Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #121
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Just checked - no Reflow option, just rotation. It's the software now- not a hardware limitation. Only the Sony PRS series ever had that option.
Actually one of the very common cheapies - sold as Hanlin/Astak/BeBook, has reflow. Works really well on normal books. I had an Astak, and so I have missed that feature ever since buying the Kobo Touch. Since the software is essentially the same on the Glo and the Touch, I guess I was just being optimistic that they may have thrown it in .
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #122
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
First impressions of the Glo vs the Touch

I am one of the beta testers so i have been running 2.1.4 for a few days on the Touch. I can't swear that it is exactly the same as the version that will be released, but it is probably darn close. I got my Glo this afternoon. Here are a few of my first impressions.

I chose to do the update over USB. It went smoothly. My PC loaded the driver without issue, but it said it was a Touch. I was prompted to download a new version of the desktop. It doesn't seem all that different to me as an end user, but the Kobo logo has changed a bit. I downloaded 47 kepubs in 13 minutes. I think that is a bit faster than I had seen before.

When I ejected, the Kobo processed the firmware update. It does that in two parts. The first part happens and then almost immediately, after you briefly see the home screen, part 2 begins. When both are over, you are good to go.

You would think the first thing I would try would be the light, but it was not. Touch devices have notoriously NOT liked some SD cards. I inserted an Adata class 10 16 GB card that made my Touch act like a person with ADHD and it was great--worked just fine with it.

BIG EDIT: OK, nothing here to see. I managed to bork my Db doing stuff that was simply stooooopid and then thought I had found bad SD card handling on the Glo. It was actually bad Glo handling by my noodled brain and over eager hands. Nothing that couldn't be easily fixed.

The calibre kobo driver hasn't been updated yet, so I will transfer books to the Glo using drag and drop or the web browser and calibre server for now.

I then tried the light. I like the degree of adjustability of the light. i am not a fan of very bright screens, so a setting of 50% looked great to me in my well lit office. I may make a different decision when i read in the dark room tonight. With the light off, the grey seems a bit more yellowish on the Glo than on the Touch but it is not a difference I noticed until I put them side-by-side.

The higher resolution screen on the Glo makes a difference in terms of clarity. It seems like there is less ghosting and I could go more than 6 pages before a refresh if that were an option.

I turned the black bar off--and chose clear instead. There is a narrow shadow at the bottom of the screen, but it does not bother me. I imagine it will not bother most folks, but we are all different when it comes to things like that.

The more powerful processor makes a big difference. It was especially noticeable when I was in "books' in the library and found I did not have to wait for the covers to appear. The screen is responsive to very light touches. I have not had to double tap at all. Of course I have not read very much on the device yet, but it an excellent beginning.

I specified English as my language. Bunches of dictionaries and translation proggies downloaded. I added Spanish. With Wifi on, it just download. With Wifi off, the new choices download the next time you turn it on and initiate a sync.

The Glo comes with 11 fonts, 7 of which can be fine tuned. The 11 are: Document default (cannot be fine tuned) then Amasis, Avenir, Caecilia, Georgia, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel and Malabar, which an be adjusted for weight etc. The three remaining fonts are Gothic MB 101, Ryumin, and OpenDyslexic. These cannot be fine tuned. OpenDyslexic will look odd to most of us, but if you have dyslexia, you will be amazed by what a difference a font like that can make (mom of a dyslexic son here). Kudos to Kobo for including it.

Touch users will recognize that several of these are new and having 7 adjustable ones is more than we are used to.

I'll probably have more to say later, but my initial impression is that this is a big step forward and a remarkably unbuggy build.

Last edited by taming; 10-04-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: BIG Edit for SD card experieince
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #123
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Interesting. I had just read about the Open Dyslexic font and was thinking of trying it on the Touch. Jusgt need to wait and see if it is included on the touch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #124
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
The screen feel is definitely different to the Touch and the Sony offerings.

It feels like parchment to the touch. Is it better/worse than the others? Neither, it's just different imho.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #125
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
Thoughts so far. 2 2/3 books read so far.
Kobo Glo fw 2.1.4
  • There is a bit of weirdness as far as the wireless status display goes, it occasionally isn't displayed at all even though the wireless is on (haven't been able to duplicate the steps to get to that point yet)
This actually is the same as it was with the Touch. When WIFI is ON and ACTIVE you'll get the wifi symbol. If it's ON and "sleeping" you'll get no symbol and if you have it turned OFF you'll get the greyed bars with a little x in the upper right to show that it is turned off.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #126
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Kobo Glo fw 2.1.4
  • Screen does have a different feel, not bad, just not as smooth as the touch, closer to real paper.
  • Sensitivity seems a bit different from the touch, I have to be a bit more definite (touch the page a bit longer) with the glo.
  • I generally have the touch lock about once every other book or so (power off and back on always clears it), but so far no lock ups with the glo.
  • Light. GREAT, this is the one thing I've been missing on the touch, your not always in a well lit location, the light is very uniform with only a bit of shadow at the bottom, and the very top edge seems a bit brighter. (If you leave the bottom bar set to black in the settings, you may not notice the shadows).
  • No Calibre support (yet, they are saying Fridays release should at least recognize it)
    And using the Connect to folder option in Calibre worked just fine.
  • SD support worked well for me, but then I rarely had issues with the touch, and I rarely have more than 25 or so books on it at any one time.
  • No home button seems odd, but one can certainly get used to the home icon on the top left.
  • I know it's an Extra, but I wish the web browser was a) a bit faster responding, and b) had progress bars for downloading books (I have most my books on a calibre server.)
  • There is a bit of weirdness as far as the wireless status display goes, it occasionally isn't displayed at all even though the wireless is on (haven't been able to duplicate the steps to get to that point yet)
  • Wireless setup, finally (well I don't know if it was added to the touch in recent versions) but you don't HAVE to have a windows PC to set the thing up the first time.
  • Battery life, who knows. I've read 2 1/2 book so far with the light on for 90% of that and WiFi enabled for some of it along with quite a bit of playing with settings etc, and am down to 67%, now I don't know if was fully charged when I finished the setup, it had 85% when it arrived and I plugged it in to do the setup then unplugged it as soon as the firmware update was done and finished the setup unplugged and started reading, never looked to see if it was fully charged. When I charge it next I'll pay more attention.

So far I'm happy with it, I just wish the new cover had shipped at the same time, without a cover it seems too small, and although it sort of fits in my touch cover, the touch was claimed minutes after I'd unpacked the glo, and they expect the cover to go with it...
Lordy, how fast do you read? I can't believe you've already read through 2 and 2/3 books!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #127
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
The screen feel is definitely different to the Touch and the Sony offerings.

It feels like parchment to the touch. Is it better/worse than the others? Neither, it's just different imho.
I 100% agree with this
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #128
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
More...

One of the definite improvements for both Glo and 2.1.4 for Touch is that font settings, including everything from that menu, are remembered. You set the book up the way you want it and it stays that way.

The developers listened when folks complained about the extra steps needed to check the time. Touch the bottom now and the clock is displayed in the center of the upper margin.

After trying it both ways, I think I prefer the dark bar. It seems to me to improve the look of the rest of the screen.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #129
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
In firmware 2.1.4 which is on the Kobo Glo the chapter marks are indeed gone when you middle click the menu open when reading Epubs and kEpubs.
Thanks for letting us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I'm very pleased with this as my first ebook reader, and based on what I've read about the KP, the KG seems to be a very strong competitor. The only advantage I can see Amazon having is the book selection, but that's a moot point if you don't live in the US, as their selection internationally is...lacking. The only other thing the Kindle has going for it is the ability to e-mail documents to your eReader. I'd love it if I could get a <myname>@kobo.com to e-mail ePubs to my device.
I really really want this too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
We're looking at adding more progress indication, stay tuned.
Yay!! A bit strange that it disappeared first... but still, I'll be happy when its back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotikus View Post
It's a shame as it's seems like it's almost there for PDFs. If you could just just continue onto the next page by either continuing to drag or the normal page turns it would be fine.
You can, but a Kobo rep has already replied to this somewhere in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
Another question: can you have it show you current page number vs total pages in book in the status bar? The video I saw had something like number of pages left in chapter, which doesn't really do much for me.
This is the difference between sideloaded and kepub (bought from Kobo) books. Sideloaded will always give you pages per total book pages; Kobo kepubs will always give you pages per chapter. I don't like the latter either, hoping they'll implement an option to choose from either.
Quote:
Kobo Glo fw 2.1.4
Man you read fast!
Quote:
  • Battery life, who knows. I've read 2 1/2 book so far with the light on for 90% of that and WiFi enabled for some of it along with quite a bit of playing with settings etc, and am down to 67%, now I don't know if was fully charged when I finished the setup, it had 85% when it arrived and I plugged it in to do the setup then unplugged it as soon as the firmware update was done and finished the setup unplugged and started reading, never looked to see if it was fully charged. When I charge it next I'll pay more attention.
Ooooh we get battery percentages now? Yay! I wonder if we'll get a low battery warning now as well, instead of just telling you mid-read that "oops, you have to plug in, I don't care if you're on the train and can't charge, but you just can't read the next page!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
More...

One of the definite improvements for both Glo and 2.1.4 for Touch is that font settings, including everything from that menu, are remembered. You set the book up the way you want it and it stays that way.
Oooh!! Yippeeee *does a little dance*!!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #130
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I got one at lunch time. Seems that FNAC as some advance on the release shedule Can't wait to be at home to try it... as my boss expects me to work this afternoon I plug it to have it fully charged tonight
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #131
bimicky
bimicky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
what color did you get? is the bevel black also in the pink,light blue and silver version?
bimicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #132
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimicky View Post
what color did you get? is the bevel black also in the pink,light blue and silver version?
The bezel is white for those versions. I chose black.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #133
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Kobo Touch was just introduced in the portuguese market by FNAC. Kobo Glow should follow soon. Please, can someone confirm that there's the possibility to download portuguese language and dictionary?
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #134
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I choose au white with silver back and as stated, the pink and blue come with white bezel. The black is all black and the others are white with coloured backs.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #135
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post
Kobo Touch was just introduced in the portuguese market by FNAC. Kobo Glow should follow soon. Please, can someone confirm that there's the possibility to download portuguese language and dictionary?
This will be available soon.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote