FN LN sort on FN 4 8.70%
LN, FN sort on FN 0 0%
LN only 0 0%
Other 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Author Name Display and Sort

All the discussion on Author sorting, I thought a Poll for fun (not binding on the Developers) to see how people use the Author sort and what shows on the display
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
When I first got this program, it took me almost 2hours to work out how to swap LN,FN and get it to "sort" how I wanted: and I'm an IT consultant.....so I can understand the number of posts about this (esp when you have to go into settings/ tweaks for The algorithm used to copy author to author_sort for example) - not something you expect first off.

Personally I have the Authors as First Name / Last Name and Author sort the same.
I like to be able to just click on the Authors column and have it sort Alphabetically by FN/LN

PS, nothing against any developers, as they do a fantastic job, its just the nature of an open sorce app with loads of options.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
When I first got this program, it took me almost 2hours to work out how to swap LN,FN and get it to "sort" how I wanted: and I'm an IT consultant.....so I can understand the number of posts about this (esp when you have to go into settings/ tweaks for The algorithm used to copy author to author_sort for example) - not something you expect first off.
It's not something a large portion of the user base wants to change. Also, making the change when starting the libary is easy- it's the people who decide that, after something like 1000 books, they'd like their authors as LN, FN, prettyplease, that make for the most interesting threads
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
That would be me, except I "only" had about 200 books at the time (I'm still not at 1000). I try to use a program as is, until I figure out what I really want. Sometimes that takes a while; so I appreciate the fact that there is a place where I can get the info that I need when I need it as I tweak . If I were to have any complaints it is that I find the Calibre Manual very difficult to search and to understand - another reason why I find this forum to be invaluable.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I voted to <LN, FN> both in the author and author-sort fields. As you can see in another thread, I'm fighting with Calibre and/or Sigil to get the order I want. The current score? Calibre/Sigil 1 Me 0
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Is this poll for the main window or the tag browser?

In the main window, I don't really care, but in the tag browser I definitely would prefer sorted by FN,LN as it used to be once upon a time.

Three reasons:
That is how it is displayed by default in the first versions I used and it seemed
more intuitive.
It is easier (for me at least) to check if there are author mispellings etc.
That is how the books are stored.

Still, I know this is probably a minority opinion and have learned to deal with it by rarely using the tag browser for author lookup.

Superb idea for a poll BTW. First one I have noticed in the calibre subforum.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by encapuchado View Post
I voted to <LN, FN> both in the author and author-sort fields. As you can see in another thread, I'm fighting with Calibre and/or Sigil to get the order I want. The current score? Calibre/Sigil 1 Me 0
You're fighting to get the right entry into the sort field (author_sort). Calibre always sorts by that field. You don't actually have a sort problem, you have a problem with getting the right data into the author_sort field. That problem boils down to: first, you aren't sure what is in the author field of your e-book (you are using internal metadata), and second, you aren't sure how what's in the author field gets converted into the author_sort field. Keep plugging away, you'll get there
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
in the tag browser I definitely would prefer sorted by FN,LN as it used to be once upon a time.
Helen
The displayed value in the tag browser can be the author's name (FN LN by default) or the author's sort value (LN, FN by default); this choice is determined by the "Use author sort in Tag Browser" (categories_use_field_for_author_name) tweak. It sounds like you want to change the tweak.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Well, it's not exactly my preference so much as what I've gotten used to - I have a Kindle, and the Kindle wants LN, FN which it then translates to FN LN on the home screen. I've learned that it's best to do as the Kindle wishes or the Kindle gets very angry.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Well, it's not exactly my preference so much as what I've gotten used to - I have a Kindle, and the Kindle wants LN, FN which it then translates to FN LN on the home screen. I've learned that it's best to do as the Kindle wishes or the Kindle gets very angry.
You can use either the {authors} (what shows on the screen) or {author_sort} in the send/save Templates,. So set what you want to see on the screen and set whatever template field to pickup LN, FN
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can use either the {authors} (what shows on the screen) or {author_sort} in the send/save Templates,. So set what you want to see on the screen and set whatever template field to pickup LN, FN
I was going to do that, but by the time I started working with the send/save templates I was already used to it. The Kindle had assimilated me. The good news is, if I ever decide to switch, I have the regex saved and ready to go in S&R.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Would be interesting to get a lot more responses in the poll to get beyond the outrageous statistical error it currently has. Speaking as one of those in the "supposed minority" of using LN,FN of course
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
FN LN is nicer to look at (and shows in my main view), but I would never sort that way.
1st, I hate to scroll through all the 'Davids' or 'Johns', 2nd, sometimes I can't remember the first name. Last name comes more easily.
As far as I care, tag browser could show just LN, to see the whole name I have to drag the panel wider.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
I have currently been changing each author as I enter books to be

Authors: LN, FN
Authors Sort: LN, FN

If I wanted to change all my Authors to FN LN would I just go into edit metadata and hold the author sort button and click on 'set author from author sort' to change each one?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I have currently been changing each author as I enter books to be

Authors: LN, FN
Authors Sort: LN, FN

If I wanted to change all my Authors to FN LN would I just go into edit metadata and hold the author sort button and click on 'set author from author sort' to change each one?

Carol
Underneath the Tag Browser, there is "Manage ..."
See if any of those will do what you need in bulk (or at least at the Author Level)