Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #46
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once you go ePub, you never want to go back.
Seconded
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #47
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Sorry, too simple a statement. What are the benefits of epub for your average reading customer out there? There isn't any right at the moment.

I even would argue about a "once you go E-Ink you never want to go back" statement, but that's another topic.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #48
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Amazon is what's killing Mobipocket. I rarely buy ePud books eventhough I have a PRS-505. The Mobipocket software is way easier to me then Abode software. I always buy the Mobi book and format shift. I hope Mobipocket can survive. All Amazon has to do is allowed DRM Mobi with DRM ePud and I bet most 3rd party readers would include both on their devices!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Sorry, too simple a statement. What are the benefits of epub for your average reading customer out there? There isn't any right at the moment.
There is a major benefit and that is COMPATIBILITY. Since most eink readers will support ADE/ePub, it makes sense to go ePub. Also, most eBook shops outside the US sell ePub and ePub has become the dominant format outside the US. Also, libraries are starting to pick up on ePub so that means if your device supports ADE/ePub (as well as your library supporting overdrive eBooks and ePub), you can borrow ePub eBooks from the library and they will work. Since most devices don't support Mobipocket, having your library support epUb is very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #50
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
I am now thinking about contacting the publishers, explain the situation to them and ask them to send me the same ebooks I'm about to lose but then in ePub format. Am I not entitled to that? (thanks Studon.nl for the idea)
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #51
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am now thinking about contacting the publishers, explain the situation to them and ask them to send me the same ebooks I'm about to lose but then in ePub format. Am I not entitled to that? (thanks Studon.nl for the idea)
Wellll, quite an interesting idea. Hope it works. But since the publisher also had to invest (money/effort/manpower) into the creation of the epub file, isn't he entitled to sell it as some sort of second printing?

What about a reduced price for prc-customers if they buy the epub file? Would that be a considerable compromise?

Quote:
There is a major benefit and that is COMPATIBILITY. Since most eink readers will support ADE/ePub, it makes sense to go ePub. (...)
I was talking about the format itself, not about the support (at the moment). If you consider Amazon's .azw to be a derivative of prc most people reading e-Ink devices right now in terms of numbers use prc, not epub.
Also, most non-e-Ink devices like Smartphones, Organizers, Palm PDAs either support pdf (shudder), pdb (anyone still using it?) or, guess, prc.

Currently a minority of eBook readers around the world uses e-Ink devices displaying epub. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by K-Thom; 08-10-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Right, and not being able to read it on most of my devices would not be a large handicap? I'm not talking about the format, I'm talking about applications you can use to read with. So far, there is only one! epub reader. And while it does do the job, I just like mobipocket better. It has more features such as a dictionary and the ability to take notes. So, unless there are more applications to chose from and those applications do what I want them to do, I don't think I'll really look at epub unless how to shift them to mobipocket.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #53
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
I am now in the process of de-DRM'ing my beloved Mobipocket ebooks. Later, I will convert them to ePub using Calibre. Thanks fellow-forum members for the help. It's not that easy though. I think an average computer novice will not be able to figure out how to do this.
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #54
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I think anyone who can read (and follow instructions) can convert ebooks with Calibre. It's not hard. DRM removal isn't hard either - it's a matter of running scripts and following instructions.

I just think it's unfortunate that people have to do that to be able to enjoy previously purchased books on new devices.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #55
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I think anyone who can read (and follow instructions) can convert ebooks with Calibre. It's not hard. DRM removal isn't hard either - it's a matter of running scripts and following instructions.

I just think it's unfortunate that people have to do that to be able to enjoy previously purchased books on new devices.
Try to explain how it works to your mother... That is usually my comparison. And my mother does have a working knowledge of computers. But I doubt I'd be able to tell her how. If I would deliver her an executable, yes, but with a script, no.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #56
K-Thom
The one and only

Quote:
Try to explain how it works to your mother...
Also, it shouldn't be necessary for any customer to even consider it. Think about a book shop telling you how to reprint and bind a book you purchased just because paper fabric has changed ...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #57
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
That people have to is ridiculous. I simply dispute the point that the average person is unable to learn how.

Many people may not have the desire to put the effort in to learn how to strip DRM and format-shift their ebooks - but if they had that desire they could do it.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #58
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Unfortunately, DRM is likely to be around for many more moons since Amazon has a built-in user base with the Kindle. Amazon really appeals to the un-techie market. I am finding that most of my friends purchase the Kindle because it's easy to purchase and add books.
They give no thought to being able to read their ebooks on future or other devices. Most don't even try library books (and their libraries have thousands of ebooks) because it's too much trouble. Guess we have to realize that there is a hugh group of folks out there that will keep DRM alive and well.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #59
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
The new (beta) BeBook firmware update, which adds Adobe drm-ed ePub and pdf support to the first generation BeBook ereader, doesn't support drm-ed Mobipocket ebooks anymore, hence making your legally bought Mobipocket ebooks a heap of worthless bits&bytes
It's mostly just speculation at this point, but iRex customers will likely be in the same boat soon. They are also adding Adobe ePub/PDF support to the DR1000, and will likely have to remove Mobipocket DRM support. No official word from the company, but that's the only scenario I can see happening.

It sounds like a lot of devices are dumping the Mobi format. I'm sure their insistence on the exclusivity term in their license is causing a lot of this. Makes you wonder if Amazon will drop that term in order to try and save the format, or if they'll just let it die. I'm not sure how much Amazon really cares about Mobipocket other than what they do with it on the kindle.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #60
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Unfortunately, DRM is likely to be around for many more moons since Amazon has a built-in user base with the Kindle. Amazon really appeals to the un-techie market. I am finding that most of my friends purchase the Kindle because it's easy to purchase and add books.
Apple used to be in the same situation with the iPod and itunes DRM, which they finally got rid of. I think the difference is that Apple wanted to get rid of DRM (never wanted it in the first place), and the music industry finally gave up on it. The question is whether or not Amazon wants to get rid of DRM, and if the publishing industry is smart enough to learn anything from the music industry.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, drm, firmware, mobipocket, update