1 when those go away.
Hmm... I just replaced the original version of those files with the ntx508 versions, and my PC recognized the USBNet and loaded the drivers. I can Ping the Aura, but haven't tried Putty or WinSCP, yet.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote