Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Talking Look how far we've come .... 8D

First let me be clear that I don't mean these comments in any sort of snide or disparaging manner, 'cause I can see that they might come across that way, and I'd like to avoid confusion and offense that I don't intend.

That being said, I find the situation we're now in genuinely amusing.

Before the Reader came out, a majority of folks on MR were concerned primarily with the hardware, and whether it would be 'open' enough to allow free range of usage. Folks were doubtful about what formats it would use, and whether we'd be able to have any access to the OS/software. And almost all the comment on the content Sony was going to offer was in the vein of, "I won't use it, and they really shouldn't offer content and hardware both, as it's a disincentive to them to be responsive to the customers about either."

Now we've gotten our collective mitts on the thing, confirmed that we can use a fair (if small) range of file types, concluded that it's generally a dandy piece of hardware and the onboard software is fine, but not great, and already done a yeoman's job of hacking it (thanks to a truly gifted and clever few in particular -- you know who you are, there are enough of you that I won't do a list for fear of leaving someone out -- my hat is off to you).

So what are we concerned about now? Nothing other than the online store and the content in it that we were sure we wouldn't use, and they shouldn't offer in the first place. That just strikes me as funny.

I'm not trying to suggest that there aren't problems with the Connect Store or with the quality of some of it's offerrings, but I have to appreciate the irony of us now being most concerned with the parts of the package we were sure we didn't want and wouldn't use.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Live and learn.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The $50.00 coupon was a masterful move. Anybody saw it coming? I'll say also, without trying to hurt, that facility often is an entrapment marketers use.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
The $50.00 coupon was a masterful move
Good point, yvanleterrible, I think the Marketing folks' comment on it was something like, "the first taste is free!"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

The main points here are that

1) Once my free allowance is used I won`t be buying anything else because of the poor content, high prices, abysmal search, errors in book, etc. I`ll be providing my own content

2) Without a decent connect store the reader is pretty much useless for all but the geeks, and therefore is less likely to be updated as sales taper off.
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAllenFiz
The main points here are that

1) Once my free allowance is used I won`t be buying anything else because of the poor content, high prices, abysmal search, errors in book, etc. I`ll be providing my own content

2) Without a decent connect store the reader is pretty much useless for all but the geeks, and therefore is less likely to be updated as sales taper off.
Maybe!
Being a regular internet shopper myself I can tell you that having an account in a virtual store makes it very very easy to surrender to temptation!! They're betting on this. If it works to 30% of account posessors, they're laughing all the way to the internet bank!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:48 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I think it's just a seasonal change... Winter is approaching, with gloomy afternoons and dark early evenings. Right now I feel it's much easier to complain about things than to have constructive thoughts. Wait till it's Christmas time, and things should improve again...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Alexander:

I am quite keen to see what the results after Christmas are. Then we'll see how many non-geek folks think enough of the Reader to purchase them as gifts for their friends & loved ones. Further, it will have been a few months since Forum members first got their toys.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote