Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
Frank308
Frank308 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Reflashing a Brick

Hi there,

I have a PRS-505 that crashed while flashing the new firmware using the download from sony. Several other units also crashed but were recoverable by attaching to another computer while they still displayed updating firmware and rerunning the update program on them. This got me thinking that it might still be possible to force a reflash of the firmware on the PRS. Currently the unit is totally nonresponsive. When I try to turn it on the light turns orange and doesn't change unless I turn it off with the reset button. The unit is not recognized by a computer. If I were to try flashing an older firmware with an SD card using Universal Flasher v2.0 how would I go about it? Is the attempt likely to cause any problems that would prevent returning the unit?
Frank308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sounds like a flat battery. If you have a PSP charger, use it. Otherwise, connect it to USB for a few hours (if it's a laptop, make sure you disable sleep mode). If the red light does not appear at first, don't be alarmed - it's normal with a completely flat battery.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Frank308

Thanks,

Is there an indication once the battery is fully charged such as the red light going or the like?

Frank
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, the red light goes off on full charge.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Frank308

Thanks Igsork,

Thats seems to have fixed it somewhat. I hooked it up to my comp to charge and after a while it showed up as attached. When I checked its screen it was still saying firmware update in progress. I ran the update from sony which said my firmware was version 0 and now its working.

Frank