Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Kindle Paperwhite Screen *possible* fix

Hi. This is not a thread where I am complaining about the screen though I wanted to start one just 30 minutes ago.

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite 2 hours ago and when i turned it on, it had pinkish glow on the top and the sides. I freaked out because after reading all the topics here I was worried.

I was on the verge of calling for a replacement when I remembered to try something else first. I hard reset it twice. It worked. The pinkish glow is relatively gone and now is it amazing.

I was also reluctant to order a replacement because I read on a topic from this forum that Amazon sends refurbished items.

Now I'm so damn happy.

Point: Try hard reset before you will ask for a replacement.

Pictures after hard rest:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	102689   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	102690   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	102691  
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is absolutely no way that a hard reset is going to change the screen colouration - that's a property of the geometry of the light diffuser.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what I thought but this guy from CS implied that it is possible and for me it actually worked. I am just saying and I might be wrong but you could try.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Speaking as a physicist, I can see no possible way that a reset could have the slightest effect on the screen. Colours on the screen are caused by the two faces of the light diffuser not being precisely parallel to one another - ie, it's a purely physical effect; nothing to do with the firmware of the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
AlexGrama
Writer

I absolutely understand, Harry but I think it's a long shot to think that it might have been a coincidence.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Perception of colors is product of the transmitted waves and the INTREPETATION by the brain of the signals received by the eyes and sent by the nerves.

Thus, if you are satisfied, keep the unit. One person's garbage is another person's gem.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I absolutely understand, Harry but I think it's a long shot to think that it might have been a coincidence.

All of your three photos, that you use as examples, are at different light settings by the way.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

The power of suggestion or the placebo effect, IMO.

At any rate that screen looks fairly good compared to the screens I got with my three PWs. Mine all had a lot of smudging, for lack of a better term, where large shadow blobs made the text look like an old newspaper where the ink had been smudged by one's fingers. I see a tiny bit of smudging on yours, but it isn't bad. If you like that screen, and I think it looks good myself, you should keep it. But be aware that others have seen the smudging and color blobs come and go to varying degrees.