Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
jeremyw
jeremyw began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Reader not recognized in OS X

I have a new PRS-505 reader, and while the storage is recognized in calibre running in OS X, the "Send to Device" button is always grayed out.

Running with the identical hardware through VMWare Fusion works perfectly. Calibre recognizes my device and the button is enabled.

The basic library appears to be running, but maybe not fully?

[jw-macbook ~]$ prs500 info
Device name: PRS505
Device version:
Software version:
Mime type:
[jw-macbook ~]$

Any ideas out there?
jeremyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What version of calibre?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
jeremyw

Calibre is at 0.4.115

OS X is 10.5.6
Old 12-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm that's weird. What does

prs500 df

give you
Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
jeremyw

prs500 df

prs500 df
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use%
Memory 210M 5M 204M 2%
Stick 0 0 0 0%
Card 944M 280M 664M 29%
Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

prs500 df uses exactly the same code as the GUI to detect the reader. When you plug the reader in with the GUI already running, does it popup a message saying it detected the reader?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
jeremyw

It doesn't. It's as though the reader isn't plugged in at all or calibre isn't polling.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw View Post
It doesn't. It's as though the reader isn't plugged in at all or calibre isn't polling.
Does it show up in Finder?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
jeremyw

It does. Both the eReader internal storage and the card storage show up as separate drives. If I copy an LRF, the reader recognizes it (although I can't use collections/tags without sending the data through calibre)
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
jeremyw

Similar problem?

It looks like macthekitten may be experiencing the same symptom...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34211

I've been trying to think of other causes. Does calibre depend on other components that may be of different versions? MacFUSE?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The fact that prs500 df is working is what is most puzzling. How about

Code:
prs500 books
Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
jeremyw

Output from prs500 books

Looks good to me....

[jeremywjw-macbook ~]$ prs500 books
Books in main memory:
User's Guide by Sony Corporation at /Volumes/EREADER/database/media/books/PRS505_UG.pdf

Books on storage card:
Oracle Database SQL Quick Reference by Oracle Corporation at /Volumes/EREADERCARD/calibre/Oracle_Database_SQL_Quick_Reference_-_Oracle_Corporation_33.pdf
11g_New_Features_-_Robert_A_Freeman_5 by Unknown at /Volumes/EREADERCARD/calibre/11g_New_Features_-_Robert_A_Freeman_5.pdf
Miles Errant by Lois McMaster Bujold at /Volumes/EREADERCARD/calibre/Miles_Errant_-_Lois_McMaster_Bujold_422.lrf
... and so on
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Weirder and weirder

Run the GUI from a terminal using the command

calibre

And post any output you see (let it run for a couple of minutes to give it time to detect the reader)
Old 12-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
jeremyw

Problem found / resolution suggestions

So, running calibre from the command line works. The device is recognized. Here's the text:

Code:
[jeremywjw-macbook ~]$ calibre
link  hasn't been detected!
2008-12-18 14:04:04.628 python[6306:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdCamino.bundle'
2008-12-18 14:04:04.629 python[6306:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdDEVONagent.bundle'
2008-12-18 14:04:04.631 python[6306:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdNNW.bundle'
2008-12-18 14:04:04.631 python[6306:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdOmniWeb.bundle'
2008-12-18 14:04:04.632 python[6306:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdSafari.bundle'

So, I thought maybe there's something missing from the PATH when I launch from the gui, but my environment.plist contains a PATH reference which resolves to:

/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/Library/MySql/bin:/Users/jeremyw/bin:/Developer/Tools:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/oracle/product/10.2.0/client_1/bin

Various scripts in .bash_profile and .bashrc append the following values to the PATH:

/usr/sbin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/apache2/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/Users/jeremyw/bin:/Developer/Tools:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/instantclient:/usr/local/sbin

so I couldn't see any cause for the latter to be successful instead of the former. BUT, if I do this:

Code:
[jeremywjw-macbook ~]$ export PATH=/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/Library/MySql/bin:/Users/jeremyw/bin:/Developer/Tools:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/oracle/product/10.2.0/client_1/bin
[jeremywjw-macbook ~]$ which calibre
/usr/bin/calibre
[jeremywjw-macbook ~]$ calibre
2008-12-18 14:10:22.668 python[6446:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdCamino.bundle'
2008-12-18 14:10:22.669 python[6446:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdDEVONagent.bundle'
2008-12-18 14:10:22.669 python[6446:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdNNW.bundle'
2008-12-18 14:10:22.670 python[6446:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdOmniWeb.bundle'
2008-12-18 14:10:22.670 python[6446:71f] No identifier for bundle at path '/Users/jeremyw/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/OnePasswdSafari.bundle'
Unable to open device
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 59, in detect_device
  File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 271, in open
  File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 134, in open_osx
  File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 112, in get_osx_mountpoints
  File "subprocess.pyo", line 595, in __init__
  File "subprocess.pyo", line 1106, in _execute_child
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
It fails. So some experimentation revealed that appending /usr/sbin to my environment.plist fixes the problem. So, this is a nominal solution for non-recognized devices for users with customized environment.plist files, but I suspect get_osx_mountpoints should probably just reference the appropriate binary by specific path. (I suspect diskutil, but you know better than I).

Thanks for the pointer! Let me know if I can help your project any further; it's a fantastically useful app (especially now that I don't have to run a VM windows to play with it).
Old 12-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It uses ioreg

I dont have an OSX machine handy at the moment. What's the ful path to ioreg?