Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #136
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Thanks, mdclements. If it's not asking too much, do you know which portuguese dictionary was selected to be included?
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #137
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
The pic of the Kobo is probably the best representation of what the screen looks like in person. You can see the weird light shadow there at the bottom that's very much the same as the one in the Kindle PW pic you linked.
The Kindle PW pics look more like individual headlights than the Kobo, would you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
The screen feel is definitely different to the Touch and the Sony offerings.

It feels like parchment to the touch. Is it better/worse than the others? Neither, it's just different imho.
I've seen some mention of that for the Kindle PW too, possibly down to the light guide as it's the top layer. No one is saying they don't like it, just as you say, it's different.

So far the only major difference between the Glo and the Kindle PW seems to be that Amazon have more quality control issues than Kobo.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #138
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One thing that is not clear is that the Kindle is announced to last 8 weeks with the light on at a rate of 30 minutes of reading daily, whereas the Kobo Glo is said to last 56 hours with glow on as if this was less than the Kindle. But if you do the math, 8 weeks @30 minutes daily is 28 hours of use, which makes the Kobo Glo last twice on a battery charge using the light ....
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #139
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Common sense (at least to me) suggests continuous light (which was how the 56 hour figure was given) and usage for 30 minutes over an extended period of time are two very different things. 56 hours as measured by Kobo won't equal 4 months usage as measured by Amazon. I'd bet they both have very similar battery life.

Edit: In fact, from the Kobo Glo experience page, it states - "a single charge on the Kobo Glo lasts up to a month so you can read as long as you want"
Considering that's what the Kindle used to say before they changed from the 1 hour per day to 30 mins per day (to match up with the Nook), I'd say that pretty much confirms it.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 10-04-2012 at 01:07 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #140
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
This will be available soon.
What dictionary?

Portuguese-Portuguese? or English-Portuguese...

or perhaps both
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #141
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
What dictionary?

or perhaps both
Both.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #142
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Lordy, how fast do you read? I can't believe you've already read through 2 and 2/3 books!
Very.

Usually 3-4 hours for an average sized book (ereaders have slowed me down a little bit as there is less on the page at one time)
And authors that use multiple character names that are almost identical, or make up a lot of words slow me down.

Even with the ereader slowing me down, they are far more convenient for travel, I always had to carry at least 3 books for a longish flight, never mind the number of book I'd take with me on a two week "lay on the beach and read" vacation.

And I think the glo will be better as well, finding a well lit & comfortable spot in some terminals to wait out a delay is almost impossible.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #143
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I wonder if we'll get a low battery warning now as well, instead of just telling you mid-read that "oops, you have to plug in, I don't care if you're on the train and can't charge, but you just can't read the next page!"
Good question, that one's always bugged me too, actually had to find a nice long microusb cable so I could continue reading while charging.

GF carries an external battery thingy in her bag that has a usb port so she can plug in either her Kobo or her Cell phone if either runs out of juice while she's out and about (of course you need to remember to charge it as well...)

Last edited by XrXca; 10-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #144
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Very.

Usually 3-4 hours for an average sized book
Maaaaaan!! How do you do it? Can you teach me? My slow reading drives me crazy. I keep "reading out loud in my head," which is just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Good question, that one's always bugged me too, actually had to find a nice long microusb cable so I could continue reading while charging.

GF carries an external battery thingy in her bag that has a usb port so she can plug in either her Kobo or her Cell phone if either runs out of juice while she's out and about (of course you need to remember to charge it as well...)
Yep, me too for both! Only the USB charger doesn't help when I'm on the train.

EDIT: Ah I might have misinterpreted what exactly it is that your gf carries with her. In my case, it's a USB cable with multiple plug things attached (micro, mini, and iPhone plugs) so I can charge when I find a computer or something with USB socket.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #145
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
On the kobo glo, can you delay the time before it goes to blank/standby when it's on and there's been no activity?

Sometimes, like when reading while eating or cooking, you need to be able to stay on a single page for a long time, without interacting with the device(greasy fingers?). You don't want it to go into standby/blank after just 15mins(yeah, good luck turning it on again with not-so-clean hands).

Is that possible?

Last edited by sombreastre; 10-04-2012 at 03:03 PM.
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #146
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
On the kobo glo, can you delay the time before it goes to blank/standby when it's on and there's been no activity?

Sometimes, like when reading while eating or cooking, you need to be able to stay on a single page for a long time, without interacting with the device(greasy fingers?). You don't want it to go into standby/blank after just 15mins(yeah, good luck turning it on again with not-so-clean hands).

Is that possible?
I doubt that would be any different to the Touch. And if it is indeed the same, you'll be able to choose between 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes and never.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #147
sombreastre
Enthusiast
sombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheesesombreastre can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4 | kobo glo(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I doubt that would be any different to the Touch. And if it is indeed the same, you'll be able to choose between 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes and never.
Perfect! thanks a lot! (kindle doesn't have that, such a bother)
sombreastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #148
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Both.
Wooow!.

Do you know when you start selling this kobo glo in Spain?

I Imagine it incluided dictionary esp-esp. It´s certainly?

Is very important for me
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #149
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombreastre View Post
Perfect! thanks a lot! (kindle doesn't have that, such a bother)
Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #150
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
What dictionary?

or perhaps both
Both.
Are you planning the same development for Spanish-Spanish dictionary?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote