Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #1216
tombates
tombates began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble getting Duokan installed on my K3. I downloaded the file named:

(K3)2013-07-12.27709.rtm.zip

and went here for installation instructions:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92#post2373392

However, I can't unzip the file. I am working in OSX on a MacBook, which may be responsible? The error I get is: http://cl.ly/image/2x3B3g133T2r

- what is a .rtm file, I dont' recognise?

- any tips to help me install?

Thanks again, I did search the thread for this but couldn't find anything - apologies if it's been covered already.
tombates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #1217
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombates View Post
However, I can't unzip the file..
It is a "regular" zip file. Your copy may be corrupted, try again after re-downloading it. rtm (maybe) stands for "version" but certainly not an extension.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #1218
tombates

Ah ok, thanks thomass

It was a corrupt version - tried to download 4 times now and it always completes less than half way through the download: 11MB, or 33MB etc.

Need to look for a UK mirror I think... any advice?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #1219
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Ah ok, thanks thomass

It was a corrupt version - tried to download 4 times now and it always completes less than half way through the download: 11MB, or 33MB etc.

Need to look for a UK mirror I think... any advice?
Try to download from the command-line, using wget. It should be able to resume aborted downloads automatically.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #1220
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Try to download from the command-line, using wget. It should be able to resume aborted downloads automatically.
On a Mac, that is called the: Terminal application.

http://www.freemacblog.com/exploring...r-on-your-mac/
Scroll down the page to its entry.
Follow the link in the "Terminal" description for more details.

And while working with Kindles, you might want easy access to the terminal application:
http://gigaom.com/2009/03/26/termina...le/#more-19907

Note:
Down at the command-line level, both the Kindle Linux and your Mac OSx can trace their ancestry back to Unix. The similarities are not accidental, there are "standards" in the Unix world.

Last edited by knc1; 07-16-2013 at 02:18 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #1221
tombates

Thanks guys, great idea. Didn't know Kindle OS was on Linux!

Had a poke around; no wget in OSX so am trying my luck with curl instead. Not sure if this resumes aborted downloads in the same way, but I'll let you know
Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #1222
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks guys, great idea. Didn't know Kindle OS was on Linux!

Had a poke around; no wget in OSX so am trying my luck with curl instead. Not sure if this resumes aborted downloads in the same way, but I'll let you know
Enter:
man curl

and/or:
http://www.topbug.net/blog/2013/04/1...s-in-mac-os-x/

I am not a Mac owner - so have not tried that resource, but there are other resources of command line tools for the Mac.

Last edited by knc1; 07-16-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #1223
tombates

Ok, managed the download which was pretty torturous but got there!

Then followed this:

Though I had 3.4 installed on my Kindle and chanced it by using the 3 bin files in the 'for 3.2.1 and 3.3 version update'. Which didn't work

Did the update in the Kindle settings and it said there was an error during update, and no dual boot screen after reboot.

Connected to Kindle again and the DK_System folder is where I left it, though one of the the thee bin files that I placed in the root (update_duokan_0b008.bin) is now gone... so I'm thinking a partial install?

Anyway, I think I'll have to call it a day here! Unless there are any words of wisdom?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #1224
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I've never used Duokan myself, so I can't help with any specifics. But you definitely can't install 3 update*.bins at the same time. I doubt that it really requires 3 update files to be installed, but in case it does, then you must install them one at a time.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #1225
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ok, managed the download which was pretty torturous but got there!

Then followed this:

Though I had 3.4 installed on my Kindle and chanced it by using the 3 bin files in the 'for 3.2.1 and 3.3 version update'. Which didn't work

Did the update in the Kindle settings and it said there was an error during update, and no dual boot screen after reboot.

Connected to Kindle again and the DK_System folder is where I left it, though one of the the thee bin files that I placed in the root (update_duokan_0b008.bin) is now gone... so I'm thinking a partial install?

Anyway, I think I'll have to call it a day here! Unless there are any words of wisdom?

Thanks again for all the help.
"one of the bin files that I placed in the root..."

I have never installed Dorkian, but in general, the Kindle updater can only handle a single *.bin file at a time.

If the Dorkian directions said to put them all in the root of user storage ***at the same time*** then ignore this post.
If not, then put them in one at a time.

Thomass???
Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #1226
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I've never used Duokan myself, so I can't help with any specifics. But you definitely can't install 3 update*.bins at the same time. I doubt that it really requires 3 update files to be installed, but in case it does, then you must install them one at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If the Dorkian directions said to put them all in the root of user storage ***at the same time*** then ignore this post.
If not, then put them in one at a time.
These three update files are for three different Kindle versions like the hack packages listed in this forum.

What you said is accurate but AFAIR putting three of them into Kindle is safe since only one of them is for a Kindle; and the remaining two files are not considered as an update file. (?)

Not all of them is needed on a single Kindle, and I think they (DuoKan Team ?) found it easier to say to users in that way and let the device itself choose the right file. One can delete other two files after a successfull installation.

Last edited by thomass; 07-17-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #1227
knc1
Going Viral

I opened the archive and read some of the scripting last night -

The one that "disappeared" (the -008 thing) is the closest one to your device and should be the only one you need to copy to the root when trying to do the install.

I guess the next thing to ask is "What was that error code" that you mentioned having been displayed.

PS: Somebody should teach that crew to use dos2unix on those text files.
No telling what grief that mixture of line endings is causing.

Last edited by knc1; 07-17-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #1228
JosephWebber
Enthusiast
JosephWebber began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle PW, PW3, Nook HD+
I downloaded the latest version of Duokan for my Paperwhite 5.3.0. I tried installing it but when I hit the Install button I got the finger!
The instructions say jailbreak first, but I thought the whole point of Duokan was that a jailbreak was not necessary. There is no way I am going to jailbreak my Paperwhite; I would rather stay with vanilla Kindle.
Any advice would be appreciated.
JosephWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #1229
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephWebber View Post
- - - -
The instructions say jailbreak first, but I thought the whole point of Duokan was that a jailbreak was not necessary. There is no way I am going to jailbreak my Paperwhite; I would rather stay with vanilla Kindle.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I have read some recent posts where people have reported they had to remove our jailbreak before Dorkian would install.
So - Maybe.

It would help if you would report the error code you where given.

- - - -

Big hint: Read the install scripting for both our jailbreak and Dorkian.

Our "Device Jailbreak" (there are others) **adds** one file (the public development certificate) to a directory in the Kindle image.
A minimum of side effects possible.

The Dorkian install adds/deletes/modifies the Kindle image files.
Great exposure to undesired side effects.

If you want to be careful and conservative with your device, installing Dorkian **is not** your best choice of action.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #1230
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
The instructions say jailbreak first, but I thought...
Which instruction did you use? Try the link on the first post.

Quote:
I thought the whole point of Duokan was that a jailbreak was not necessary.
This is because "some kind of" jailbreak included in Duokan installation process. Note that they use the same method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you want to be careful and conservative with your device, installing Dorkian **is not** your best choice of action.
agreed

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf