Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Apple is no longer cool

Teenagers apparently no longer think that Apple products are cool.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/10/iphone-sur...survey-287400/
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Teenagers apparently no longer think that Apple products are cool.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/10/iphone-sur...survey-287400/
If ma and pa, not to mention grandma and grandpa use the devices, they must be old.

Just like the kids aren't into Facebook so much as their parents. The kids like twitter, and tumblr.

(Well that is what I heard.)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Contortionist
Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Contortionist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
tumblr is where it is at. seriously though, Apple products don't have that cool factor anymore, but compared to their competitions design they're going to keep doing just fine.
Contortionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Tumblr is fun. Even for Gentlemen like me.

Apple.. not so much anymore..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Kids that don't have iPad and iPhone still want it though.
Surface tablet has business man as a main target, so its not even in the same market as ipad.
I agree lot of people like Samsung phones, mostly people who are little bit more aware of what they get for their buck, and who love being free of one store monopoly on selling applications. Android lovers and connoisseurs vs. iOS followers.

Totally with you on tumblr and twitter vs. facebook.

Last edited by Geralt; 01-12-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000

Hell in a handbasket indeed!
Is nothing sacred?
Kids today...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I think they lost the cool factor as soon as the judge said it
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Yes, the Apple stores are all empty, I no longer see iPods/iPhones in anybody's hands under 95, the survey's independent and you can believe what you like/suits your own views...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have never been a fan of apple products simply because their products are mostly proprietary. I understand that the ipad is semi-proprietary, never had a cool factor here.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Good -- then perhaps Apple can stop trying to merge OSX with iOS and get back to the pro design/production/film/music demographic they've dissed for the past eight years.

Teenagers already know about restriction. They want the freedom to tweak, customize and bend a device's uses to their will, and I can see how alternatives like the Note II and Surface Pro would give them more of that.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-13-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Yes, the Apple stores are all empty, I no longer see iPods/iPhones in anybody's hands under 95, the survey's independent and you can believe what you like/suits your own views...
Yea, the ol' BS meter went off the scale when it said that teens are going with Microsoft surface. Everything I read say that surface sales have been very disappointing. I work with teenagers, most of whom are from well off families. I don't think I've seen anyone with a surface yet.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Yes, the Apple stores are all empty
I have never been in an Apple Store where the iStaff did not outnumber the
consumers. Unless you are counting employees, the Apple Stores where I live are empty between product launches.

FWIW, my college kid and my high school freshman both want Samsung phones. I'm pushing back to see what Amazon does.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Yves Gorat
Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi all,

I think Preistidigitweeze has a good point - younger users are becoming more critical in how they can use their devices. But apart from that I think that Apple had a certain "air" to it because it was closely linked with "design" and being something special. Of course, if everybody has it, its not special anymore. This is as well (one of) the reasons why Apple was always expensive: It maximizes return and maintains the brand. By becoming cheaper, they could have sold even more, but they would not be "special" anymore. By now (or actually some time back already) I think they passed the point of sales that make them fully mainstream. This will in the mid-term hurt the brand, I think. Similar issue with Porsche: They price their cars not by manufacturing cost, but by branding objectives (and profit) - and even they are expanding too quickly for my taste. Even my neighbour could now be driving a Porsche (and yes, he would have an iPhone).
All the best,

Yves
Yves Gorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I've never been in an Apple store. My iPod was given to me Christmas before last and (having never used iProducts before) it scared me a little.

I recognize it's a quality product and I've enjoyed having it, but to me, it's nowhere near as easy to use as my android gadgets. Maybe if I'd started with iStuff, it would be more intuitive.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Everything I read say that surface sales have been very disappointing. I work with teenagers, most of whom are from well off families. I don't think I've seen anyone with a surface yet.
A lot has been written about Windows 8 and Microsoft's foray into the tablet/phone (I won't say Phablet) arena. With regard to Windows 8, it might be the worst upgrade ever. It's Windows 7 with Touch minus the Start Menu. If your hardware doesn't support touch, you just lose the Start Menu.

BUT, this will change. It already is. A lot of the laptops are supporting touch and some convert to tablets. When these become less expensive, they will be attractive to a lot of people.

I think the RT line was a mistake and will be short-lived. Intel showed some amazing CPUs at CES that are obviously what should have been in the Surface and, well, every laptop.

We have four Fires. We passed on Gen 2 because Gen 1 is still great for us and we want to check out the aPhones. I've used the Surface a lot and I like it. I like the magnetic keyboard and the built in stand. I like that it runs Windows. I like the size and weight. It will be difficult to decide when the time comes.

Microsoft is entering into a crowded market. Established competitors have users locked into contracts and ecosystems. New players are charging the field with their own ecosystems. It's going to take a while for MS to convince people that it is worth switching, but they are in a very good position to do just that.

Desktop, laptop, tablet, console, phone, and Live are a broad architecture. Starting with Windows 8, the default logon is network. That allows MS to link all of these. Their least expensive console competes on price with mainstream streaming boxes. There is no comparison on features.

People have to warm up to the idea of using gestures to tickle their devices (windows users have been slow to do this and cling to their keyboards and mice like no other demographic). Once they do, that connect tech will be pretty cool. An xbox will be the inexpensive streaming box that plays real games. MS will be sued by Apple when xPlay allows people to wireless play their MS Phones on their TV, but they can afford good lawyers. And, believe me, people will love snapping their keyboard off to read a good book, some email, or a PowerPoint presentation in bed.

As for ecosystem, I still thing MS will buy Netflix and what is left of B&N. Add that to the Zune store and they are pretty darn competitive.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote