Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #16
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I opened my touch, and found it had a microSD card, BUT the black plastic socket seen in the picture above, is inside a silver cage and I cannot get the card to slide out. It moves about 0.5 mm, but won't slide right out.
The mechanism can be opened. You 'slide' it a millimetre or two to unlock it, then the metal cage flips forward.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #17
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
that silver cage has a slide-lock mechanism, similar to this:

http://www.otto.co.za/store/dataShee...ecbfaa4a8e.pdf

(stewacide has answered this while I was searching for an image :-))
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
loco_diabolo
loco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterloco_diabolo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo glo, kobo aura
Take a look here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193321

You will find some interesting informations about reading/writing an image and opening then back of your glo.
I use a 16GB SD-Card since 11-25-2012 following this thread without having any trouble till now.
Plus having a safe backup. I was downloading the wrong 2.3.2 firmware (Touch) and bricked my glo. Putting back the Backup and write my 16 GB Card again.
loco_diabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
The mechanism can be opened. You 'slide' it a millimetre or two to unlock it, then the metal cage flips forward.
Thanks. What made it harder is that it slides in the opposite direction to that which the card would slide to remove it. Mine didn't have the open-close directions marked. The drawing clsdclsd linked clued me into that.

Thanks both of you. Mine is only a 2GB btw. I am more interested in a backup image than more storage, but I may get a bigger card, and keep the whole 2GB card as a backup.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In case this helps someone...

I cloned my 2GB microSD card to a 4GB card, but the Touch just refused to start up, no matter what type of reset I tried. However, as soon as I plugged the USB cable into it, and into my computer, it booted up normally. Note, the battery was not flat - I had charged it fully before starting this and it's still showing full now. Seems the startup on seeing a USB cable is slightly different somehow.

For what it's worth my procedure was

1. Put the original card in a card reader (as drive 'd') and used
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/sdd of=test.img
to copy it.
2. Replaced the original card with new 4GB card and reversed the copy
Code:
sudo dd if=test.img of=/dev/sdd
3. Ran gparted and resized the last partition to fill the card.

I noted that the 3 partitions on it were root, recovery, and a data partition with all the books and stuff in it. root and recovery partitions are both 256MB.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Device: Kobo Glo
Strange it should behave like that. Maybe the active parition has changed or what was previously the active parition has now been marked inactive? That would stop it booting, although not sure why plugging in a USB cable would make a difference.

Last edited by BrainDead; 01-07-2013 at 07:41 AM.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
joerg.herzinger
joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joerg.herzinger , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I am thinking about opening up and playing around with my Kobo too. Are there any Instructions, maybe with pics on how to open the case without destroying anthing. Maybe even so Kobo won't notice it in case of a warranty return?
joerg.herzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #23
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerg.herzinger View Post
I am thinking about opening up and playing around with my Kobo too. Are there any Instructions, maybe with pics on how to open the case without destroying anthing. Maybe even so Kobo won't notice it in case of a warranty return?
So you're looking for tips on how to open your kobo and muck about with it so that if you screw it up, they won't know and you'll still be able to take it back under warranty?

Seriously?
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDead View Post
Strange it should behave like that. Maybe the active parition has changed or what was previously the active parition has now been marked inactive? That would stop it booting, although not sure why plugging in a USB cable would make a difference.
No, it had nothing to do with the microSD, as it was doing the same with the original 2GB card.