Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Can't charge battery with USB?

On page 16 of the manual it says:

Quote:
USB charge is not possible if the battery becomes depleted. Use AC power adapter.
First I thought that they meant that if your notebook battery is depleted that you can't charge through USB. I thought this because on that page in the manual they are talking about charging through a notebook PC.

BUT

On page 58 in the troubleshooting part it says:

Quote:
If the battery is depleted, charge the battery using the AC power adapter, as USB charge is not possible.
Let's hope the AC power adapter is a 110/230V otherwise I/we have to start being creative.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm pretty sure that you can charge it straight from the USB, but this makes me think that you can't do so if the Reader's battery is completely flat.

Can you get a PSP charger for your local electricity? 'Cause they'll charge it just fine.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm pretty sure that you can charge it straight from the USB, but this makes me think that you can't do so if the Reader's battery is completely flat.

Can you get a PSP charger for your local electricity? 'Cause they'll charge it just fine.

I have a PSP charger, but does the power adapter for the sony reader has a mini USB connector or is there a seperate connector on the reader when connecting the power adapter? (I don't have the manual here so I can't look it up)
Old 09-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Not sure if this answers your question, but there is a mini USB port, a round adapter jack, and a combined docking jack which has both of those for dock connection.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's a separate socket, looks the same size as the PSP.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
It's a separate socket, looks the same size as the PSP.
That's what I needed to know! Looks the same indeed, thanks for that. But I still think that it will be a 110/230V. Otherwise you can't use it when your traveling to Europe.

EDIT: Is that your reader igorsk? If so is the adapter 110/230V?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that photo is from Gizmodo
I've checked my PSP adapter and it's 110-240, so I assume Librie's will be the same.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
sounds like the same situation I had with the moto V3. When it goes flat, the usb port on your computer doesn't have the juice to get it started.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
It will be interesting to see how flat is too flat to charge via USB, and wether we can program the Reader to warn us at that point: "Hey, if you were planning on charging me via USB, now's the time, otherwise you have XXX more page turns until you need to plug me into the wall."

The basic issue is that same as I discussed over in the iLiad thread, when folks wanted to make a USB charger cable for the iLiad. USB doesn't provide much power.

It would be interesting to test the Sony Reader and see if a double headed USB cable is supported to charge it when its flat. A two headed USB cable provides twice the juice. But if Sony didn't design the unit to support that much juice being available it won't exploit it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Has anybody managed to charge it from the USB cable? I have tried once and left it plugged in thinking it was charging but it just ran the battery down. There doesn't appear to be any status to say it is charging when you plug the USB cable in.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
the little light on the side of the reader above the powerswitch glows red when charging via USB for me. Goes out when fully charged.

I'm quite pleased the little light still works after I wrongly assumed that was the reset hole and tried poking it for a good few minutes to no avail before actually looking at the manual. Sometimes my engineering instinct is way off base.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
rcs1000
Gadget freak
rcs1000 began at the beginning.

I just plugged my Sony Reader into a wall socket USB charger for 45 minutes... and the battery indicator went from three bars to one!

Eeek!
rcs1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard

Did you try connecting it to PC instead?