Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Pocket Pro vs Kindle?

I have decided to upgrade my reader after all I have started walking at a track near my home, and I am not a huge music listener, so I am feeling like I would really enjoy having text to speech so I can have my books to listen to. I am debating between the Kindle and the Pocket Pro from Astak. I had thought I would go with the Kindle but just found, through downloading the iPod Touch app, that all of the 'free' books cost $2 in Canada. So there goes my incentive to use the Kindle store Most of my books are either from here, or liberated eReader and epub so the TTS feature will work with all of them. The Pocket Pro was recommended to me and I have checked out the relevant threads. I can't decide which one to get though. I want it to be able to replace my 505 (i.e. I will sell my 505 to help fund the cost of the new reader). I am not worried about reading content I own as all of it is convertable. I love my 505 but my primary reason for buying a new device is text to speech function.

Kindle:

- It is a prettier, nicer looking device
- I love the screenshots of the user interface
- The TTS sounds a little better judging from the YouTube clips
- The TTS has a choice of two voices
- All my books (incl. Sony store) can be converted and read on it
- Would not use the store but would enjoy the Wikipedia
- Has built-in dictionary which I would use to read in French
- No folder/tagging/organizing capability so far
- Is very expensive

Pocket Pro:

- $100 cheaper
- Comes with case, unlike Kindle
- Supports many formats incl. epub without conversion
- Could read library and Sony/Kobo books without liberation/conversion
- Accepts memory card (not sure I would use this feature)
- No Wikipedia (this gives me a twinge of regret)
- No dictionary (but I could work around this; not a deal-breaker)
- TTS voice is not quite as nice
- But it does have folders, although FAQ/reviews not clear on how that works

In the past, for expensive purchases, I have sometimes bought an off-brand and then later regretted not just buying in the first place the one I really wanted. But given that I do not plan to use the Amazon store, I am wondering if it is worth the extra $100. The Pocket Pro has a slightly less nice TTS but it does have other advantages such as the folder/organizing (I have over 500 books). I am just not sure what to do.

I did check out the CES threads and none of the newer tech really interests me. I am not a fancy person, I just want to read plain books. I am mildly curious about the Apple device and will wait for their announcement, but given that TTS is my primary interest right now, I am preparing to make a new reader purchase at month's end. Between my bus ride to work and my walking workouts, that is an extra hour a day of potential reading time if the TTS pans out as I expect. That is worth getting a new reader for.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you checked out if the Pocket Pro has sorted out the big it has had? The PP I think lacks history so if you have an ePub with an endnote, it has no way to return unless there is a link in the endnote to do so.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-07-2010 at 10:44 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I have the Kindle and love it, but never use the whispernet. My sister has the Pocket Pro and loves it. I have played with her Pocket Pro and am very impressed with the look, feel and the cover is quite nice as well. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:36 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest listening to the TTS on the Kindle and the PP before buying one for that specific feature. With the best will in the world, it's not terribly good, and personally I wouldn't want to listen to it. The Kindle's TTS is considerably better than the PP, to my ear.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote