Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
book will not open in sigil but ok in ADE

I have an epub which looks fine in ADE, but sigil cannot open it.

the error detail is:
Cannot extract file: META-INF/

is there a simple workaround ?

PS it opens OK in calibre viewer, I expect a convert epub to epub in calibre will fix it but I'd like to know how to fix it with only sigil if possibl'

Last edited by cybmole; 07-23-2013 at 11:17 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I have an epub which looks fine in ADE, but sigil cannot open it.

the error detail is:
Cannot extract file: META-INF/

is there a simple workaround ?

PS it opens OK in calibre viewer, I expect a convert epub to epub in calibre will fix it but I'd like to know how to fix it with only sigil if possibl'
Calibre is more forgiving of incorrect EPUBs
Use (Calibre) Tweak EPUB to check it (also check it was not (incorrectly) write protected)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it was not write protected, I'd imported it into calibre library before trying to open it with sigil.
i am not sure what I'd be checking for, within tweak epub ?

is a file called meta.inf a mandatory component, but one which ADE & calibre viewer can live without ?

PS a calibre conversion did repair the book , as expected.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
is a file called meta.inf a mandatory component, but one which ADE & calibre viewer can live without ?
It's not a file, it's a directory (folder), and it's "META-INF" (case-sensitive, and with a hyphen). It's mandatory, because it must contain a file named "container.xml", which defines where the main OPF file is located. It is this OPF file that defines all the other ePub contents and structure. Maybe ADE and calibre have some way of finding the OPF file on their own, but without "META-INF" the ePub is definitely invalid.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
it was not write protected, I'd imported it into calibre library before trying to open it with sigil.
i am not sure what I'd be checking for, within tweak epub ?

PS a calibre conversion did repair the book , as expected.
Yes
There are 3 sections to the spec (see at) http://idpf.org/epub
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's not a file, it's a directory (folder), and it's "META-INF" (case-sensitive, and with a hyphen). It's mandatory, because it must contain a file named "container.xml", which defines where the main OPF file is located. It is this OPF file that defines all the other ePub contents and structure. Maybe ADE and calibre have some way of finding the OPF file on their own, but without "META-INF" the ePub is definitely invalid.

I wimped out & did an epub to epub convert with calibre, It is OK now.

but out of curiosity I opened what is now the original_epub file in winrar. & I see all of that "missing" stuff - the META-INF folder, and inside that the container.xml.. so sigil's error message is misleading.

I cannot post the file for copyright reasons but if anyone wants to did deeper juse PM me with an email to send it to
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have seen books where there were deliberate errors in the opf with file extensions. Somehow the book worked fine on most readers, but upon opening in Sigil not everything was loaded. The reason is logical, Sigil seems to use the opf to load all the files. So, if a file has a different name, it is not loaded into Sigil.
Perhaps this is also such a case where a deliberate error/loophole is exploited. Have you checked the original file with EpubCheck?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
..Have you checked the original file with EpubCheck?
no but more DIY exploration.
META-INF folder has 2 files: calibre bookmarks & container.xml

in container.xml i see just 1 line:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><container xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:container" version="1.0"><rootfiles><rootfile full-path="OEBPS/Litt_ISBN9781926706771_epub_opf_r1.opf" media-type="application/oebps-package+xml"/></rootfiles></container>
that is pointing to an .opf file which DOES exist on that path; but sigil's error message implies it's not even getting that far as it's complaining about the containing META-INF folder ?

it's probably not worth taking this further, as it's a "found " book about climate change - I also see archive created by freejZIP.url and an itunesartwork file so I am thinking it's been messed with before I found it