Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Firmware 3.2.0

It looks like the 3.2.0 version of the firmware is soon to be released.

So, here's a thread to discuss it.

Last edited by murg; 02-12-2014 at 03:59 PM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
He, he, I saw davidfor updating Kobo Touch driver in Calibre source code but I didn't think the release was going to be so imminent. Waiting for download link.

I just hope some of the rendering bugs (and wifi issues although I don't suffer them) are gone forever.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Hiro-kun
Hiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
I already have 3.2.0. Here's the thread where I had all sorts of problems after updating to it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233795
Hiro-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
He, he, I saw davidfor updating Kobo Touch driver in Calibre source code but I didn't think the release was going to be so imminent. Waiting for download link.
Neither did I. But I was only expecting another day.
Quote:
I just hope some of the rendering bugs (and wifi issues although I don't suffer them) are gone forever.
The recent WiFi bug was one of the things they were trying to fix.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

SO! Hate to sound like a broken record, but ... Kobo Nickel font line height fixed?

Last edited by Joques; 02-12-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro-kun View Post
I already have 3.2.0. Here's the thread where I had all sorts of problems after updating to it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233795
You mean the problems you had from a corrupted database?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Known changes in 3.2.0

Here are the changes that I know of in 3.2.0. It is based on my notes from the beta process. It probably isn't complete as sometimes something changes at the last minute, I miss something or because I forgot about a change.

This release concentrates on changes to highlighting. The release notes acknowledge this. They have a picture of the new highlight/annotation menu and the following points:
  • highlight text across multiple pages
  • see quick definitions for short phrases
  • select text more quickly and easily
There was also a heading for the above three points, but I didn't write the text down.

The selection menu is now a small popup near the selected text. It has the same options as before. If a word was selected, the dictionary lookup appears at the top or bottom of the screen depending on where the word is.

The selection mechanism has changed. It is faster, and I think more accurate. The highlighting across pages only works for kepubs. To do it, select some text and drag to the top left corner or bottom right corner. It will then turn the page backwards or forwards and selects the text on that page. If you hold your finger in the corner, it keeps turning the page and selecting the text. Move your finger away from the corner, find the last word you want selected and lift your finger to stop selection.

For the "quick definitions", Kobo said: "This is available only if there is a definition entry for the two adjacent words you¹ve selected." But, I haven't managed to get it working.

The were two other areas they were working on. One for diagnostics. Under "Help" there is a "Diagnostic info" section. This allows you to send info to Kobo for diagnostics.

The other part was for the Aura and adding more multi-touch gestures. One mentioned was "Pinch to zoom". I don't have an Aura, so I don't know how it works.

Other changes I can think of are:
  • Dictionary lookup is back on the in book menu.
  • When you select a highlight or annotation in the book, the menu has an option to delete it.
As to bugs that have been fixed:
  • Kobo did a lot of work on the recent WiFi problems. This wasn't something that affected me until I removed the DHCP reservations for my devices. It seems to be fixed.
  • Deleting annotations when opening the annotations list from the home page actually deletes them.
  • There is a Patience game with a few variations. At least, I think this is new.
Things that I know have not changed:
  • The long paragraph bug.
  • Kobo Nickel font line spacing.
  • Text cover used for screensaver for CBZ/CBR on the SD card.
  • Light not turning on when level is set to 1%.
  • Still no sorting by series.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Firmware 3.2.0 and calibre

With the version change, the KoboTouch driver in calibre will report the version is unsupported. This will be updated in the next calibre release. In the meantime, you can use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver configuration. This is completely safe to do.

If you are using the KoboTouchExtended driver, doing this is probably safe as well, but I have not tested it.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Thanks davidfor for the info - it sounds like I can happily give this one a miss. Which is good, because I don't know what an auto-update would do to the two-finger-swipe-brightness hack.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

For the hack to work with 3.2.0 a new kernel will be needed. But, it should also enable the new multi-touch features at the same time.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
From my POV, there are lots of fit and finish improvements without the addition of "features" that I don't care for. My sense as we worked on the betas was that most of the work went into the improved help features, rather than user facing things. Anything that improves tech support has to be a good thing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Thanks davidfor for the info - it sounds like I can happily give this one a miss.
Me too! Thank you for letting us know.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
Hiro-kun
Hiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blueHiro-kun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You mean the problems you had from a corrupted database?
Yes, it turns out that my database was corrupted. It happened to coincide with the firmware update so I originally assumed the two were related.
Hiro-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Well, I, for one, am very excited about the new highlighting improvements! I do lots of nonfiction reading for research, and have been frustrated by Kobo's poor performance in the highlighting area (Kindle has had highlight-across-page-breaks for at least three years now).

But I'll hold off updating (turn off Wi-Fi) until there's also an update to the night-mode hack. I can't live without that!

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 02-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Is this one for the Mini?
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote