Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Crowdfunding: E-ink dev board & SDK with screens up to 9.7"

The same group of people who started the campaign to fund an E-ink Monitor / Ebook Reader have come up with another idea: an E-ink-compatible board just for developers.

The new Indiegogo campaign has been set up so that you can pick from a variety of displays. There's the standard 6" display with or without capacitive touch and/or a frontlight, and they also have grayscale 9.7" and color 8" E-ink displays. If you don't care about electronic paper, you can also choose a 7" LCD with touch.

The board itself has a 1GHz Cortex A8 CPU, 512MB of DDR3 RAM, 4GB flash memory, Wi-Fi, a 3.5mm headphone jack, a speaker, USB host and OTG support, and HDMI output.

Now, I do quite a bit of tinkering with my Kobo devices, and I'm quite happy with how hackable they are. But If I had the extra cash I'd seriously consider getting myself one or two of these dev boards
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Their first project did not make much sense because no large screen with front light is available. Who would like to use a small vertically positioned E-ink screen next to a large and bright regular desktop monitor ? Indoors, placed vertically and without front light, an E-ink screen is much grayer than the front lit readers people have been using for a year, and really dark and unpleasant to read next to a bright monitor.
Their new project lacks the software side. We know the difference between a buggy e-reader and a bug-free pleasant reading experience. It might become interesting later if some programmers develop the software side real well.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Their new project lacks the software side. We know the difference between a buggy e-reader and a bug-free pleasant reading experience. It might become interesting later if some programmers develop the software side real well.
This project is not for end users. It is specifically for people interested in doing interesting things in software on an eInk device. It certainly shouldn't be considered an e-reader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Home automation.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Having recently got my mini-eink displays (via kickstarter) this seems kind of interesting. But since I mostly want a big e-ink display for books I do wonder how useful it would actually be. Their dev board is wildly overpowered for static content, so I'd be looking at replacing it with a circuit board I'd have to design and build myself. But then, $150 for a 9.7" e-ink display is pretty reasonable. But that's quite a lot of work... so hard to decide.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
szobt
szobt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Having recently got my mini-eink displays (via kickstarter) this seems kind of interesting. But since I mostly want a big e-ink display for books I do wonder how useful it would actually be. Their dev board is wildly overpowered for static content, so I'd be looking at replacing it with a circuit board I'd have to design and build myself. But then, $150 for a 9.7" e-ink display is pretty reasonable. But that's quite a lot of work... so hard to decide.
Kindle, Kobo and co all use a Cortex ARM CPU. The dev board there uses a RK2918 Cortex A8 CPU too. Such a CPU is necessary to have a good user experience. Therefore, i do not think it is overpowered.
szobt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
developement, eink, indiegogo