Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
dwharrington
dwharrington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Can't run/uninstall/delete Calibre

I've never had anything like this happen. I had Calibre 0.7.44 installed on a Windows 7 AMD 64 PC. It ran fine for a few weeks. Then one day it would only crash with some kind of Python error.

I tried to repair the installation, but that would slow the computer to molasses speed and crash. Then I tried to uninstall, and that slowed worse before giving me error messages that I don't understand.

Then I tried to manually delete the files under c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2. First my computer would lock up and go super slow, with estimated delete times of like 2 hours. Then I wouldn't be able to delete the files at all. I am getting strange IO error messages (screenshots attached) every time I try to delete Calibre2 files. Eventually, I was able to delete everything but the Lib directory under Calibre2, but those files still remain, and every time I try to delete them, uninstall Calibre, or Reinstall Calibre, my computer locks up.

What can I do to just get rid of this annoyance?

I tried posting this message several to the Calibre website bug tracker, but it never seemed to stick, which I don't understand. (As if an Admin were deleting them.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre error.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	68133   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre error2.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	68134  
dwharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Windows ? -> reboot

Hi there
First step is to reboot your computer.
Then you should check your disk(s) for any errors, AND correct them, if there'r any.
What Antivirus are you using ? You might want disable that while strugling with this problem.
DON'T use the Internet while antivirus is disabled.
Oh yes, are you THE administrator when doing all these steps ?
Don't have windows 7 myself, but vista,
One more thing: is EVRYTHING Calibre related, programs, library etc. located on the c: drive ?

Sorry that I don't have the magic solution for you.
Hopefully someone else can help you, but you might to give us all some more info.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to the appropriate subforum.

This looks to me to be a hard disk failure. Can you run a disk check (see the device properties)? Also, try to get a SMART status or some other hardware diagnostic- refer to your drives' manufacturer for instructions how to do that.
Apart from that: Is Calibre the only program affected by this?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
dwharrington
dwharrington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Oy vey ... Maybe it is a disk problem. The computer is relatively new. I just ran chkdsk and it found some bad sectors. I still can't delete the Calibre files although now it's a different error message (I need permission from SYSTEM to do that).

Yes, Calibre files are the only files affected that I know of, though this computer has a lot of problems running a range of programs that might be due to something like this.

It's a work computer for a rural nonprofit in remote Honduras, so getting things fixed is a problem ...

Any advice? I know it's probably beyond the scope of this site.
dwharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have had good luck repairing disk errors with spinrite (http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm). It tries *very hard* to get data from bad sectors, then remaps these sectors elsewhere. Of course, it can't get data back that is truly unreadable, but in many cases the data is actually there.

It can be bought online, which might make it available to you.

Note: it can take days to run on a large disk with lots of errors.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Can spinrite handle SATA disks as found on most modern systems?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have used it on SATA drives on a high-end machine purchased in 2009.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, i/o error, python, uninstall