Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
That's actually Google's doing and the "Move to SD" thing was never worth doing anyway it would basicly move a tiny amount of the apps data to the SD card while keeping most of it still on the actual device storage.

Best thing is to use the SD card for is other files like Video, Music, Books, Offline GPS maps etc
I've read this elsewhere. I wonder if this was done after a certain date. The LG Optimus L9 I mentioned in my previous post was released in 2012. FizzyWater's phone was also released in 2012. The GSII was released in 2011. All three phones run on ICS or higher. So why does the GSII allow apps to be moved to the SD card while those two phones don't?
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Have to admit I was disappointed with the out of box functionality of my Nexus 7 compared to my Samsung phone had to waste a few days trying to find decent wallpapers, file browser, most basic apps and a video player that actually played my files etc.
I look at that as a big plus. That way, I'm able to customize my Nexus 7 the way I want it; not the way someone else thinks I should have it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I look at that as a big plus. That way, I'm able to customize my Nexus 7 the way I want it; not the way someone else thinks I should have it.
It's more the lack of codecs that bothered me I've yet to find any files my Samsung won't just play with the default player on my Nexus I bought the Archos player and the codec pack and that still wouldn't play a few of my files.

I have settled on Dice Player after trying some others, same thing was true of office documents etc my Samsung came with Polaris office and that does the job and does it pretty well but on the Nexus the options are much costlier.
There are a lot of things I still need to find an decent alternative to that were out of the box on the Samsung a couple of examples being the stock browser and the power saving settings.

I will say the Nexus 7 was good value for money hardware wise but after all the praising of stock Android I've read on the internet (probably one of the reasons I bought the Nexus) I found the software fairly disappointing even buggy in places and my opinion after having both is I really think Samsungs Touchwiz is better all round.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Apple has been a victim of its own success. They have been milking their formula for hardware and software over and over with minor modifications. That is not a way to move forward, they need some radical new ideas or they will face a slow but steady decline. Their users are happy, but there is no great incentive to upgrade when a new model comes out and users of other brands see no reason to switch.

They have also distorted the market in the US. Phone buyers pay the same for iphones as they do for other phones, but telcos pay a lot more. Because when selling iphones in the US carriers have to take large minimum quantities off Apple's hands. It also means that carriers have to spend large amounts to advertise for the iphone and push the iphone on their sales floors. As others like Samsung grow more popular it will become more difficult to continue to pull this off. That means profitability will decline.

I am not saying that Apple can't do it, but they better have something really big up their sleeves if they want to return to their previous #1 position. For now they look like the new Microsoft. Which isn't bad.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #20
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I agree 100%!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
It's more the lack of codecs that bothered me I've yet to find any files my Samsung won't just play with the default player on my Nexus I bought the Archos player and the codec pack and that still wouldn't play a few of my files.

I have settled on Dice Player after trying some others, same thing was true of office documents etc my Samsung came with Polaris office and that does the job and does it pretty well but on the Nexus the options are much costlier.
There are a lot of things I still need to find an decent alternative to that were out of the box on the Samsung a couple of examples being the stock browser and the power saving settings.
MoboPlayer is well worth a look
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...4r.android.nil
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #22
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
People somehow think stock prices are something other than a popularity contest. Apple was insanely popular for a while in the stock market - probably too much so. Now they're coming back to earth, but what has changed substantively with their business? Nothing. Pundits will try to justify the stock drop by pointing out why Apple isn't king of the hill anymore, but it's all just guesses
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
I am on the customization side of the fence, but I can understand why a lot of people would prefer preloaded software. My tablet came bundled with applications that served everyone from the typical user to the technical user. The software was fully functional and of decent quality. If you're satisfied with those applications, the preloaded software saves you a great deal of time. If you're mostly interested in technology as a tool, and find shopping around for software boring or confusing, then the preloaded software saves you a great many headaches.

That said, I rooted my device and gutted it. It is now a dedicated ereader, with a couple of commuter games.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Whenever I install Office I always make sure and uncheck Outlook so it does not install.
Apache
MY friend, I might be wrong here, but it seems to me that in the old days MS pushed Outlook on to the customer. Nowadays I believe that they consider it something special that you pay extra for so it is a separate item and maybe that is why you can un-check the installation.

Likewise I think you used to pay extra for Power Point but now it is included in the base package.

Just a reversal of tactics.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I hope the water is not too deep here at this end of the pool. Cos that's when the big kids tend to dunk you leaving you wishing you hadn't dived in in the first place.

My mother in law has had a Galaxy Note as her first smart phone for nearly two months. It's the best thing that's ever happened. She doesn't know how to call us.
It's hillarious.

Meanwhile, getting back to the story, half the thread here agrees with the story that Apple is being left behind by not having all the extra features and the other half are complaining that they can't get rid of all the extra features from their Galaxy.

Before anyone flames me, I'm sure your Samsungs work great and you like them. I wouldn't pass up the chance to own one but I don't have a reason to own two telephones and you know what Apple die hards are like. The iPhone isn't exactly a lemon now is it?

And just to keep the spice in our life, what are the bundled features that come with Galaxy and missing from Apple that the avarage smartphone user is going to want? The ones in the story either weren't explained well (preaching to the converted) or didnt register as a deal breaker in the decision stakes for me.

No dunking please.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
And just to keep the spice in our life, what are the bundled features that come with Galaxy and missing from Apple that the avarage smartphone user is going to want? The ones in the story either weren't explained well (preaching to the converted) or didnt register as a deal breaker in the decision stakes for me.
As I said in my post above, it isn't that the apps included with the latest Samsungs are particularly ground-breaking, it's the way they are being advertised. The ads portray a device with a suite of apps ready to go, which people like my wife are finding an attractive package.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #27
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have tried a lot of Google android apps searching for the best of a kind. I have removed the lesser quality ones from my phone. Why can't I remove them from the Play Store?
If I'm understanding you correctly you can remove apps that you have downloaded and uninstalled from your phone, from your account on the Play Store.

Go into the Play Store from your phone, go into My Apps -> All -> Scroll to the app you have uninstalled from your phone and hit the grey circle with the cross through it. This only works on free apps that you have downloaded though, not on any you have paid for.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
As I said in my post above, it isn't that the apps included with the latest Samsungs are particularly ground-breaking, it's the way they are being advertised. The ads portray a device with a suite of apps ready to go, which people like my wife are finding an attractive package.

Graham
Thanks for the reply Graham, but it didn't answer my question as to what they were so I just googled Galaxy S4 features and the first on the list is a review from The Guardian 1 hour old

It's an evolution of the prior model and despite some improvements, it still is especially weak in the software Samsung adds to basic Android. I found Samsung's software often gimmicky, duplicative of standard Android apps, or, in some cases, only intermittently functional.

So that sure didn't help things along. I guess you're always gonna get conflicting reviews. Just like my neighbours wife when she recommending movies. Whatever you do don't go and watch one she likes. I'd rather poke my eye out with a fork.

Anyway, I'll have a little bit more of a look around and see if I can find what I was looking for.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I've read this elsewhere. I wonder if this was done after a certain date. The LG Optimus L9 I mentioned in my previous post was released in 2012. FizzyWater's phone was also released in 2012. The GSII was released in 2011. All three phones run on ICS or higher. So why does the GSII allow apps to be moved to the SD card while those two phones don't?
I had an original Galaxy S, and there were some apps that could be moved to the SD card and some that couldn't. But, more importantly, if I moved an app to the SD card *I could no longer use their custom widget on the home screen.* Which meant that several of my most useful apps could be moved, but because their usefulness was in their home screen widget, I had to leave them on the phone.

Samsung stopped supporting my phone after Gingerbread, so it might be something that was improved for later phones with newer versions of the OS. I don't know; I have an iPhone now.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Good option, but I personally prefer MX player, I use it on my Nexus 10 and it is flawless, plays anything I throw at it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote