Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Macmillan becoming library friendly

According to an article on Ars Technica Macmillan will provide libraries with e-books for $25 s piece, license express after 52 loans.
I'm on my Galaxy Tab 2 and I haven't figured out how to copy URL from Flipboard yet.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It is a pilot program with a limited list of ebooks for rental.
And it *is* rent, not sale: the licenses expire after two years or 52 check-outs, whichever comes first.
Which, price or not, makes it pretty darn library-hostile; the libraries pay more if the book is popular and lose their rental fee if it isn't.

The Digital reader blog has a report on it:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...t-this-spring/

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-25-2013 at 05:13 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Want Macmillan one of the publishers who refused to sell to libraries before?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup. They refused to take libraries' money on any terms.
Now they'll take it on *their* terms.
Remains to be seen if libraries take the deal or leave it.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If they're smart, they'll leave it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
They (Macmillan) aren't trying to make 'amends' from the goodness of their hearts...
They must be seeing potential sales lost.
So, it appears that it would behoove those of us who regularly make use of our library (ies), to advise them NOT to cave in to Macmillan. I will, in any case.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Sometimes you guys just make me completely confused. On the one hand you complain that there aren't enough e-books available in libraries and then when a large publisher say they will make their titles available you complain about that. As a comedian would say: "Tough crowd"!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
There are tons of books in my local library which are much older than 2 years. What gives MacMillan the right to limit libraries' ownership to only two years? If I was a library I'd tell them to go to hell.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I also hope that libraries do not give in and take this deal. It could set a bad precedent that could effect all libraries and other publishers down the road.

The terms are just ridiculous. Libraries aren't rolling in money to be able to afford these high-priced terms for ebooks. Compare that policy to if they purchased the hardcover book. They pay one price and they have it forever to loan out to as many people that want to read it... no limits, no one comes into the library after 2 years to remove the books, it's there to stay.

It's not a case of being a tough crowd. I don't want to see any of my public libraries close down because they run out of money on silly pricing like this and are forced into cutbacks. It's a case of greedy publishers trying to squeeze more money any way they can. Trying to get it from libraries just offends me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Sometimes you guys just make me completely confused. On the one hand you complain that there aren't enough e-books available in libraries and then when a large publisher say they will make their titles available you complain about that. As a comedian would say: "Tough crowd"!
Personally, I'd rather my libraries never buy from the Big Six. These publishers are gouging libraries with their outrageous pricing and restrictions. Libraries have precious few dollars to spend and it's a waste of tax dollars to throw these funds at high priced books. That money is best spent on other services.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I get the impression that library lenders in the US aren't primarily interested in reading popular books, is that the case? Here in Sweden there is a clear bias towards the big publishers. I assumed people would be happy that they gained access to one of the big publisher's backlist through the library system. Seems like I was completely off base.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I get the impression that library lenders in the US aren't primarily interested in reading popular books, is that the case? Here in Sweden there is a clear bias towards the big publishers. I assumed people would be happy that they gained access to one of the big publisher's backlist through the library system. Seems like I was completely off base.
I'm sure they do want the best sellers; but if the price is too high, who's going to pay for them?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
There are tons of books in my local library which are much older than 2 years. What gives MacMillan the right to limit libraries' ownership to only two years? If I was a library I'd tell them to go to hell.
A lot less than two years if the book is the least bit popular. A popular book could last only a year.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I hear ya.
I hear ya.