Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The "We don't need no stinkin' cover" club

Who else hates using covers? I have one for my phone because it cost me $500 but every time I take it off I'm amazed by how my phone feels like a completely different device. It's so light and easy to hold and feels great in my hand.
I used to use a cover for my PRS 650 but I got tired of the flap constantly getting in my way when I wanted to hold it. I took it off a year ago and have been very happy with my naked ereader. It feels so light in my hand and I can hold it with either the left or right hand. I throw it in my shoulder bag when I'm finished reading and while I do have a few marks on the back of the reader, the display itself is still pristine.
And don't get me started on the price of official covers-$40 for a piece of plastic for a reader that only costs $100? Crazy.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Sorry, but I can't gain admittance to your august group.

I bought my 650 full price when it came out, thinking it was so sharp looking that I splurged and got an Oberon journal cover that has held up well with the unit velcro'ed inside. The cover bends fully back; I have a collapsible black stand that everything fits well on.

I'd never consider tossing my devices around nekkid. I did get a small very scratch on the screen after carelessly placing something on top with the cover closed, where the back of the silver clasp hit the screen. I re-enforced the left pocket with heavy cardboard, and all's well now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 45.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	104650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 46.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	104651  

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 04-20-2013 at 10:40 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I love my devices too much to let them go naked. I just feel more secure when I throw my Paperwhite into my purse knowing it's got a cover to protect it from all the riff-raff in there. (why do I have 3 styluses in my purse, when I don't carry my iPad around with me?). and my daughter made a really cool steampunk cover for the paperwhite anyway.

I just fold the cover back when I read, and it's out of the way.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know that I hate covers. I don't however use one anymore and haven't for a couple of years (or whenever it was the Kindle Touch came out). For my Kindle Touch I keep the shipping box it came in inside my briefcase to protect it when going back and forth to work.

I do have an Oberon cover for my Kindle 3 and while it's a beautiful cover I find it to be too heavy and bulky to be comfortable in most cases, I should probably sell it at some point to recoup some of it's cost.

I've got an Aura HD coming and opted to not get a cover for it either, although I'm thinking of getting a "universal" sleeve of some sort that will hold the Aura or my Touch or my Nexus 7 for transport. Something that's usable with multiple devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
and my daughter made a really cool steampunk cover for the paperwhite anyway.
Got any pics?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I couldn't read one-handed (prone) on my Kindle Fire HD until I got the case for it. It nearly drove me bonkers until the case arrived. Now I can fold the cover back, wedge a few fingers between the back of the device and the cover, thus leaving my thumb free to do the page turning. The device would literally be useless to me without the cover (as a reader anyway).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't know that I hate covers. be comfortable in most cases, I should probably sell it at some point to recoup some of it's cost.

I've got an Aura HD coming and opted to not get a cover for it either, although I'm thinking of getting a "universal" sleeve of some sort that will hold the Aura or my Touch or my Nexus 7 for transport. Something that's usable with multiple devices.
Well I don't actually hate covers either but I prefer not to use them. I may also look into getting a sleeve as well, at least for the first year. If anything happens after that I would probably just buy the latest version.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have a cheap case for my Kindle Keyboard. I payed $13 for it, with shipping. I'm quite satisfied with it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Sorry, but I can't gain admittance to your august group.

I bought my 650 full price when it came out, thinking it was so sharp looking that I splurged and got an Oberon journal cover that has held up well with the unit velcro'ed inside. The cover bends fully back; I have a collapsible black stand that everything fits well on.

I'd never consider tossing my devices around nekkid. I did get a small very scratch on the screen after carelessly placing something on top with the cover closed, where the back of the silver clasp hit the screen. I re-enforced the left pocket with heavy cardboard, and all's well now.
As much as I dislike using covers I will admit that those Oberons are a thing of beauty.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
For a long time I didn't use a cover with my Kindle. However lately, I have been using my lighted cover with it. While it makes my Kindle heavier, it does feel nicer in my hand.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I much prefer to read without a cover. I do have an armor case so I can chuck my reader in my backpack/pannier without worrying about it getting damaged, but I always remove the reader to read.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #12
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I thought he was talking about book covers

I was inclined to agree.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #13
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I have possibly the cheapest covers one could have: .50 cent rubber bumpers for my iphone and a Kindle cover I got on clearance at Target for $5. I've seen some phone covers and the like out there that are $50+, at that point you need your head examined.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have several covers and sleeves. I don't use them. I use a quilted potholder in my bookbag as a sleeve instead.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I don't use covers, but I do have cases that I use for transporting my ereader or tablets. They provide decent protection, but they're way too bulky to keep on while I'm reading.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote