Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #46
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Si taquisses philosophus mansisses
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #47
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Or, it's not going to be easily cracked by any home computer; BUT the gamingcomputer running 2 graphics cards in SLI,with Cuda installed.
The sheer amount of ignorance displayed in your post is staggering, to say the least. To bruteforce 128-bit AES encryption, you need to check 2^128 (340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,4 56) different keys. If you had a computer that could check a BILLION BILLION ( 10^18 = 1000 000 000 000 000 000) keys a second -- which is many many many orders of magnitude beyond what anyone can do, no matter how many computers or CUDA graphics cards they assemble -- it would still take 10^13 years to check all of them. This is one THOUSAND times longer than the age of the universe.

Even this is minute and laughably small if we talk about 256-bit AES.

Please don't speak about things you clearly have absolutely no idea about.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #48
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
it would still take 10^13 years to check all of them.
Yes, all of them. But if you are lucky, you may find the right key in the first minute, which makes it very fast
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Words to live by, indeed .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #50
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Also, it's tacuisses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, all of them. But if you are lucky, you may find the right key in the first minute, which makes it very fast
Now that's not funny!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Also, it's tacuisses.
In classical Latin, yes (from "taceo", of course), but medieval Latin often replaced c's with q's, and this is a medieval Latin saying.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #52
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In classical Latin, yes (from "taceo", of course), but medieval Latin often replaced c's with q's, and this is a medieval Latin saying.
Huh... I missed that one.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #53
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Huh... I missed that one.
I didn't cf my last post in this thread
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #54
Valloric

Quote:
I didn't cf my last post in this thread
I saw that one coming. I deserve it, too.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #55
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'll be honest, I'm certainly not opposed to epub, but I don't see it as the ultimate solution to producing ebooks either. Actually, I think the problem has more to do with hardware than it does with software. The screens used to display ebooks are just too small.

If for example you are designing a book of poetry then you will have lines wrap because the screen is too small, and there isn't much you can do about it -- no matter what software you use. The current e-readers work fine for novels and similar types of books, but virtually any book that requires special formatting is going to be hampered by screen size limitations far more than they are by software limitations.

Once we have screens capable of displaying letter or A4 sized pages then I still doubt I will be demanding epub support, but instead will want PDF support. That's my 2 cents anyway.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #56
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I'll be honest, I'm certainly not opposed to epub, but I don't see it as the ultimate solution to producing ebooks either. Actually, I think the problem has more to do with hardware than it does with software. The screens used to display ebooks are just too small.

If for example you are designing a book of poetry then you will have lines wrap because the screen is too small, and there isn't much you can do about it -- no matter what software you use. The current e-readers work fine for novels and similar types of books, but virtually any book that requires special formatting is going to be hampered by screen size limitations far more than they are by software limitations.

Once we have screens capable of displaying letter or A4 sized pages then I still doubt I will be demanding epub support, but instead will want PDF support. That's my 2 cents anyway.
i made this same reply in the first thread you posted this in, but i'll make it here too for the sake of consistency :
i'm not sure what any of this has to do with epub.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #57
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm simply making the point that epub (or any software solution) does not resolve the issue of making formatted books look nice on an e-reader. The real problem is that the screens are too small, and when the screens are bigger then PDF will probably be answer and not epub.

I really enjoy your posts Zelda, but I fail to see why you think my response is off topic. Maybe your emotionally invested in epub? This I can understand.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I'm simply making the point that epub (or any software solution) does not resolve the issue of making formatted books look nice on an e-reader. The real problem is that the screens are too small, and when the screens are bigger then PDF will probably be answer and not epub.

I really enjoy your posts Zelda, but I fail to see why you think my response is off topic. Maybe your emotionally invested in epub? This I can understand.
well, i think your post is a bit off topic because you are talking about screens being too small ; but as you recognise yourself, that has nothing to do with any ebook format, including epub.

as for making formatted books look nice, as long as we are not talking about screen size, the css support in epub should allow you to make very nice looking texts, on the contrary ; however, you are right, epub will not help you with poetry formatting if lines are too long for the screen. but again, that's not really anything to do with epub.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #59
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have noticed that ePub supports the use of embedded fonts, but what other, specific technical advantages does ePub confer over mobi/AZW? Is there broader/deeper support for HTML/CSS? Are all ePub readers created equal, i.e. are some features 'optional' to implement?
Thanks
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #60
dauwhe
<geek type="xml"/>
dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle, Kindle 2, Sony Reader, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have noticed that ePub supports the use of embedded fonts, but what other, specific technical advantages does ePub confer over mobi/AZW? Is there broader/deeper support for HTML/CSS? Are all ePub readers created equal, i.e. are some features 'optional' to implement?
Thanks
ePub fully supports CSS 2.1 and I think almost all of XHTML. Mobi/AZW's CSS support is, what's the polite word, terrible. No support for float, almost all the box model fails, etc.

ePub also supports SVG. So the rendering capacity is much, much better. Basically it's quite difficult to do anything more design-intensive than a novel in Mobi. ePub gives you the chance to do almost anything (of course, you need a reading system to support it).

Dave
dauwhe is offline   Reply With Quote